174/3.92 Merit Scholarships Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
karcirate

New

174/3.92 Merit Scholarships

Post by karcirate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:07 am

So I have been out of UG and will have been working full time for 5 years as a software engineer by the time I start law school. I am doing extremely well at my current job (=6 figures), but do not see myself enjoying my future career (IT management) and so decided to follow what my heart has been telling me for years and go to LS.

(I majored in in Computer Science.)

Just took the June LSAT and scored 174, and my LSAC GPA is 3.92.

Would like to know what you guys think my chances for merit scholarships are at Columbia, NYU, and Harvard (assuming I get in...)

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by karcirate on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

redsox

Silver

Re: 174/3.92 Merit Scholarships

Post by redsox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

karcirate wrote:Would like to know what you guys think my chances for merit scholarships are at Colombia!
Drugs?

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

harvard>scholarships. hth.

kmap

New

Post by kmap » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:12 am

Harvard doesn't give out merit scholarships. Harvard itself is the prize.

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:13 am

Harvard does not give merit based aid, only need based. Seeing that you're currently making six figures, I don't think you're going to get any money from them.

Just glancing at LSN profiles of people who have numbers, I'd guess you have a pretty good shot at money from NYU and Columbia: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

EDIT: Actually, after clicking through a few more of those profiles, "pretty good" may have been an overly optimistic assessment. Either way it seems like you do have a decent shot at some money, though not necessarily a large amount. It seems for some reason that Chicago is more generous to people with your numbers, as it seemed a lot of people with your numbers had $60K scholarships from Chicago.
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

agentdedalus

New

Post by agentdedalus » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:14 am

karcirate wrote:Would like to know what you guys think my chances for merit scholarships are at Colombia
You're a shoe-in for an Escobar.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 am

agentdedalus wrote:
karcirate wrote:Would like to know what you guys think my chances for merit scholarships are at Colombia
You're a shoe-in for an Escobar.
Nice.

karcirate

New

Post by karcirate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:Harvard does not give merit based aid, only need based. Seeing that you're currently making six figures, I don't think you're going to get any money from them.
I will be leaving my job to go to school... Yes, I am insane.

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 am

karcirate wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:Harvard does not give merit based aid, only need based. Seeing that you're currently making six figures, I don't think you're going to get any money from them.
I will be leaving my job to go to school...
I'm guessing that you will keep your job until you're actually accepted to law schools, right? In that case when you fill out financial aid paperwork and it asks you how much money you made in the previous year you will be listing six figures. They will use that and any savings you have accumulated to determine your neediness.

Also, I'm not sure about Harvard's policy about reporting parental information, but a lot of schools require you to report the financial status of your parents regardless of whether they will contribute or not. Though, since you're older, I'm not sure whether you are still required to report parental information... anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

karcirate

New

Post by karcirate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:36 am

Not planning on having any savings when I apply. Gonna try to put it in some kind of escrow that will be used to pay my mortgage while I am in school. Also, why do they care how much I made before I went to school if I have no savings and will not continue working... it's kinda irrelevant, isn't it?

And - I am married with 2 kids, so I don't think my broke parent's financials will come into play that much.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 am

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 am

karcirate wrote:Not planning on having any savings when I apply. Gonna try to put it in some kind of escrow that will be used to pay my mortgage while I am in school. Also, why do they care how much I made before I went to school if I have no savings and will not continue working... it's kinda irrelevant, isn't it?

And - I am married with 2 kids, so I don't think my broke parent's financials will come into play that much.
wait, you have a mortgage, a wife and 2 kids, and a six figure job? not trying to be snarky, but why do you want to go to law school?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:43 am

karcirate wrote:Not planning on having any savings when I apply. Gonna try to put it in some kind of escrow that will be used to pay my mortgage while I am in school. Also, why do they care how much I made before I went to school if I have no savings and will not continue working... it's kinda irrelevant, isn't it?

they dont count savings, they count assets (stocks, real estates, retirement fund, etc.) so no matter how you move around your funds it'll still get counted.

That said, being married and having 2 kids might give you some grant money, but still not a substantial portion as even the most needy HLS students are still expected to take out a minimum amount of subsidized loans.

At this point theres nothing you can do but just apply and wait for the results.. you have a great shot at 60k or more from Chicago and decent chances at similar half tuition to full tuition scholarships at Columbia and NYU (probably closer to half).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”