3.40/170 - Here we go

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sluguy14

3.40/170 - Here we go

Postby sluguy14 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 pm

I finally get to make one of these rockin "Chance me" threads. I've already used the predictors, but I'm curious as to what you all think of my situation...

3.40 GPA (w/ strong upward trend)
170 LSAT (June '10)
Average softs/LORs
non-URM

I'll be entering my senior year of college (Econ major), and a ~4.0 semester GPA will bring my cumulative up to about a 3.48-3.49. (Will this alter my chances anywhere? Please take this into consideration.)

Anyway, what are my chances (including scholarships, if you can/if applicable) at:

Michigan
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Texas
Vandy
USC
WUSTL
Illinois
Emory
Notre Dame

Are there any schools I'm missing in this range that would be worth an app?

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Tanicius

Re: 3.40/170 - Here we go

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:57 pm

sluguy14 wrote:I finally get to make one of these rockin "Chance me" threads. I've already used the predictors, but I'm curious as to what you all think of my situation...

170 LSAT (June '10)
Average softs/LORs
non-URM

I'll be entering my senior year of college (Econ major), and a ~4.0 semester GPA will bring my cumulative up to about a 3.48-3.49. (Will this alter my chances anywhere? Please take this into consideration.)

Anyway, what are my chances (including scholarships, if you can/if applicable) at:

Michigan
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Texas
Vandy
USC
WUSTL
Illinois
Emory
Notre Dame

If another year of college really will raise your GPA to a 3.49, I believe you should wait. You're not getting the T-10 without an ED at UVA or Michigan for sure, and even then your chances are low. You could always try, of course. You'll get into WUSTL, and you'll get some decent from them, you could be looking at several T-14's next year if you wait. As it stands there is a legitimate danger you'll get shut out of the T-14 entirely. If that's okay with you, (and I'm not saying it shouldn't be) then apply.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Tanicius wrote:
sluguy14 wrote:I finally get to make one of these rockin "Chance me" threads. I've already used the predictors, but I'm curious as to what you all think of my situation...

170 LSAT (June '10)
Average softs/LORs
non-URM

Michigan
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Texas
Vandy
USC
WUSTL
Illinois
Emory
Notre Dame

If another year of college really will raise your GPA to a 3.49, I believe you should wait. You're not getting the T-10 without an ED at UVA or Michigan for sure, and even then your chances are low. You could always try, of course. You'll get into WUSTL, and you'll get some decent from them, you could be looking at several T-14's next year if you wait. As it stands there is a legitimate danger you'll get shut out of the T-14 entirely. If that's okay with you, (and I'm not saying it shouldn't be) then apply.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My GPA at the end of next semester (mid-December) should be around 3.48-3.49. My GPA at the end of the year (assuming stellar grades) would be 3.53ish.

But I'm not T14-or-bust. How do you think I would fare at UCLA through Notre Dame?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:18 pm

sluguy14 wrote:Sorry, I should have been more specific. My GPA at the end of next semester (mid-December) should be around 3.48-3.49. My GPA at the end of the year (assuming stellar grades) would be 3.53ish.

But I'm not T14-or-bust. How do you think I would fare at UCLA through Notre Dame?

You will probably get into most of those schools. That 170 will carry you a very long way outside of the T-14. Still, dude... I mean, damn. Going from 3.4 to 3.53 is huge. As you can see on this graph for UCLA, your 170 is pretty much a necessary condition to get admitted with a sub 3.6 GPA; every tenth of a point you manage to increase your GPA goes a very long way. This is important for scholarships as well.

When it's all said and done, I guess there's really no reason not to apply this year. Just be cautious about accepting full sticker price at a school outside of the T-14, especially if it's not the king of its own region like Minnesota or Texas, because a 170/3.5 should get you much better than that.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:
sluguy14 wrote:Sorry, I should have been more specific. My GPA at the end of next semester (mid-December) should be around 3.48-3.49. My GPA at the end of the year (assuming stellar grades) would be 3.53ish.

You will probably get into most of those schools. That 170 will carry you a very long way outside of the T-14. Still, dude... I mean, damn. Going from 3.4 to 3.53 is huge. As you can see on this graph for UCLA, your 170 is pretty much a necessary condition to get admitted with a sub 3.6 GPA; every tenth of a point you manage to increase your GPA goes a very long way. This is important for scholarships as well.

When it's all said and done, I guess there's really no reason not to apply this year. Just be cautious about accepting full sticker price at a school outside of the T-14, especially if it's not the king of its own region like Minnesota or Texas, because a 170/3.5 should get you much better than that.

Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinking: apply this year, see what comes back, and sit out a year if I don't find anything worthwhile. I would be happy to attend any school on my list, so scholarship money is gonna play a large role as well.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/advice? The more the merrier.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 pm

bump

Return to “What are my chances?”