168/3.92, 3+ intense years of public service

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
makeithappen

168/3.92, 3+ intense years of public service

Postby makeithappen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I have been waiting a few months to receive an LSAT score and finally post on this busy site, and now I finally have one so here it goes.

I want to get into public interest law-- most likely human rights, immigration or something similar-- and all my prior experiences clearly point in that direction. I won't put too much detail here, but let's say that out of Americorps, Peace Corps and Teach For America, I will have completed 2 out of 3 by the time I enroll in law school. The 3.92 was at a top 5 public school, studying literature and economics. I am not a URM.

I've tried to use lawschoolnumbers and those other "measure your self-worth using just your LSAT and GPA!" sites, but they don't exactly factor in my extensive public service, which I would have to hope counts for something. So I'm hoping you can help me figure out just how "soft" softs really are.

So... what are my chances at the following and how much would ED make a difference?

HYS (I hear Stanford takes particular interest in public service... would they reach for a 168?)

CCN (I'm seriously debating ED to Chicago or NYU. How much will it affect my chances there?)

Mich, Berkeley, NU, GTown

I will most likely apply to all 10 of these schools, possibly a few more, but I would be really happy with any of them if it came down to it.

So... what are my chances? Thanks!

PS- I'm also seriously considering applying for joint degrees for an MPA or MPP, with a focus in international development economics. Dunno if that will in any way affect my chances anywhere since most programs require completely separate acceptance to both schools, but just throwing it out there.

TheBigMediocre

Re: 168/3.92, 3+ intense years of public service

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Throwing this post out there mostly to tag the thread because I'm interested in the replies, but there is a TLS poster who got Stanford with your LSAT. He stressed the importance of going over your Stanford application over and over again with a fine-toothed comb. He even gave his LOR writers bullet point lists of why he wanted to attend Stanford, etc.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 pm

Boalt is an excellent option, and since you'll be above both medians, you may very well get a good scholly offer there. Stanford is a real possibility for you, but it is far from a lock. As for public interest, NYU is a great choice, but they love the LSAT and it might be hard for you to get in. You are smart to apply broadly throughout the T14 and Also, Michigan is good too. I would apply broadly in the T14, but focus on S, B, and NYU. For those three schools, do a lot to show that you are serious about attending if accepted, especially S and B.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Honestly, you've got a shot at Stanford. I wouldn't call it a great shot, but you're above median GPA and either at or right above the 25th LSAT (depending on the year). Plus, they throw mind-boggling amounts of need-based aid at folks and have one of the 2-3 best Loan Assistance (LRAP) programs in the country.

That being said, ED to NYU, Columbia or Chicago would probably mean you're in. I'd say that if you apply early to HYSCCN, you'll probably have a great shot at NYU and a decent shot at Chicago, even applying RD.

I almost applied ED to Chicago last year as well. Really glad I didn't. If you'll regret not knowing whether Stanford would've said "yes," I wouldn't ED. Also keep in mind that NYU and Columbia have more generous Loan Assistance programs than Chicago (at present), and you'll likely be paying sticker at any of those three were you to get in.

Good luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”