Friend's chances with 165/170/3.04

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kmap

Friend's chances with 165/170/3.04

Postby kmap » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am

I'm asking this on behalf of a close friend who is applying this fall for 2011. He started off in engineering at an Ivy UG, which he hated, and it brought down his GPA, so he wound up with a 3.04 despite doing better in his ultimate major (poli sci). Took the LSAT twice, 165 first time, 170 this June. I have total faith he'll do a few points better when he takes it again this October. He wants to practice law in a big city (Chicago, NYC, Boston, SF, etc.) but isn't too picky about where. He's not debt-averse and he'll get a significant amount of need-based aid because of his financial situation, so lets assume money isn't an issue, and he wants to go to the best school he can get into. Do folks think he has a shot at T14? Does he need to ED somewhere? He's been out of school for 8 years, so NU is definitely high on the list. I don't know how damning that GPA is, though.

Patriot1208

Re: Friend's chances with 165/170/3.04

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:47 am

kmap wrote:I'm asking this on behalf of a close friend who is applying this fall for 2011. He started off in engineering at an Ivy UG, which he hated, and it brought down his GPA, so he wound up with a 3.04 despite doing better in his ultimate major (poli sci). Took the LSAT twice, 165 first time, 170 this June. I have total faith he'll do a few points better when he takes it again this October. He wants to practice law in a big city (Chicago, NYC, Boston, SF, etc.) but isn't too picky about where. He's not debt-averse and he'll get a significant amount of need-based aid because of his financial situation, so lets assume money isn't an issue, and he wants to go to the best school he can get into. Do folks think he has a shot at T14? Does he need to ED somewhere? He's been out of school for 8 years, so NU is definitely high on the list. I don't know how damning that GPA is, though.

"your friend" will not get significant need based aid because aid in law school is primarily merit based. Yes he has a shot at lower t14, really needs to try and ED at uva, nw, or the like. But by no means is the t14 guaranteed.

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 am

Tell the friend to do the research and decide:

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/applications

kmap

Postby kmap » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
kmap wrote:I'm asking this on behalf of a close friend who is applying this fall for 2011. He started off in engineering at an Ivy UG, which he hated, and it brought down his GPA, so he wound up with a 3.04 despite doing better in his ultimate major (poli sci). Took the LSAT twice, 165 first time, 170 this June. I have total faith he'll do a few points better when he takes it again this October. He wants to practice law in a big city (Chicago, NYC, Boston, SF, etc.) but isn't too picky about where. He's not debt-averse and he'll get a significant amount of need-based aid because of his financial situation, so lets assume money isn't an issue, and he wants to go to the best school he can get into. Do folks think he has a shot at T14? Does he need to ED somewhere? He's been out of school for 8 years, so NU is definitely high on the list. I don't know how damning that GPA is, though.

"your friend" will not get significant need based aid because aid in law school is primarily merit based. Yes he has a shot at lower t14, really needs to try and ED at uva, nw, or the like. But by no means is the t14 guaranteed.

It is my friend. I'm HLS c/o 2013.

Return to “What are my chances?”