3.94, 162 help a reverse splitter out

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pjo

3.94, 162 help a reverse splitter out

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:40 am

Hi guys, I just got my score back so my stats are 162, 3.94. I've already spent the night trying to figure out my odds on LSP and LSN, I'm just looking to know what you guys think. Heres where I'll be applying: (btw I'm a non-VA resident)

UVA ED
GW
W&M
Wake Forest
BC
BU
UNC
ND
and maybe WUSTL and Emory

also anywhere else I should look into? I have a preference for VA, DC, NC

yeahyeah2121

Re: 3.94, 162 help a reverse splitter out

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 am

Throw in some more sure bets. If you like the Philly area Villanova and Temple are both great and well within your reach. We have very similar numbers, and the whole state of Pennsylvania worked out for me this cycle. APPLY EARLY. I applied after Christmas and I think it hurt me with some of my reaches. Good luck!

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks, yeah I'm going to send an app to Pitt but honestly I'm coming right out of undergrad. The schools I listed are the schools I REALLY want to go to. If I can't get into any of them this cycle I think I'm just going to wait a year and retake next June, and apply in that cycle.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:54 am

I think with those numbers, you'll be getting a lot of WL's. But, if I were you, I'd throw a safety in there, since I don't know that you are a sure thing at any of those schools. Perhaps American or George Mason. I'm pretty sure it's better to be a splitter than a reverse splitter. But, I do have a friend that was a reverse splitter (163, 3.99 or something absurdly high like that) and got into GW.

Ohh, as for some rec's: You would likely get a lot of money at Case, Seton Hall, Miami. I know Ohio State favors reverse splitters. Another friend with a 3.85 and a 157 got in. And yes, you should be good for all the Pennsylvania schools as well.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am

snowpeach06 wrote:I think with those numbers, you'll be getting a lot of WL's. But, if I were you, I'd throw a safety in there, since I don't know that you are a sure thing at any of those schools. Perhaps American or George Mason. I'm pretty sure it's better to be a splitter than a reverse splitter. But, I do have a friend that was a reverse splitter (163, 3.99 or something absurdly high like that) and got into GW.

Ohh, as for some rec's: You would likely get a lot of money at Case, Seton Hall, Miami. I know Ohio State favors reverse splitters. Another friend with a 3.85 and a 157 got in. And yes, you should be good for all the Pennsylvania schools as well.

I've actually visited both American and GMU. I liked both schools (probably American a little bit more). But I've noticed both those schools don't give out any money and I really don't think I want to take out a lot to go to them. Yea I was thinking of sending an app to OSU and Case although they're kind of outside of where I want to be geographically. I'm really hoping that if the UVA ED doesn't pull through, I'll be able to pull and admit to either GWU (I saw some ppl with my numbers on LSN get admitted) or W&M (I'm above 75% for GPA and above their 25% LSAT).

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:06 am

pjo wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I think with those numbers, you'll be getting a lot of WL's. But, if I were you, I'd throw a safety in there, since I don't know that you are a sure thing at any of those schools. Perhaps American or George Mason. I'm pretty sure it's better to be a splitter than a reverse splitter. But, I do have a friend that was a reverse splitter (163, 3.99 or something absurdly high like that) and got into GW.

I've actually visited both American and GMU. I liked both schools (probably American a little bit more). But I've noticed both those schools don't give out any money and I really don't think I want to take out a lot to go to them. Yea I was thinking of sending an app to OSU and Case although they're kind of outside of where I want to be geographically. I'm really hoping that if the UVA ED doesn't pull through, I'll be able to pull and admit to either GWU (I saw some ppl with my numbers on LSN get admitted) or W&M (I'm above 75% for GPA and above their 25% LSAT).

As someone who wanted to be in DC and wound up in Ohio; Case will likely give you like 2/3 tuition, and you can ask for more. And OSU is one of the highest ranked schools you would be a definite at. Ohio isn't that bad, as long as you can leave. Case is a little bit better for leaving, though.

And I also agree that it sucks about American not offering money. Even more sad is they don't have to. Apparently there are enough people out there who want to live in DC that they will pay sticker for it, even if that means 200k of debt. Good luck with UVA and W&M though!

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:09 am

snowpeach, I see you go to case. I have a few friends in undergrad there. What do you think of the schools and job prospects?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:14 am

You've been on TLS since 2008 and you don't know TCR?

Retake.

(I say that somewhat jokingly, since that is always the TLS response. But if there is any possibility in your mind that you can do better, then retake. Even if you get into some of those T20s, you'll be paying sticker or close to it. And a few more points would give you a shot at B.)

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:20 am

pjo wrote:snowpeach, I see you go to case. I have a few friends in undergrad there. What do you think of the schools and job prospects?

For undergrad, especially for engineering or pre-med, you won't get a better education at a better price. I even found that I got a great (although slightly less valuable education) in the liberal arts, since we focus on the sciences. We work really hard here though. Just as hard, if not harder than those at the Ivy's, but without the grade inflation. On the other side of that though, Case gives away money like candy - and also gives away a lot of candy. It's why we have so many brilliant people. If you want to stay in Ohio, for anything, Case undergrad is the choice. It's very well respected here. Outside Ohio, I find that only some people have heard of it. Luckily, it is the educated people likely to be doing hiring. If you don't care about having fun and just want a good education, Case is great. The rumors about us being very nerdy are true. And Cleveland isn't the most hoppin' place, but, it is actually a lot better than I thought. It kind of grows on you, and I went from HATING it, to kind of liking it.

As for law school - it's your typical T2. Of course we don't have the same opportunities of those at better ranked schools. But, they do have pretty impressive rates of getting people jobs in NY, DC and LA. Less than half the class stays in Ohio. And I know that the Cleveland office of Jones Day hires a ton of Case grads. Just not the better offices. My main reason for staying was the money. We are odd in that we still have a decent rank, although we are a bit easier to get into than even lower ranked schools. Still, I think the school will be steadily improving in the years to come.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:33 am

romothesavior wrote:You've been on TLS since 2008 and you don't know TCR?

Retake.

(I say that somewhat jokingly, since that is always the TLS response. But if there is any possibility in your mind that you can do better, then retake. Even if you get into some of those T20s, you'll be paying sticker or close to it. And a few more points would give you a shot at B.)

haha I was waiting for this response. Believe it or not, I'm really happy with my score. My diagnostic was 148 and my PT avg was 161 after going through the LGB and LRB. SO I actually scored one point above my avg. Going over this test, if I would have scored my usual on LG I would have gotten a 165, but at the same time, I did better on RC than I usually do. The highest I ever scored on a PT was 167 btw. Really I think I'm just going to ride this cycle out and see how it goes. If I have to, I'll retake next June and reapply. Also, I'm ok with paying sticker at UVA, GW, W&M etc.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:51 am

check my profile.....similar stats and schools

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:56 am

caneman13 wrote:check my profile.....similar stats and schools

Caneman, what school did you decide to attend? Also, what do you think helped push you in off the waitilist at GW? I'd really love to go there.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:39 pm

pjo wrote:
caneman13 wrote:check my profile.....similar stats and schools

Caneman, what school did you decide to attend? Also, what do you think helped push you in off the waitilist at GW? I'd really love to go there.

I'm riding out my Penn wait list, but i'll most likely end up at GW (deposited there, and have already set up housing). I sent in a LOCI and an additional LOR to every school i was on the wait list. But for both Fordham and GW, I stayed in contact frequently with them, and responded to any general wait list emails with excitement and reassurance that I want to attend. I do believe that helped a lot. I wouldn't be surprised with your stats, if you end up getting wait listed at some top schools like I did. If you have strong softs and a high GPA, I feel like schools just don't want to reject that, but they don't want to immediately take on the lower LSAT. Once they see how the class shapes up, they are more willing to trade LSAT for GPA. At least that's been my experience so far. It seems that everyone released from the Penn wait list thus far are traditional splitters.

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:52 pm

thanks caneman, whether you meant it or not, I feel reassured from your post and cycle. Like I said aleady. I would be incredibly happy with ANY one of those schools I named (but GW def in my top 5). I just keep thinking to myself, I know I don't have a great shot at all of them, but I only need one to take a chance on me. Hopefully applying in September will help me out a bit too.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:02 pm

pjo wrote:thanks caneman, whether you meant it or not, I feel reassured from your post and cycle. Like I said aleady. I would be incredibly happy with ANY one of those schools I named (but GW def in my top 5). I just keep thinking to myself, I know I don't have a great shot at all of them, but I only need one to take a chance on me. Hopefully applying in September will help me out a bit too.

no problem...another word of advice, apply early to all your schools. I applied ED to penn, and decided to wait when it came to applying to the other schools (unless they gave me a fee waiver). I was held by penn in december and got my other apps out in mid January. I can't help from thinking that one of Fordham, BC, BU, or GW would have accepted me right off the bat had i applied to them in september/october.

pjo

Postby pjo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:16 pm

shamelessly bumping my own post for the monday lunch crowd, then I'll let this thread die

Return to “What are my chances?”