Law School Predictor 3.0 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Canarsie

Bronze

Re: Law School Predictor 3.0

Post by Canarsie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Makes me wish I was part black, Mexican, Native American, Eskimo, and part native Canadian.

Did I tick all the URM boxes? yeah. :D
You forgot Puerto Rican. Reeejected.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Some cycles are exceedingly difficult to predict: URM splitters might be the hardest.
Do you mean splitter in the sense of high gpa/low lsat or low lsat/high gpa? Or both?

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Canarsie wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Makes me wish I was part black, Mexican, Native American, Eskimo, and part native Canadian.

Indigenous Canadian=WAY rarer than Puerto Rican.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
angiej wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Some cycles are exceedingly difficult to predict: URM splitters might be the hardest.
Do you mean splitter in the sense of high gpa/low lsat or low lsat/high gpa? Or both?
To some degree, both...but low GPA/high LSAT especially.
I'm high gpa/low lsat. :cry:

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
Canarsie wrote:

100%. But you didn't check ALL of the boxes...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thepaintrain

New

Post by thepaintrain » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
angiej wrote: I'm high gpa/low lsat. :cry:
IMO, that's better. Schools seem to interpret URM applications pretty uniquely, but (in general) they seem more willing to forgive a low LSAT than to forgive a low GPA.
I had a low gpa and higher lsat. I was actually surprised any CA schools said yes, they seem to obsess over gpa.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Canarsie wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
Canarsie wrote:

100%. But you didn't check ALL of the boxes...
Fair enough.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
angiej wrote: I'm high gpa/low lsat. :cry:
IMO, that's better. Schools seem to interpret URM applications pretty uniquely, but (in general) they seem more willing to forgive a low LSAT than to forgive a low GPA.
That's good - I'll keep my fingers crossed. Average for my ethnicity is 148 and I was pting in mid 150's so I was thinking of writing an addendum arguing that I'm actually above average for my ethnic group (per the lsac data). Also, the LSAT was the very first standardized test I ever took. I was out of high school long enough prior to entering undergrad that I didn't need to take the SAT.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm

I most certainly wouldn't argue that "at least I'm slightly better than the other minorities..."

:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:34 pm

angiej wrote:Average for my ethnicity is 148 and I was pting in mid 150's so I was thinking of writing an addendum arguing that I'm actually above average for my ethnic group (per the lsac data).
Law Schools already know this, that is why you will likely receive a URM boost.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:42 pm

On a side note:

I hope my wait for lsp 3.0 is not indicative of my wait for my lsat score.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 pm

kk19131 wrote:I most certainly wouldn't argue that "at least I'm slightly better than the other minorities..."

LOL - your SO right. Gah! What is with me tonight!? I guess I was just trying to say like the white guy who scores 180 - I'm above average too! :oops: Umm . . . no.

Anyway - you all think I should write about my lack of experience with standardized tests? I've also felt a tad disadvantaged in my lsat prep in that I work full time and have class full time which didn't leave a whole lot of extra time for lsat prep. Plus I couldn't afford a class. Is ths worth including?

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

angiej wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I most certainly wouldn't argue that "at least I'm slightly better than the other minorities..."

LOL - your SO right. Gah! What is with me tonight!? I guess I was just trying to say like the white guy who scores 180 - I'm above average too! :oops: Umm . . . no.

Anyway - you all think I should write about my lack of experience with standardized tests? I've also felt a tad disadvantaged in my lsat prep in that I work full time and have class full time which didn't leave a whole lot of extra time for lsat prep. Plus I couldn't afford a class. Is ths worth including?

I would talk about your having to work and go to school full-time before I say anything about "lack of experience with standardized tests"... whatever that means.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I think that - if your score is low - your addendum could say something to the effect of "The (insert date) administration of the LSAT was the first standardized admissions test I have ever taken, and might not be fully indicative of my potential. Due to my non-traditional status and work experience, I was not required to take the SAT for entry into my undergraduate studies, where I earned an (insert GPA)."

I'm totally making this up, and you should ask other people...but I've certainly heard worse excuses, and some of them seem to work.
I like this. My point about lack of experience with standardized testing is that the June administration was literaly the first time I ever had to take a test in a room with 100's of other people under time constraints with the pressure of knowing that if I screw this up, I screw up my chances of attaining my future goals.

I just hope that it isn't received as me making excuses. But I've got bills to pay - I can't not work, and I can't not do school to take the lsat. It is what it is. I studied for 4 months religiously and took 15 preptests, read the PS bibles, etc. So its not like I blew it off and expected to show up and score a 180.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
angiej wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:I think that - if your score is low - your addendum could say something to the effect of "The (insert date) administration of the LSAT was the first standardized admissions test I have ever taken, and might not be fully indicative of my potential. Due to my non-traditional status and work experience, I was not required to take the SAT for entry into my undergraduate studies, where I earned an (insert GPA)."

I'm totally making this up, and you should ask other people...but I've certainly heard worse excuses, and some of them seem to work.
I like this. My point about lack of experience with standardized testing is that the June administration was literaly the first time I ever had to take a test in a room with 100's of other people under time constraints with the pressure of knowing that if I screw this up, I screw up my chances of attaining my future goals.

I just hope that it isn't received as me making excuses. But I've got bills to pay - I can't not work, and I can't not do school to take the lsat. It is what it is. I studied for 4 months religiously and took 15 preptests, read the PS bibles, etc. So its not like I blew it off and expected to show up and score a 180.
Yeah, your mission isn't to get them to discount your LSAT - that is impossible. Your mission is to convince them that your GPA is more indicative of your potential as a law student than your LSAT score is.

Unless you have a great score, in which case your mission is to not screw up and enjoy your awesome acceptances.
True! I PM'd my draft that highlights not only my gpa but also my extracurriculars, work experience, and judicial internship as past success being offered for proof of future success. I hope you don't mind and that's ok.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 pm

I might be the only one who thinks the whole "I don't have experience with standardized tests" argument is pretty weak.

I mean, most people don't take more than 1 or 2 standardized tests in their lives - the SAT/ACT and MAYBE a grad-school test.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:09 pm

kk19131 wrote:I might be the only one who thinks the whole "I don't have experience with standardized tests" argument is pretty weak.

I mean, most people don't take more than 1 or 2 standardized tests in their lives - the SAT/ACT and MAYBE a grad-school test.
OH, I see what you mean. True.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I, in general, think the idea that you are already thinking up and addendum to your lsat score before you even have an lsat score (if I'm not mistaken) is a little weird.

None of you addendum reasons are that strong/unique in my opinion. Not having taken a standardized test to get into UG is unique but kk19131 makes a good point.

Also, many people have to go to class full time/work full time. Not only do some UG students do this (I personally did all through out college) but many people who have been out of school for a while work full time jobs, take care of families, ect. Although I do think this should be included in your application somewhere, I'm not quite sure that the LSAT addendum is the place to do it.

Finally, many people score above the average LSAT score of their race, age group, UG school, ect. Adcoms are well aware of what "average" is for these various groups.

It sounds like you have some pretty unique things to offer besides your lsat score. It sounds like you've accomplished a lot, have a diverse background, and are good at balancing many responsibilities. I think you should focus on achieving the best LSAT score possible and then, instead of drawing more attention to your LSAT score (if unfortunately it ends up being lower than you like) with and addendum, focus on talking up the better parts of your applications in your LORs, personal statement, diversity statement, ect.

That's my 2 cents. Sorry for the long post. Good luck!

GotYourselfAStewGoin

New

Post by GotYourselfAStewGoin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:36 pm

If this thread is still concerned with LSP 3.0, it's actually up now.

paz

New

Post by paz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:39 pm

thoughts on lsp 3.0:

i put some numbers in, and it predicted where i would get accepted. eureka! definitely worth the wait.

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:39 pm

When I click on the link, it's still taking me to 2.6. ??!?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wooderson

New

Post by Wooderson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Where's the in-state feature?

GotYourselfAStewGoin

New

Post by GotYourselfAStewGoin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Wooderson wrote:Where's the in-state feature?
Someone quoted the LSP guy as saying that would not be up immediately. Also, there is an empty box with the note "Arriving early August 2010." That may be where the option eventually shows up.

Wooderson

New

Post by Wooderson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:49 pm

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:
Wooderson wrote:Where's the in-state feature?
Someone quoted the LSP guy as saying that would not be up immediately. Also, there is an empty box with the note "Arriving early August 2010." That may be where the option eventually shows up.
That would be so lame if it didn't come out until August... especially after all the hype that's been built around it

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Figured it out :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”