3.89 / 170, contemplating October retake Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shoop

Bronze

3.89 / 170, contemplating October retake

Post by shoop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm

NUMBERS:
3.89 LSAC GPA
3.94 degree GPA from top-20 private (the 3.89 is due to some dual-enrollment BS in high school)
Highest undergraduate GPA in my school, which awarded ~150 bachelors degrees that year (UG had 8-9 separate schools)
170 June LSAT after PTing consistently in the mid-170s. Will probably retake this.

SOFTS:

-First-generation college student (first in my extended family to not grow up on a farm or do physical labor for a living, oldest of 9 siblings, from a small town where college attendance is not a popular post-secondary life path).
-Active in student government in UG (dorm government, campus-wide government, treasurer of campus government [$100,000], member of student group grant allocating committee [12 student members, $1.2M allocated])
-Studied abroad for one year at a top-5 university in the UK
-Working at a medium-sized law firm that is NOT trying to act like a BigLaw firm, for the last 2 years. I get real work, etc.
-Member of pro bono committee at said law firm
-Odd hobby (women's competitive bodybuilding)
-Community service/volunteering in the form of sewing special adaptive clothing for Iraq/Afghanistan veterans with limited mobility and/or external limb fixators. This is through a non-profit organization, Sew Much Comfort.

I was looking at T6 until this godawful LSAT showed up. Anyone care to chance me with my current numbers (3.89 / 170) AND throw in their .02 on whether a 175-176 on an October retake will improve my odds? I will probably apply ASAP in September with the 170 to my safety/lock schools, and wait to go complete on the T6 until the October LSAT is in.

I made a copy-paste list to assist all of you in mocking me and destroying my hopes. Your thoughts on how particular schools will view a take/retake are also welcome, including views on how much the "spread" matters (ie 170/178 significantly better than 170/175?).

Current Chances (3.89 / 170)

Harvard:
Stanford:
Columbia:
Chicago:
NYU:
Berkeley:
Penn:
Michigan:
Virginia: (I don't really want to go here)
Duke: (I don't really want to go here)
Northwestern:
Cornell:
Georgetown:

Chances with Favorable LSAT Retake (3.89 / 175-176)
Harvard:
Stanford:
Columbia:
Chicago:
NYU:
Berkeley:
Penn:
Michigan:
Virginia: (I don't really want to go here)
Duke: (I don't really want to go here)
Northwestern:
Cornell:
Georgetown:

Kretzy

Silver

Re: 3.89 / 170, contemplating October retake

Post by Kretzy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh, hai there numbers twin.

My cycle is here: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Kretzy

I'd say I got somewhat lucky; with our numbers we're generally good for at least one of the T6. Apply early, make the PS interesting, and get great recs. Every little piece will help you here.

PM if you have any specific questions, and good luck!

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Kretzy wrote:Oh, hai there numbers twin.

I'd say I got somewhat lucky; with our numbers we're generally good for at least one of the T6. Apply early, make the PS interesting, and get great recs. Every little piece will help you here.

Your softs are waaaaay cooler than mine, yo. Congrats on Stanford, though... even before the LSAT, I always felt better about my SLS chances than my HY odds. I might apply to Stanford as early as possible to get that advantage, hope and pray I don't get an outright rejection between September and late October, and update them with the new LSAT once it comes in.

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by bloodonthetracks on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

shoop wrote:

Your softs are waaaaay cooler than mine, yo. Congrats on Stanford, though... even before the LSAT, I always felt better about my SLS chances than my HY odds. I might apply to Stanford as early as possible to get that advantage, hope and pray I don't get an outright rejection between September and late October, and update them with the new LSAT once it comes in.
You're definitely in the range with a better chance at SLS than HY (and, I argue to some, a better chance at SLS than Columbia, given their LSAT preferences).

You've got a much more interesting background story than I do, and I'd really focus on that. Get your resume to a sleek and defined one-page, focusing on telling a coherent story through your ECs and involvement. Focus your PS on something geared toward the public-interest (for SLS, NYU and Boalt esp, and I'd say you have a great shot at the last two even with your current LSAT).

You're sort of at the range where a retake only helps for HYCC, and money at other schools. I'd apply in Sept, retake if you're feeling confident, and relax. You've got great numbers, interesting softs, and a good academic pedigree (which really does help at the top range of schools). Don't fret.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Kretzy wrote:
shoop wrote:

You're definitely in the range with a better chance at SLS than HY (and, I argue to some, a better chance at SLS than Columbia, given their LSAT preferences).

You've got a much more interesting background story than I do, and I'd really focus on that. Get your resume to a sleek and defined one-page, focusing on telling a coherent story through your ECs and involvement. Focus your PS on something geared toward the public-interest (for SLS, NYU and Boalt esp, and I'd say you have a great shot at the last two even with your current LSAT).

You're sort of at the range where a retake only helps for HYCC, and money at other schools. I'd apply in Sept, retake if you're feeling confident, and relax. You've got great numbers, interesting softs, and a good academic pedigree (which really does help at the top range of schools). Don't fret.
You are supremely kind and reassuring. If I end up at SLS, I will find you and bake cookies for you.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:01 pm

shoop wrote: If I end up at SLS, I will find you and bake cookies for you.
Sweet :) I do love cookies.

Also, I forgot to mention, take advantage of the SLS-specific recommendation forms. If two of your faculty recommenders don't mind spending 20 more minutes on them, it'll show a dedication on your part that they really like to see. They'll be with the online application. They don't have to write SLS-specific recs, just fill out the forms and send them to the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”