Should I go for my dream? Really!?!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hey-O

Should I go for my dream? Really!?!

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 pm

My dream is to go to Stanford Law. And by dream I mean, Rudy going to Notre Dame dream Stanford when I was sixteen for a summer school and I fell in love.

I went to This cycle I got on the Stanford WL. Applied to Stanford on January 15th, but I applied and I had a 169. I just re-took for a higher score.

Three LSATs
1.) Cancel
2.) 169
3.) 172

GPA: 3.86

This is my program is my dream/goal:

http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/degrees/joint/ips/

It is perfectly suited for my end goal: helping people. I want to help create policies that foster good governance and economic development in the poorest places in the world.

This year I got a full tuition scholarship at Fordham, but I'm so close to my dream. I visited the campus, and I just felt MEH. And I don't really want to work in New York. I'm so close to going to Stanford and I'm willing to apply next year but I don't want to give up a full scholarship and get nothing.

What should I do? Is trying again next cycle a terrible idea? Is re-applying just a laughably bad idea?

Please read and comment. This is a huge decision for me. All the arrangements are made for me to move to New York in a few months, and I just don't know what to do.

Edit: No one replied the first time I posted this so I re-wrote it. Hopefully, it is a more compelling question now.
Last edited by Hey-O on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey-O

Re: Should I go for my dream?

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Bump

Postby 12262010 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:34 pm

don't go to fordham with those numbers

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 pm

It's not exactly hard to find people in need. If your end goal is helping people, you should be more than able to do that from any school you attend.

dispatch

Postby dispatch » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:37 pm

You clearly have already made up your mind. Re-apply. That 172 certainly won't hurt your chances, and you'll probably even have better back-up options next year if you don't get Stanford.

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:38 pm

If Stanford is your dream, go for it! With your numbers, your acceptable floor should be CCN and/or MVPB on some $$.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:39 pm

You can settle on Fordham now and always wonder "What if...?" or you can work on your softs and apply to Stanford (your dream school) with your higher LSAT next cycle. The choice seems clear.

chris888777

Postby chris888777 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:45 pm

With those numbers Stanford is not out of the realm of possibility. I would definitely forget Fordham and work this summer on crafting your personal statement to incorporate why you want to go to Stanford and how their programs fit your career goals etc.... Schools love it when you take the time to demonstrate why its a great fit and how you can contribute to their school/student body. If you write a compelling personal statement and apply very early (the first day possible) with your numbers i think you have a good chance. Stanford is tough because they can be so picky but i think you stand as good of a chance as anyone.

If Stanford does not work out apply to Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Cornell/GT. With your numbers there is no reason why you should be going to Fordham.

Good Luck.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm sorry but LULZ here, seriously. You should 0% go to Fordham w/ those #'s. Re-apply and absolutely do everything you can to convince Stanford to take you. If that fails, you get to go to Mich or Penn with $. :)

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. I want to re-apply to Stanford, but I don't want to make a huge financial mistake while going for something unrealistic. Also, I'll have to explain this to my family. They think that a full scholarship is too good to pass up.

I would love to hear from some people critical of this decision. What are some reasons not to do it? (I lose the deposits for one).

agentdedalus

Postby agentdedalus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:47 pm

while those numbers give you an outside shot at Stanford it would seem, they certainly make you competitive at most of the T-14. a full scholarship is tempting, but the field you're looking to get into is even more competitive than Biglaw, and perhaps where you go/how you do will matter even more.

if i were you, i'd apply next cycle, as it seems you're already questioning your school choice (i also imagine that in the back of your mind you're already plotting a transfer? if so, best of luck, though heed the advice throughout this thread that warns of banking on top grades.) if you're good with Fordham and think you'll succeed there, go for it. but don't let complacency/plans you've "already made" push you into a decision that you'll regret.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm so happy right now. I really wanted to re-apply but I thought it was a stupid decision. I have all my plans made. I have paid all the deposits. Stanford (if I get in) would land me in six digit debt. Plus, it just doesn't seem really possible that I could finally go after all these years.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm

apply for your dream, and re apply to all of the schools that you got in ( especially those with money). Work hard on your PS for stanford, and take some time to edit your ps for other schools as well ( maybe even make a ranking of schools 2-4 and tailor a ps for those schools- not your dream, but if you make the schools think it is, youll be allright). Losing some deposit money this year for your dream is just a little bit extra of a cost. If you are that worried about debt, your score increase will help alieviate that ( hence why you should apply to other schools adn tailor your ps to make the schools think they were your dream school).
Congrats on the test and Good luck

agentdedalus

Postby agentdedalus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey-O wrote:I'm so happy right now. I really wanted to re-apply but I thought it was a stupid decision... it just doesn't seem really possible that I could finally go after all these years.

--ImageRemoved--

ok, ok a little harsh i realize Hey-O, but i'm kidding and have been wanting to break out The Wolf :) in fact, i wish you the best, but if you do decide to re-apply, also be wary of being complacent with your numbers. that is, follow A'nold's advice and truly

A'nold wrote:do absolutely everything you can to convince Stanford to take you.

without short-changing apps to CCN, or the possibility of $ at others in the T-14. good luck!

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Do it.

That's all.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Do schools hold it against you if you re-apply after you were already accepted? Also, could there be something in my file or application that would disqualify me that I don't know about. What if my last LOC had something in it they hated?

chris888777

Postby chris888777 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:49 pm

No.. people accept a schools offer, pay the deposit, etc.... all the time and withdraw later. Thats all part of the process of choosing a law school and thats why people get off the waitlists in July and August. Don't feel bad about withdrawing from Fordham now-i'm sure someone would love your spot :D

As for your last part how would any of us know the answer to that question. If you are worried why don't you call the admissions office and speak to someone. I have never had a bad experience asking about my application and at one school the dean of admission herself spoke to me at length about why i was waitlisted (at this school i was extremely to even be waitlisted) and gave me some very positive feedback on my application.

Stop worrying and go for your dream----you are close enough to it that you have to give yourself the chance.

Hey-O

Re: Should I go for my dream? Really!?!

Postby Hey-O » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38 am

So I was really happy yesterday, but now I think you guys are just all sunshine and roses. I'm not getting into Stanford! I got only three points higher than my first score. My new score is within my original score band. I don't have anything new to add as far as WE or LORs this year.

I don't really want to go somewhere else if I don't have a good chance at Stanford. I'd be out all my deposits and all money I've spent on travel plans. Plus a full tuition scholarship. That's more than $100,000!!!!!!!

Is it just because Fordham is not a T14?

Why does everyone agree that I should re-apply? I would love the opinion of mean people and old TLS hands.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:52 am

Jesus, you asshole, ok, maybe you're not getting into Stanford because the difference between a below-median LSAT and a 75th-percentile LSAT is negligible.

That was sarcasm, if you didn't catch it. The difference is *huge*.

Also, I'd call flame if you didn't have nearly 500 posts. You want to work in international law, helping people? Go to Boalt or NYU and hang out with the hippies. Alternately, research the public interest prospects at Fordham, Stanford, and other schools that are now within your reach with your new LSAT, and get over the fact that Stanford takes 7% of applicants and the odds are stacked against you regardless. Then decide whether it's best to take a full ride at Fordham or to wait and then (almost assuredly) attend a higher-ranked school that probably isn't Stanford and may or may not fit your desires.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:55 am

chris888777 wrote:No.. people accept a schools offer, pay the deposit, etc.... all the time and withdraw later. Thats all part of the process of choosing a law school and thats why people get off the waitlists in July and August. Don't feel bad about withdrawing from Fordham now-i'm sure someone would love your spot :D

As for your last part how would any of us know the answer to that question. If you are worried why don't you call the admissions office and speak to someone. I have never had a bad experience asking about my application and at one school the dean of admission herself spoke to me at length about why i was waitlisted (at this school i was extremely to even be waitlisted) and gave me some very positive feedback on my application.

Stop worrying and go for your dream----you are close enough to it that you have to give yourself the chance.

How did you contact admission? Did you call? Write an email?

theadw

Postby theadw » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:Do it.

+1

w/r/t debt, Stanford both gives an eye-popping amount of need-based aid in addition to operating one of the finest LRAPs in the country.

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Hey-O wrote:I went to This cycle I got on the Stanford WL. Applied to Stanford on January 15th, but I applied and I had a 169. I just re-took for a higher score.

Three LSATs
1.) Cancel
2.) 169
3.) 172

GPA: 3.86

Stanford is unpredicable.... however, you were waitlisted this cycle, which indicates that you were considered - and that was with your 169 LSAT score - this is all favorable....

I would suggest starting another thread specifically asking TLS members admitted to Stanford with multiple scores to share their numbers.... because you need to do some research on the hard facts of what Stanford does with multiple scores...

chris888777

Postby chris888777 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:53 am

Hey-o-

I emailed them in July to withdraw from their waitlist and and dean of admissions actually offered to talk about my application. In my experience with law school admissions, most deans of admissions were willing to answer any question i had. I would give them a call.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies (even the person who called me an asshole for no reason).

I'm not being obtuse and I've done my research both on my career and law schools, but I'm still on the fence. I guess I'm really questioning the forum consensus higher ranked is always better, especially if your goal is not biglaw.

I applied to T14 and Fordham, because I wanted to got to Fordham, not because it was a safety. It has some great public interest law programs, especially in my field of international development. They offer excellent placement services with public interest/government internships. Add that to little debt on graduation (which allows me to take a lower paying job doing what I want.) Plus I got a neat scholarship that comes with all kinds of opportunities.

That being said I feel like if I go to Fordham then I have to be top 10% to get where I want, but at T6 I would have more leeway. Everyone says don't go to a school planning on Top 20%. My big fear at Fordham is that I'll end up working mid-law in NY (which is what most Fordham graduates do). NOT WHAT I WANT AT ALL.

My reasoning is T6 > Fordham
Fordham > everywhere else

But realistically what are my chances at a T6? I think (using LSP) 50/50.

My big fear with re-applying is I miss HYSCCN and end up where I already was accepted this year without my big scholarship, plus a year older, and way more in debt.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:14 pm

It depends which scenario you prefer: graduating from Fordham without debt but also without the job you want, or taking another year off for a chance at a T14 with massive debt but better chances at your desired job?

Return to “What are my chances?”