Upward trend in grades really taken into consideration?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Edmonds4

New

Upward trend in grades really taken into consideration??

Post by Edmonds4 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Heres the scoop.. I have my heart set on UCLA, with USC and Colorado as my distant second and third choices. I used the GPA predictor last night and was dissapointed with what I found. As it stands, I have a 3.78. I would have had a 3.90 if it weren't for one F in a course I repeated my freshman year. I wasn't aware that BOTH grades count toward our LSDAS GPA.

There's a MAJOR upward trend in my grades, as I have well above a 4.1 over the past two years. My question is whether the three schools mentioned (UCLA in particular) will honestly take that into consideration, or if they simply care about the overall numbers (which is what I suspect)..???

I'm taking the LSAT in October, and based on my progress I realistically feel that I can/will score between 167-171. Assuming that I score at or above UCLA's median, would it be wise to ED at UCLA???

I am positive that UCLA is where I want to be, so I'm also looking for any tips that may improve my chances (outside of the LSAT)..

sundance95

Gold

Re: Upward trend in grades really taken into consideration??

Post by sundance95 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:30 pm

Do well on the LSAT and those grades will be fine for UCLA, even with your F.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:55 pm

3.78 is not a bad place to be for UCLA, it is right at or slightly above the median. Below 168, I do not like your chances: you would definitely need to ED but even then it is unlikely. Right at 168, the correct action is debatable. You'd have a decent chance without ED, but since you'd have little chance of money you should probably ED. 169+ you should be in and should not ED as you will have a good chance at scholarship money, especially at 170+.

Seriously, you just need to hit the LSAT as hard as you can until Oct. Although the range you gave (167-171) probably seems small to you now, at UCLA with your GPA it is the difference between getting denied and getting accepted with a huge scholarship.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Upward trends only matter if you went from like a 2.0 to a 4.0 because your mother died or something. I doubt your situation will count. But, lucky for you LSAT is much more important than grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”