Chances at UT, University of Houston or Southern Methodist U

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
osalinas44

Chances at UT, University of Houston or Southern Methodist U

Postby osalinas44 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I have followed this forum for a while but this is my first post. I just recieved my June 2010 LSAT scores on Friday and I am satisfied with the score I got (161). My question is should I buy the Powerscore admissions help. I figure that I should since I will only be applying to law school once in my life and I might as well give it my best shot. Also if anybody has ever bought the Powerscore admissions help please post your review your experience. A little about myself....
GPA. 3.65
LSAT. 161
URM (Mexican American)
Residency- Texas
Worked through college, worked as a facilitator for a non-profit that taught life skills to juveniles who were at risk of being involved in gangs and also to those who had already been incarcerated before, worked at a museum giving tours, worked at an alternative school tutoring and trying to get kids to enroll in college and now I work as a researcher for an oil and gas company.

Also I interned for a congressman, went to D.C for an academic seminar for 17 days. I am also an Americorps volunteer, and have done quite a bit of volunteer activities (my favorite being Habitat for Humanity) For a year I was a Court Appointed Special Advocate for abused and neglected children.

I am also an athlete, I am a competative Boxer who has 25 fights and I have trained and fought during my college career.

I want to apply to quite a bit of places mostly here in Texas. I want to try to get into UT and I want to know if Admissions help from Powerscore will give me a better shot at being admitted to UT. Thank you for your time.

luhrenzo

Re: Chances at UT, University of Houston or Southern Methodist U

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:32 pm

haha almost a copy and paste from your previous thread.

i'd say you're a lock at UofH and almost a lock at SMU unless you killed someone or turn in a sloppy application packet

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:35 pm

luhrenzo wrote:haha almost a copy and paste from your previous thread.

i'd say you're a lock at UofH and almost a lock at SMU unless you killed someone or turn in a sloppy application packet

Funny yeah I want to get a bunch of different opinions. I like Dallas cause I am a Cowboys fan. Hopefully, they win go to the Super Bowl (again) some time before I die.

luhrenzo

Postby luhrenzo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:38 pm

osalinas44 wrote:

Funny yeah I want to get a bunch of different opinions. I like Dallas cause I am a Cowboys fan. Hopefully, they win go to the Super Bowl (again) some time before I die.

i think that's a GREAT reason to pick a law school (j/k i realize you were being comical)

im kind of in a similar situation. im right between getting into UT and money at SMU but it looks like I'll take a yr off unless i get into NYU or Vandy of the WLs

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 pm

luhrenzo wrote:
osalinas44 wrote:

i think that's a GREAT reason to pick a law school (j/k i realize you were being comical)

im kind of in a similar situation. im right between getting into UT and money at SMU but it looks like I'll take a yr off unless i get into NYU or Vandy of the WLs

Cool I think I want to be a criminal defense attorney so, in the end does it really matter where I go? Should I be looking at where I can get in at the best price?

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

osalinas44 wrote:
luhrenzo wrote:
osalinas44 wrote:

Cool I think I want to be a criminal defense attorney so, in the end does it really matter where I go? Should I be looking at where I can get in at the best price?

id be hesitant to say you are going to practice a particular type. interests, goals and circumstances change unpredictably over time. BUT if that doesnt matter to you i might look at some of the specialty rankings and worry more about affordability

rjr575

Postby rjr575 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:58 pm

You have a much better chance of getting into UT then most will think.

Make sure you apply for Early Decision.

As well, make yourself stand out from a diversity standpoint. Texas has one of the highest percentages of Mexican-American students. So be different, and impress admissions with a killer personal statement.

FYI, I am a Mexican (URM) with a higher GPA, but lower LSAT. And I am in at Texas with money.

Best of Luck

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:01 pm

rjr575 wrote:You have a much better chance of getting into UT then most will think.

Make sure you apply for Early Decision.

As well, make yourself stand out from a diversity standpoint. Texas has one of the highest percentages of Mexican-American students. So be different, and impress admissions with a killer personal statement.

FYI, I am a Mexican (URM) with a higher GPA, but lower LSAT. And I am in at Texas with money.

Best of Luck

Thanks that is good news, my goal is to submit my application by the middle of September.

Return to “What are my chances?”