Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
loptimist
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 am

Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby loptimist » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:48 pm

I originally posted this under someone else's thread but I decided to open a new thread and ask for advice.

I am an Asian with Permanent Residency.
I have 3.97 GPA (B.Science) from Carnegie Mellon University.
I took my first LSAT on Dec. 2009, the month when I graduated, and scored only 161. - no excuse. I failed it miserably.

Then, I took one again this June 2010 but this time I only got 167 :(
I missed frigging 10 on the last Reading Comprehension section - the game section before screwed me up.
I usually got 175+ on PTs - so sad.

Anyways, these are my LSAT scores and GPA, and I wonder how badly will Columbia look at my multiple low LSAT scores,
and what would be my chance of getting admitted if I apply to Early Decision plan.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
agentdedalus
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby agentdedalus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 pm

minsookim wrote:I missed frigging 10 on the last Reading Comprehension section - the game section before screwed me up.
I usually got 175+ on PTs - so sad.


if you're truly averaging 175+, retake. with that GPA and an LSAT of 170+ you'll have a shot anywhere. as it stands, ED at Columbia could go either way. don't be discouraged by two bad tests... regroup and nail it the third time around.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Your high GPA and B.S. give you a shot at Columbia ED, but it's still a long shot.

loptimist
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 am

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby loptimist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 am

thanks for replies.

User avatar
samsonyte16
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby samsonyte16 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

Virtually no non-URM's get into Columbia with below a 168-169 and your profile doesn't sound unique/outstanding enough to make you an exception. Right now you have a reasonable shot at the schools one tier below Columbia. Berkeley seems like it would be a good fit - are you interested in intellectual property stuff, given your science background? Alternatively, you could apply ED to one of Michigan, UVA, or Penn. If Columbia is where you absolutely have to be, you should retake.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 am

Are cheating on your PTs? If not retake. Who cares if CCN averages (and I don't think they do average as a rule), you aren't getting into to them anyway.

If you do get a 175, don't ED to Columbia. You've got a shot at YHS.

loptimist
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 am

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby loptimist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I do really want to go to Columbia for intellectual property.

To increase my chances, I plan to apply to T14s as early as possible - which is September,
but then the next LSAT is on October. :/
Should I apply to schools with what I have now (plus ED to Columbia),
and then re-send updated LSAT scores?

Also, I have already taken all the PTs.
Not sure how to prepare for the Oct. exam, any tips?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:07 pm

loptimist wrote:I do really want to go to Columbia for intellectual property.

To increase my chances, I plan to apply to T14s as early as possible - which is September,
but then the next LSAT is on October. :/
Should I apply to schools with what I have now (plus ED to Columbia),
and then re-send updated LSAT scores?

Also, I have already taken all the PTs.
Not sure how to prepare for the Oct. exam, any tips?


You aren't going to get the early bonus if they have to wait for your LSAT score. The good news is that even if you apply just after Oct scores release, you are still early.

Early does help, but it's not even worth 1 LSAT point.

loptimist
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:24 am

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby loptimist » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
loptimist wrote:I do really want to go to Columbia for intellectual property.

To increase my chances, I plan to apply to T14s as early as possible - which is September,
but then the next LSAT is on October. :/
Should I apply to schools with what I have now (plus ED to Columbia),
and then re-send updated LSAT scores?

Also, I have already taken all the PTs.
Not sure how to prepare for the Oct. exam, any tips?


You aren't going to get the early bonus if they have to wait for your LSAT score. The good news is that even if you apply just after Oct scores release, you are still early.

Early does help, but it's not even worth 1 LSAT point.


But since ED deadline for Columbia is Nov. 15th, I thought I still can update my Oct. LSAT score before the due?
Assuming that I will get 170+.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby dood » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:13 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Multiple LSAT 161/167 with 3.97 GPA . ED to Columbia?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:26 pm

loptimist wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
loptimist wrote:I do really want to go to Columbia for intellectual property.

To increase my chances, I plan to apply to T14s as early as possible - which is September,
but then the next LSAT is on October. :/
Should I apply to schools with what I have now (plus ED to Columbia),
and then re-send updated LSAT scores?

Also, I have already taken all the PTs.
Not sure how to prepare for the Oct. exam, any tips?


You aren't going to get the early bonus if they have to wait for your LSAT score. The good news is that even if you apply just after Oct scores release, you are still early.

Early does help, but it's not even worth 1 LSAT point.


But since ED deadline for Columbia is Nov. 15th, I thought I still can update my Oct. LSAT score before the due?
Assuming that I will get 170+.


Yea, you'll be ready in time if you take the Oct test.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest