What's the best course of action to maximize T14 chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
asoularisen

What's the best course of action to maximize T14 chances?

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Alright, well I'm going to be a sophomore at my undergrad. university this fall, I took the June LSAT and got a 173.

However, my current GPA for 30 hours of credit is a 3.145; I had a pretty bad first year and ended up making a lot of stupid decisions, and I'm hoping this LSAT is a good turning point and I can bring that up a good amount over the next 3 years (along with some community college courses in the summer).

Now obviously I should study my ass off and up my GPA so that I can have really good chances, but should I also on the side do some studying for the LSAT, in case my GPA isn't as high as I'd like when applications are looming, so I could retake for a 175+. And also, when would be a good time to retake in the next 3 years?

Cleareyes

Re: What's the best course of action to maximize T14 chances?

Postby Cleareyes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Just focus on your grades. If you need to worry about LSAT you can do so Junior year aiming to take in June between Junior and senior. If you can bring that GPA up (which you have time to do) you can recover nicely. Consider taking some super easy summer classes to pad the GPA if you can.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah, the local community college has it's Summer II classes application deadline at July 10th, so I'm throwing my application their way to get 6-9 hours to begin padding the GPA.

And that seems like a reasonable idea, I'll just put the LSAT aside from now and try and focus all my energy on my classes.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:47 pm

asoularisen wrote:Yeah, the local community college has it's Summer II classes application deadline at July 10th, so I'm throwing my application their way to get 6-9 hours to begin padding the GPA.

And that seems like a reasonable idea, I'll just put the LSAT aside from now and try and focus all my energy on my classes.

Obligatory "Don't forget to save SOME energy for the

Or dudes. If dudes are your thing.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
asoularisen wrote:Yeah, the local community college has it's Summer II classes application deadline at July 10th, so I'm throwing my application their way to get 6-9 hours to begin padding the GPA.

Obligatory "Don't forget to save SOME energy for the

Or dudes. If dudes are your thing.

LOL. The way I see it is I get to choose 2 of the following:

>Ladies
>Drugs
>Grades

Probably want shift all of number 2 to number 3 next semester onwards...

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:53 pm

Sound like a plan. You know what won't maximize T14 chances? Writing an addendum to explain a drug-based arrest/school discipline report.

"See what had happened was my friend asked me to hold this bag of what I thought was oregano. I mean it seems naive in retrospect, but he's really into seasonings. And what had happened regarding the incident was..."

I don't really care about people's drug use and most college users never get caught by anyone. But make sure you're in that portion, because it doesn't really matter HOW good your addendum about being caught tweaked out of your mind in the girls changing room of the local middle school is...

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Cleareyes wrote:Sound like a plan. You know what won't maximize T14 chances? Writing an addendum to explain a drug-based arrest/school discipline report.

"See what had happened was my friend asked me to hold this bag of what I thought was oregano. I mean it seems naive in retrospect, but he's really into seasonings. And what had happened regarding the incident was..."

I don't really care about people's drug use and most college users never get caught by anyone. But make sure you're in that portion, because it doesn't really matter HOW good your addendum about being caught tweaked out of your mind in the girls changing room of the local middle school is...

Haha, don't worry, like I said, first year had a lot of bad decisions and I really don't plan to make them in the future...

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Well you probably fucked your shot at HYS. Get your GPA as close to 3.8 as you can.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Well you probably fucked your shot at HYS. Get your GPA as close to 3.8 as you can.

Yeah, I figured HYS is out. Apparently with a 3.6 and ED I could get a Strong Consider at NYU, so while HYS being out isn't the best feeling, I have a good shot at cracking CCN without having to retake the LSAT, so I feel alright about that. All that's left is to actually put in the effort these next 3 years...

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:48 pm

asoularisen wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Well you probably fucked your shot at HYS. Get your GPA as close to 3.8 as you can.

Yeah, I figured HYS is out. Apparently with a 3.6 and ED I could get a Strong Consider at NYU, so while HYS being out isn't the best feeling, I have a good shot at cracking CCN without having to retake the LSAT, so I feel alright about that. All that's left is to actually put in the effort these next 3 years...

If you can bust out a 176+ HLS might bite on a 3.7+.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
asoularisen wrote:

If you can bust out a 176+ HLS might bite on a 3.7+.

True, but I'm afraid to retake, because if I do significantly worse, I have a feeling law schools will see a 173 before my sophomore year and a significantly lower score 2 years later and think maybe I developed some affinity for losing brain cells (drug addiction or whatever) and take the lower score more seriously, as it's more recent.

Maybe that's just paranoia though.

Return to “What are my chances?”