Splitter: 3.56/176

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kiwi917

Splitter: 3.56/176

Postby Kiwi917 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:22 pm

I have looked at the calculators but would be interested in opinions on how some additional factors may help or hurt my chances:

1. Previous LSAT - 162 in 2005: I know I will have to explain the 14 point improvement, but will the fact that the older score is almost 5 years old make schools any less likely to scrutinize this?
2. Undergrad school: most law schools do not care much about this, but will the fact that I went to a top ivy college help at all?
3. GPA trend: I started out with a 3.1 but had a 3.84 and 3.88 in junior and senior year, and 4.0 for semester abroad. I was on the pre-med track freshman year and had mono during the winter; is it a good idea to write this in an addendum? The coursework in the later years is more similar to what I anticipate in law school, so I think those grades are more indicative of how I will perform. What is the best way to communicate that in my applications?
4. Work experience: I have been out of college for 4 years and working as an analyst in finance/administration at a public university. It is not directly in the legal field, but there are enough related areas that I think I can explain why my experience has led me to deciding to go to law school.

I am planning to work in New England or California and would ideally like to go to a national school that will give me decent job prospects on either coast. Here is my preliminary list of schools:

Extreme reaches - Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley
All others in no particular order:
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UCLA
USC
USF
BU
BC
Georgetown
NYU
Columbia
Any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Splitter: 3.56/176

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:I have looked at the calculators but would be interested in opinions on how some additional factors may help or hurt my chances:

1. Previous LSAT - 162 in 2005: I know I will have to explain the 14 point improvement, but will the fact that the older score is almost 5 years old make schools any less likely to scrutinize this?
2. Undergrad school: most law schools do not care much about this, but will the fact that I went to a top ivy college help at all?
3. GPA trend: I started out with a 3.1 but had a 3.84 and 3.88 in junior and senior year, and 4.0 for semester abroad. I was on the pre-med track freshman year and had mono during the winter; is it a good idea to write this in an addendum? The coursework in the later years is more similar to what I anticipate in law school, so I think those grades are more indicative of how I will perform. What is the best way to communicate that in my applications?
4. Work experience: I have been out of college for 4 years and working as an analyst in finance/administration at a public university. It is not directly in the legal field, but there are enough related areas that I think I can explain why my experience has led me to deciding to go to law school.

I am planning to work in New England or California and would ideally like to go to a national school that will give me decent job prospects on either coast. Here is my preliminary list of schools:

Extreme reaches - Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley
All others in no particular order:
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UCLA
USC
USF
BU
BC
Georgetown
NYU
Columbia
Any others I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

You need to apply to UChi, Michigan and Penn as well. I wouldn't go to UC Davis or Hastings, or USF with your numbers.

Return to “What are my chances?”