non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chiltonred
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm

non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby chiltonred » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I'd just like to get a general sense of the types of schools I could get into as my situation is a bit unique.

I graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 from a lower ranked state university, probably T100, but I also have a Ph.D from a top ranked state school in physics. I have publications and have won several fellowships and awards for my academics.

I tested ~160 on the lsats the first time and I'm sure with practice could get it up to high 160s/low 170s. Do have a shot at HYS? Does the Ph.D help at all? Does it hurt that my undergrad gpa is from a lower ranked school, even though it's a 4.0?

I'd like to go into patent law. I'm a non-URM female.

Thanks!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Assuming you are not flame...

You're golden. Get your LSAT to 170+ and you will have a decent shot at any school in the country. A 173+ and you'll almost certainly land one of HYS.

The lower ranked school won't hurt a thing. The PhD won't help a ton, but I think it will help. With your GPA, the only thing you should be concerned with at this point is the LSAT.

chiltonred
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby chiltonred » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Thank you! I'm definitely not a flame. I was mostly worried about the ranking of my undergrad school, since I've heard that that can count against you in law school applications. I also don't have any law work experience so my softs are a bit weak.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:32 pm

Your softs are not weak, although it is unlikely they will matter too much. A PhD is a definitely plus. Adcomms would definitely like to see a PhD more than they would the pre-law club or debate team or something from some 21 year old undergrad student.

And your undergrad will not hurt you.

Just focus 100% on your LSAT and do the very best you can. You should be T6 bound, and if you really rock your LSAT, you'll have a shot at HYS.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:Assuming you are not flame...

You're golden. Get your LSAT to 170+ and you will have a decent shot at any school in the country. A 173+ and you'll almost certainly land one of HYS.

The lower ranked school won't hurt a thing. The PhD won't help a ton, but I think it will help. With your GPA, the only thing you should be concerned with at this point is the LSAT.


OP might have fucked herself with the 160 on her LSAT record for HYS. She needs to seriously study the LSAT, and stop worrying about softs.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Assuming you are not flame...

You're golden. Get your LSAT to 170+ and you will have a decent shot at any school in the country. A 173+ and you'll almost certainly land one of HYS.

The lower ranked school won't hurt a thing. The PhD won't help a ton, but I think it will help. With your GPA, the only thing you should be concerned with at this point is the LSAT.


OP might have fucked herself with the 160 on her LSAT record for HYS. She needs to seriously study the LSAT, and stop worrying about softs.


Oh dang, I read that as she was PTing ~160 since she was just giving an estimate. OP, did you already score a 160 on the LSAT? If that is the case, you are definitely out YS and probably H.

chiltonred
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby chiltonred » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:46 pm

No, you read it right. That was just my first practice test with no study, sorry I should've specified. Although I thought that if you retested and scored 7 points higher at least, that overwrites your old score?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:47 pm

chiltonred wrote:No, you read it right. That was just my first practice test with no study, sorry I should've specified. Although I thought that if you retested and scored 7 points higher at least, that overwrites your old score?


Ok, well just study your ass off, and get a good LSAT. Your GPA is great, now you need a great LSAT. Nothing else matters at this point. Good luck.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: non-traditional 4.0 from lower ranked public uni

Postby im_blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:39 pm

chiltonred wrote:No, you read it right. That was just my first practice test with no study, sorry I should've specified. Although I thought that if you retested and scored 7 points higher at least, that overwrites your old score?

Scores are never overwritten. Certain schools may claim to have a policy of taking the higher score with a significant (+6 or +7) improvement, but they still see all scores.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest