African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bjohnson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby bjohnson89 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey guys, I recently found out about this site. The advice found in the forums has been great.I have a question regarding my chances at T-14 particularly HYS. I am an undergraduate at Penn State going to graduate next year, I have a 3.85 gpa. I took the lsat 3 times basically the first time Dec 09. The scores have been the following cancel/168/cancel. This last cancel was from the June 2010 lsat (screwed up on mulch and stones game..thought I could do better). Do you guys think that the two cancels are "admissions suicide" for HYS or do I still have a shot? I really want to go to HYS or Columbia. If HYS is out then what do you guys think on EDing at Columbia. Thanks a lot.

kmap
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby kmap » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm confused as to why you took the LSAT again after getting such a good score. Your GPA and LSAT already gave you a great shot at a lot of T14's and with the minority boost, a great shot at HYS as well. As it stands, I dunno how two "cancel"s will affect things. I had one and it didn't hurt me, but I'm not sure what adcomms think. I still think you should have no trouble with other T-14s ... your scores are awesome for anybody, and for a minority applicant, a real rarity.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby Kretzy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:19 pm

I would be incredibly surprised if you didn't get at least one of HYS.

Apply early, and enjoy a JR1 around Thanksgiving and maybe an acceptance to Y or S around the New Year.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:21 pm

You're a Black man with a 168 and you retook the test?

bjohnson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby bjohnson89 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:21 pm

The reason I decided to try again was because I thought a 170 and above would give me a greater chance at HYS.I was also practicing higher in the Pts. However, after reading the threads about URM applicants particularly African Americans I have come to realized that I should not have retaken the LSAT :( .

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Barring some red flag in your application, you're getting H. Y/S...In or WL.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:25 pm

I can already see the LSAT addendum statement (not that you need one OP) and admire that you wanted to gain admission on your own merit rather than URM status. Fantastic numbers, and best of luck at HYS!

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:28 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:I can already see the LSAT addendum statement (not that you need one OP) and admire that you wanted to gain admission on your own merit rather than URM status. Fantastic numbers, and best of luck at HYS!



And it begins...

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby sumus romani » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:29 pm

You have a great shot at YHS.

H has a median gpa of: 3.86
Y is: 3.91
S is: 3.87

Given that you'll get +10 on the LSAT, that gives you:

178 and 3.85. So you'll be above or at median for both at H and S., and above median in just the LSAT in for Y.

Enjoy one of the three.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6371
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:35 pm

To be honest, I think the cancel after you already got your 168 might help...it might show them that you thought you could do better and didn't want to stand pat on it.

bjohnson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby bjohnson89 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. I thought my chances at HYS where destroyed by the two cancels.There was a thread where one person said that the two cancels was basically admission suicide. Like I mentioned, I was thinking on applying ED at Columbia because I thought I had no shot at HYS. Thanks a lot for clearing this up.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby 20121109 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Definitely do not ED at Columbia. You will get at least one of HYS.

bjohnson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby bjohnson89 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks Gaia, you guys have given me hope.I haven't been able to stop thinking about these cancellations.Last week,after canceling and walking out of the testing center, I thought I destroyed my chances at T3.

User avatar
Hiei
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:42 pm

bjohnson89 wrote:Thanks Gaia, you guys have given me hope.I haven't been able to stop thinking about these cancellations.Last week,after canceling and walking out of the testing center, I thought I destroyed my chances at T3.

You will be fine. You'll get Harvard and your chances at Stanford and Yale are pretty high as well. Doing ED at any school would be a very bad idea. If you're interested you should get a full ride within the top 10 (probably UVA and or Michigan).

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby GeePee » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 pm

I'm not sure that I feel like the 2 cancels are just going to be thrown away. I do think they'll hurt you a little bit

That said, they probably won't hurt you enough to knock you out of HYS, provided that you've stayed busy with some activities during your 4 years of undergrad.

User avatar
Hiei
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:50 pm

GeePee wrote:I'm not sure that I feel like the 2 cancels are just going to be thrown away. I do think they'll hurt you a little bit

That said, they probably won't hurt you enough to knock you out of HYS, provided that you've stayed busy with some activities during your 4 years of undergrad.



I had a cancel, one really low LSAT, and a LSAT a few points under his and I got into UVA--he will be fine. There are not enough Black males with that kind of GPA/LSAT combo for him to get shut out of HYS. He will get a full ride at schools like UVA and Duke. He is auto admit at anything below HYS.

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby iamcutdacheck » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 pm

bjohnson89 wrote:Hey guys, I recently found out about this site. The advice found in the forums has been great.I have a question regarding my chances at T-14 particularly HYS. I am an undergraduate at Penn State going to graduate next year, I have a 3.85 gpa. I took the lsat 3 times basically the first time Dec 09. The scores have been the following cancel/168/cancel. This last cancel was from the June 2010 lsat (screwed up on mulch and stones game..thought I could do better). Do you guys think that the two cancels are "admissions suicide" for HYS or do I still have a shot? I really want to go to HYS or Columbia. If HYS is out then what do you guys think on EDing at Columbia. Thanks a lot.


Why the hell did you take the LSAT after the 168?!?

Columbia is an option but look out west to USC and Stanford as well,

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I don't think this will be a problem for you.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:06 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Definitely do not ED at Columbia. You will get at least one of HYS.


+1. I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least 2 out of the HYS.

Edit - I think the 2nd cancel could screw up your chances a bit, but I still would be surprised if you didn't get one of HYS. The sweep may be unattainable with two cancels though.
Last edited by Moxie on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjohnson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby bjohnson89 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:07 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:
bjohnson89 wrote:Hey guys, I recently found out about this site. The advice found in the forums has been great.I have a question regarding my chances at T-14 particularly HYS. I am an undergraduate at Penn State going to graduate next year, I have a 3.85 gpa. I took the lsat 3 times basically the first time Dec 09. The scores have been the following cancel/168/cancel. This last cancel was from the June 2010 lsat (screwed up on mulch and stones game..thought I could do better). Do you guys think that the two cancels are "admissions suicide" for HYS or do I still have a shot? I really want to go to HYS or Columbia. If HYS is out then what do you guys think on EDing at Columbia. Thanks a lot.


Why the hell did you take the LSAT after the 168?!?

Columbia is an option but look out west to USC and Stanford as well,


The reason I decided to retake as I mentioned above is because I felt I could have done better. Unfortunately the June 2010 LSAT, in my opinion, was brutal. After LG, I was done. :x Also, the prep tests scores I had were higher on average than my LSAT score.

bjohnson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby bjohnson89 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:15 pm

mallard wrote:I don't think this will be a problem for you.



Initially I thought it was going to be a huge problem, but I guess it isn't a big deal. Another reason I thought I was in trouble was because last year a close friend(she is Latina) had cancel/cancel/169. She told me that she felt that the cancellations were a big factor in her rejection from Y,and WL/R from H.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:16 pm

The 169 is more the problem. Black males are in higher demand than Hispanic females.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:21 pm

sumus romani wrote:You have a great shot at YHS.

H has a median gpa of: 3.86
Y is: 3.91
S is: 3.87

Given that you'll get +10 on the LSAT, that gives you:

178 and 3.85. So you'll be above or at median for both at H and S., and above median in just the LSAT in for Y.

Enjoy one of the three.



+10?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby kk19131 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Which Penn State do you attend?

What's your major?

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: African American male 168/3.85 no shot HYS?

Postby Moxie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:25 pm

kk19131 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:You have a great shot at YHS.

H has a median gpa of: 3.86
Y is: 3.91
S is: 3.87

Given that you'll get +10 on the LSAT, that gives you:

178 and 3.85. So you'll be above or at median for both at H and S., and above median in just the LSAT in for Y.

Enjoy one of the three.



+10?


Estimation/myth that schools add a set numerical value to your LSAT based on URM status.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests