173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mueh
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby mueh » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:46 pm

3 LSATs (168 - Sep 09, 168 - Dec 09, 173 - Jun 10)
GPA: 3.6 LSDAS
International applicant
2 yrs of work experience in finance at a bulge bracket firm (still working)
Received decent LORs from my ex employers

I am very thrilled with my June 2010 LSAT score, but not sure how much a) multiple lsat scores, and b) reapplying would hurt my chances at the top schools...

would appreciate if you could share your thoughts! thanks!

mueh
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby mueh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 am

bump...

mueh
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby mueh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 pm

bump after 2 months...

any advice?
maybe i should ED?

would appreciate any advice...

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby sophia.olive » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Ed to CCN if you want, but i would look for money at the lower t14 or t20.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby Moxie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:32 pm

I think you're looking good for Chicago and NYU. Columbia could be a bit of a toss-up. ED might help there, if you're willing to pay sticker.

Check out LSN if you haven't already.

kevin261186
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby kevin261186 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:35 pm

as an international applicant OP will be paying sticker everywhere.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby Sentry » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Moxie wrote:I think you're looking good for Chicago and NYU. Columbia could be a bit of a toss-up. ED might help there, if you're willing to pay sticker.

Check out LSN if you haven't already.

Doesn't NYU average LSATs? If so then he's actually a 3.6 170 which is below both medians. I don't know if Chicago averages though.

The Real Jack McCoy
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm

kevin261186 wrote:as an international applicant OP will be paying sticker everywhere.


Not true.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Sentry wrote:Doesn't NYU average LSATs? If so then he's actually a 3.6 170 which is below both medians. I don't know if Chicago averages though.


Anecdotal evidence has been said that NYU sometimes averages and sometimes doesn't.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, looking at LSN it looks like those numbers offer you good chances at all of CCN.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Your best shot is Chicago or NYU. Columbia is probably out. If you are comfortable paying sticker I would consider ED to either of the two.

I had similar stats and I got WL'd at all three (3.56 / 163,166,174). You should be competitive for money at MVP.

It's hard getting a grasp on the effect of multiple scores, but I think the 3 scores will hurt your shot at CCN--especially at schools were they already do average a lot of scores like NYU.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby CG614 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Your best shot is Chicago or NYU. Columbia is probably out. If you are comfortable paying sticker I would consider ED to either of the two.

I had similar stats and I got WL'd at all three (3.56 / 163,166,174). You should be competitive for money at MVP.

It's hard getting a grasp on the effect of multiple scores, but I think the 3 scores will hurt your shot at CCN--especially at schools were they already do average a lot of scores like NYU.

163->166->174 is not close to 168 -> 168-> 173. The latter is in the 95th percentile the whole time.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:17 pm

CG614 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Your best shot is Chicago or NYU. Columbia is probably out. If you are comfortable paying sticker I would consider ED to either of the two.

I had similar stats and I got WL'd at all three (3.56 / 163,166,174). You should be competitive for money at MVP.

It's hard getting a grasp on the effect of multiple scores, but I think the 3 scores will hurt your shot at CCN--especially at schools were they already do average a lot of scores like NYU.

163->166->174 is not close to 168 -> 168-> 173. The latter is in the 95th percentile the whole time.


What's your point? He's still below median with both LSAT and GPA if they average. With just two scores, I would argue that bigger gaps are actually preferable since it's easier to make the argument that the low number is non-representative. With three scores total with two being on the low end (like both of us), it's a different scenario though.

Why do you think my situation is not close to OP's? There's not too many 3 score people out there in the 99th percentile with a similar GPA...

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby CG614 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Your best shot is Chicago or NYU. Columbia is probably out. If you are comfortable paying sticker I would consider ED to either of the two.

I had similar stats and I got WL'd at all three (3.56 / 163,166,174). You should be competitive for money at MVP.

It's hard getting a grasp on the effect of multiple scores, but I think the 3 scores will hurt your shot at CCN--especially at schools were they already do average a lot of scores like NYU.

163->166->174 is not close to 168 -> 168-> 173. The latter is in the 95th percentile the whole time.


What's your point? He's still below median with both LSAT and GPA if they average. With just two scores, I would argue that bigger gaps are actually preferable since it's easier to make the argument that the low number is non-representative. With three scores total with two being on the low end (like both of us), it's a different scenario though.

Why do you think my situation is not close to OP's? There's not too many 3 score people out there in the 99th percentile with a similar GPA...

B/C your 174 can be viewed as an outlier as much as your 163. A 173 is more in the range of a 168.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:05 pm

CG614 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Why do you think my situation is not close to OP's? There's not too many 3 score people out there in the 99th percentile with a similar GPA...

B/C your 174 can be viewed as an outlier as much as your 163. A 173 is more in the range of a 168.


If someone from admissions is trying to make sense of the multiple scores and foregoing just the reaction of taking the highest score both trains of thought still seem to lead to the same thing: just averaging them. Do you think they are less likely to average a high score that has lower scores closer to its range? I would think that would lead more often to a situation to where the scores are averaged, since they all seem to be in the same range.

In the past, either NYU or Columbia actually worded their averaging policy in their FAQ about multiple LSAT scores, giving a possible exception to those with something like a 9 or 10 point different and who wrote an addendum.

mueh
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 am

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby mueh » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:39 am

thanks for the replies everyone!

yeah i am still undecided about to which school to ed... i want to aim for columbia/nyu, since my wife's interested doing masters in one of the art schools in ny, but don't want to end up being waitlisted at all 3 schools due to bad decision on ED...
for the note, i applied to columbia last yr with 168/168 with the same gpa, and was waitlisted / reserved until end of June when I was taken off the waitlisted and rejected.
since i was well below the median for both gpa and lsat back then, but still waitlisted until well into the cycle, i am maybe hopeful with a higher lsat score + another yr of work experience in finance...? (albeit multiple lsat & reapplication)

any thoughts on this?

oh and international applicants are eligible for scholarships i believe (merit based). but it is rare...

User avatar
2ofspades
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby 2ofspades » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:41 pm

mueh wrote:i want to aim for columbia/nyu, since my wife's interested doing masters in one of the art schools in ny, but don't want to end up being waitlisted at all 3 schools due to bad decision on ED...

NYU and CLS both average. Each will take the highest score in some cases - but I don't know that they would find an LSAT addendum persuasive when you had two prior scores, both in the high 160s. Even if they took your 173, most 173 / ~3.6s were WLed last year at both schools. Chicago, however, takes the highest score, seems promising for your numbers on LSN, and is your best shot at CCN. Unless your wife has to live in NY, I would ED there.

If your wife is dead-set on attending a NY school, I would apply to CLS and NYU of course, I would also consider Penn. A friend of mine works in NY but has a wife working in Philly - it's not convenient, but it's very doable. Penn takes your highest score.

mueh wrote:for the note, i applied to columbia last yr with 168/168 with the same gpa, and was waitlisted / reserved until end of June when I was taken off the waitlisted and rejected. since i was well below the median for both gpa and lsat back then, but still waitlisted until well into the cycle, i am maybe hopeful with a higher lsat score + another yr of work experience in finance...? (albeit multiple lsat & reapplication)

I'm very sorry to say this, but Columbia waitlists everyone. To illustrate: http://columbia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/. Last year they WLed quite a substantial chunk of the pool that was below both medians - in fact, that's the largest portion of the graph - but none of the non-URMs on LSN got in. Your new score puts you on par with their students - but CLS has a courtesy waitlist, and I wouldn't take a WL decision there to mean that you were on the fence.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: 173 (multiple lsat)/3.6; chances at CCN?

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:40 pm

OP should ED NYU.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: latif and 2 guests