English with a 158.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

English with a 158.

Postby Rob_Riv » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Not sure how many international students there are here, or that are familiar with GPA outside of the US or Canada, but I'll try to explain where I'm at. If anyone has advice for an English student, I'm listening.

Firstly, the LSAT, I didn't do as much prep as I could have done, however, I was getting mid to high 160s, and was improving on each practice test. I'm familiar with much of the test as I've got a qualification in Critical Thinking. I have the time to do essentially all the PTs if I retake.

I felt the test went very well, although I was slightly annoyed that a very easy Logic Games section was my experimental, the second wasn't so bad either. Walking out, I felt like this was likely a 170. I find out that it's a 158. I may be wrong, but I can't seem to access my score breakdown in each section, but this is due to be being outside of the US and Canada. A 158 is really nothing where I should be.

As for GPA, there seems to be no official rule on how you convert degree scores, I believe I can represent myself with, at least, a 3.3 (worst case scenario), and if I just ace the Fall term, I've read I can quote that score, which would probably be a 3.7. There seems to be no way to ever quote a 4.0.

So, I went with the plan that, if I cannot represent my score on an equal playing field to my rival applicants, I can at least do damn well in the LSAT. Then I didn't. The LSAT test centre isn't really near where I live, it's really not ideal. I was looking at Duke, Cornell, Michigan, so towards the easier schools to get into from the T14. As for softs, I think I have a few things, but it could be better (I ran a radio station for a year which I won an award for, I've done a lot of volunteering work with a local music organisation, there are a few other things I can talk about I think).

I've checked out sites linked here, and know that with a 170-172, I'd have been fine if I could get my GPA up also. I'm expecting no further information on my LSAT score breakdown. I'm going to have to retake the LSAT and ace it ... aren't I?

Re: English with a 158.

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Of course retake it.

What was your PT avg and were you PTing under realistic conditions?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Retake. With a foreign GPA, you aren't going to get into any school if you don't at least hit their LSAT median.

Postby Rob_Riv » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Yeah, I took them under the standard amount of time, under pretty similar conditions. I didn't include time for an experimental section, but I felt fine on the day. I averaged 167 or so, fell down due to time in the RC. Was fine on the day though. It's so frustrating due to the effort and cost (in time and money) of a retake.

Desert Fox, do you know much about foreign GPAs? I'm looking to find out anything that I can.

Return to “What are my chances?”