169/3.44/Whiteboy w/ long list of schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Spackledgoat

New

169/3.44/Whiteboy w/ long list of schools

Post by Spackledgoat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 am

Now that I've gotten my LSAT score, I feel its time to make one of these threads. So here's the info:

GPA: 3.44

LSAT: 169

Non-URM

Softs: Spent the last 3 years in Romania, first year on a NSEP scholarship. Took a year long course to become Romanian government certified in Romanian, now I'm in the middle of a MA in American cultural studies at the University of Bucharest. I'm currently working as a professor of English at the same university.

Here is the current list of schools I'm interested in:

Cornell
Georgetown
Duke
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Florida
UT-Austin
University of Washington
Vanderbilt

What are my chances at each school? Are there other schools you feel that my numbers would give me enough of a shot to make applying worthwhile?

I was practice testing at a 172 for my LSAT, would it be worthwhile to retake? If I was to do so, would it make sense to apply to all the schools and then retake, retake then start applying, or apply to the "safe" schools with the 169 and then apply to the higher schools with a (hopefully) better score?

Thanks

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Re: 169/3.44/Whiteboy w/ long list of schools

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:06 pm

If you plan to retake, you should study again. A three point drop from your PT average to the actual exam is not anomalous. So, to raise your LSAT score, you probably need to raise your PT average as well.

I would wait to apply until you have your new score. You won't lose anything by applying at the beginning of November.

Spackledgoat

New

Post by Spackledgoat » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:27 pm

But the question is, should I retake?

Other than duke, are the other unrealistic. My number 1 school is cornell. If I can get in there, I really don't care about the rest, money or not. Thoughts on that?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm a 3.54 and 168 white chick who still hasn't gotten an answer from Cornell after applying EA, which was my #1.

However, I got a really decent scholarship at UT (where I'm going)...better than my others from lower-ranked. Go figure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:25 pm

3.45/168 white girl here. Of the schools I applied to this year:

Cornell: EA Deferred->Reserve->Accepted->Attending
Georgetown: PT Waitlist
Duke: Rejected
Vanderbilt: Waitlist

Retake only if you're sure you can improve. Whatever you do, don't do what I did. Before my retake I was PTing in the mid-high 170s (and once even a 180!). My retake was a 167. Good times.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:33 pm

danidancer wrote:3.45/168 white girl here. Of the schools I applied to this year:

*shakes fist*

I...just...wanted...a...real...answer.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
danidancer wrote:3.45/168 white girl here. Of the schools I applied to this year:

*shakes fist*

Awe Pear! :( I want you to have a real answer too! I know, I was one of the very lucky few plucked from the EA massacre this year, and I'm very grateful for the opportunity... but that admissions office. Wow. Are you riding out the reserve or did you withdraw? 'grats on UT, btw. That's seriously awesome.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:41 pm

danidancer wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

*shakes fist*

Awe Pear! :( I want you to have a real answer too! I know, I was one of the very lucky few plucked from the EA massacre this year, and I'm very grateful for the opportunity... but that admissions office. Wow. Are you riding out the reserve or did you withdraw? 'grats on UT, btw. That's seriously awesome.
Thanks! And congrats to you too, thrilled that you were one of the "saved" ones! I'm still on the reserve list, but not expecting to ever hear back ever. I keep forgetting I'm still waiting actually :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:50 pm

169/~3.5 here.

Here's how my cycle went at the schools on your list I applied to:

Cornell: Early Action Deferred --> Reserve --> Accepted
Georgetown: Waitlisted
Duke: Waitlisted
Minnesota: In with money
Vanderbilt: Waitlisted

Of the schools I didn't apply that are on your list, I'd say you're in (possibly with $$$) at Washington and Wisconsin. UT is possible, I think, especially if you're in-state.

Your list is fairly spread out geographically. Is there anywhere in particular you want to practice? Because Florida would work in...Florida, but probably won't help you if you want to work in the Pacific Northwest (and vice versa for UW).

As to a retake, I think Dani gave you solid advice -- if you have the time and money to burn, and you're sure you can score higher, go for it. But for the schools on your list there's not necessarily a need to do it. However, a 170+ would likely help you in getting an outright acceptance to Cornell that eluded Dani and I.

Pearalegal: I withdrew from Cornell. Here's hoping the spot goes to you!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:54 pm

mi-chan17 wrote: Of the schools I didn't apply that are on your list, I'd say you're in (possibly with $$$) at Washington and Wisconsin. UT is possible, I think, especially if you're in-state.

As to a retake, I think Dani gave you solid advice -- if you have the time and money to burn, and you're sure you can score higher, go for it. But for the schools on your list there's not necessarily a need to do it. However, a 170+ would likely help you in getting an outright acceptance to Cornell that eluded Dani and I.

Pearalegal: I withdrew from Cornell. Here's hoping the spot goes to you!
Aw, thanks! I'm very, very excited about Austin though. And on that subject, just wanted to say that Texas is very much a possibility--I'm OOS and like I said, got in with a very lovely scholarship package. I should mention that the scholarship came through after negotiations. I leveraged my ND money and somehow got more from Texas. How do you like dem apples?

Spackledgoat

New

Post by Spackledgoat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 am

The reason for the geographically spread out schools is that I'm from Minnesota, and I would have no issue living/working there. The rest are schools located in areas where I would have no issues living for the long term. I know that most of the schools will work only for their region, so I thought to apply around and see where will give money/where feels best at that point.

I have another question. About 4-5 years ago I got in a scuffle with a roommate and spent a night in the slammer for domestic assault. I was charged, but the charges were dropped shortly after. How much will this affect me for schools? (Obviously I'll do an addendum explaining what happened, how it was a VERY singular incident and how that would never be an issue again)

Spackledgoat

New

Post by Spackledgoat » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:44 am

The reason for the geographically spread out schools is that I'm from Minnesota, and I would have no issue living/working there. The rest are schools located in areas where I would have no issues living for the long term. I know that most of the schools will work only for their region, so I thought to apply around and see where will give money/where feels best at that point.

I have another question. About 4-5 years ago I got in a scuffle with a roommate and spent a night in the slammer for domestic assault. I was charged, but the charges were dropped shortly after. How much will this affect me for schools? (Obviously I'll do an addendum explaining what happened, how it was a VERY singular incident and how that would never be an issue again)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:58 am

No shot at GULC or Duke IMO, but you have a shot at Cornell.

Spackledgoat

New

Post by Spackledgoat » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:23 am

How much would I have to raise that LSAT to have a realistic shot at Duke (ED perhaps), or are they just too GPA focused?

Big Tuna

Bronze

Post by Big Tuna » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 am

Last edited by Big Tuna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 am

Craft your PS around Foreigner's "Dirty White Boy." I think it could be a real winner.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 am

romothesavior wrote:Craft your PS around Foreigner's "Dirty White Boy." I think it could be a real winner.
With that 80s classic, you can't lose!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:04 am

Spackledgoat wrote:Now that I've gotten my LSAT score, I feel its time to make one of these threads. So here's the info:

GPA: 3.44

LSAT: 169

Non-URM

Softs: Spent the last 3 years in Romania, first year on a NSEP scholarship. Took a year long course to become Romanian government certified in Romanian, now I'm in the middle of a MA in American cultural studies at the University of Bucharest. I'm currently working as a professor of English at the same university.

Here is the current list of schools I'm interested in:

Cornell
Georgetown
Duke
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Florida
UT-Austin
University of Washington
Vanderbilt

What are my chances at each school? Are there other schools you feel that my numbers would give me enough of a shot to make applying worthwhile?

I was practice testing at a 172 for my LSAT, would it be worthwhile to retake? If I was to do so, would it make sense to apply to all the schools and then retake, retake then start applying, or apply to the "safe" schools with the 169 and then apply to the higher schools with a (hopefully) better score?

Thanks
Unrealistic reach:
duke
georgetown

target:
cornell
texas
wisconsin

strong target:
vanderbilt
washington

safety:
florida
minnesota

it would be worth it for you to retake. as it stands you just have a 50/50 shot at getting into a t14. a 170 would make duke a target and georgetown a realistic reach. a 171 would make georgetown a strong target. getting higher than a 171 doesn't seem to improve your chances so just aim for that.

Spackledgoat

New

Post by Spackledgoat » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:51 am

Its interesting you put Wisconsin as a target and Minnesota as a safety. All the calculators show Wisconsin as easier to get into than Minnesota.

I've been searching all over for information about what softs are most important for admission at Cornell, but have thus far been unable to find that info. It's by far my first choice, and the last thing I want is to have an application that doesn't emphasize proper softs. Will the international experience help much?

One more question involving a potential negative. At the start of my UG I was unsure what I wanted to do in life, so I tried out a lot of different classes. For the most part, I finished them but I also gathered up 3-4 W's. These were not W/fails, so they won't affect my GPA. This, of course, stopped once I decided upon a major, but I'm afraid that it will negatively impact my applications. I intend to explain in an addendum, but nevertheless it looks bad. Will this affect in a major way my chance at these schools?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:55 am

Spackledgoat wrote:Its interesting you put Wisconsin as a target and Minnesota as a safety. All the calculators show Wisconsin as easier to get into than Minnesota.
I don't know a ton about admissions at either school since I didn't apply to them, but Minnesota is known as being splitter-friendly. That could be why.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:59 am

Spackledgoat wrote:Its interesting you put Wisconsin as a target and Minnesota as a safety. All the calculators show Wisconsin as easier to get into than Minnesota.

I've been searching all over for information about what softs are most important for admission at Cornell, but have thus far been unable to find that info. It's by far my first choice, and the last thing I want is to have an application that doesn't emphasize proper softs. Will the international experience help much?

One more question involving a potential negative. At the start of my UG I was unsure what I wanted to do in life, so I tried out a lot of different classes. For the most part, I finished them but I also gathered up 3-4 W's. These were not W/fails, so they won't affect my GPA. This, of course, stopped once I decided upon a major, but I'm afraid that it will negatively impact my applications. I intend to explain in an addendum, but nevertheless it looks bad. Will this affect in a major way my chance at these schools?

i don't use calculators i just go off of the reported outcomes from LSN profiles.
the early Ws won't really affect your cycle. and it would take an incredible soft for it to matter much. law school admissions is for the most part numbers based.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”