Lost Harvard Undergrad Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Veritaffle

New

Re: Lost Harvard Undergrad

Post by Veritaffle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Veritaffle wrote:Go ahead and explain how you're "about finish" (sic) since Commencement was on May 27.
Gee, it couldn't possibly mean he has a semester or two left.
You'd really use that language to convey something that was going to happen six or twelve months from now? Really? Would you announce that it's "almost [your] birthday!" two months beforehand?

Gee, it seems that the kid is a fraud. And dodged my House question. Pfoho is broho.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 pm

CambridgeKid wrote: And where did we land on retaking the LSAT and scoring lower? It sounds like you guys think I'm on the bubble as it is. I wouldn't want to risk it if the downside is losing Manhattan completely.

Only you can answer this question for yourself, young grasshoppa.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Veritaffle wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Veritaffle wrote:Go ahead and explain how you're "about finish" (sic) since Commencement was on May 27.
Gee, it couldn't possibly mean he has a semester or two left.
You'd really use that language to convey something that was going to happen six or twelve months from now? Really? Would you announce that it's "almost [your] birthday!" two months beforehand?
(Sidenote regarding the birthday question: Yes, absolutely. I did that leading up to my 21st birthday all the damn time [I don't literally mean all the in which I existed, believe it or not, and neither do I mean to say the said time was literally crused].)

Think about what you're saying. You're arguing that a ridiculously subjective colloquialism is proof that someone you don't know is fabricating the entire purpose of the thread. Unheard of? No. Impossible? No, of course not. Likely or certainly? No one knows, you included. Let's assume you're right, and this person has randomly decided to fabricate a background. I wouldn't even call it a flame. At worst it's just some non-Harvard student asking a question out of curiosity to see what people think. In other words, it doesn't really matter, so why care? Just answer the dude's question or don't.

CambridgeKid

New

Post by CambridgeKid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 pm

I think you guys are just going to have to take my word for it on this one. I haven't yet graduated, but it's coming up fast and I need to have a plan with law school. If this is a problem of typos, I assure you there's a lot more where that came from.

So did I describe the Fordham strategy accurately? Is that what you were getting at? Something along those lines?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:Maybe a flame, but I'm still interested in this:
romothesavior wrote: As long as OP thinks he can improve (even slightly), there is no reason not to take it.
Cilent21 wrote: But what if the OP thinks he can also decline in score (even slightly)? Then there is def reason not to retake
They only count the highest test, so retaking seems wise with a significant chance for improvement, but is it a black spot on your app if you shoot for a higher score and fail? If so, how bad is it?
What do you mean "they only count the highest test?" We're not even talking about a specific school. Most schools do not just look at the highest test; rather, they either average, or take a holistic look at all scores. So retaking and declining can def hurt at some schools.

Also: If your not flame, then why not just explain to us what you mean by "finishing up undergrad?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
romothesavior wrote: As long as OP thinks he can improve (even slightly), there is no reason not to take it.
Cilent21 wrote: But what if the OP thinks he can also decline in score (even slightly)? Then there is def reason not to retake
They only count the highest test, so retaking seems wise with a significant chance for improvement, but is it a black spot on your app if you shoot for a higher score and fail? If so, how bad is it?
What do you mean "they only count the highest test?" We're not even talking about a specific school. Most schools do not just look at the highest test; rather, they either average, or take a holistic look at all scores. So retaking and declining can def hurt at some schools.

Also: If commencement was on 27th, this is def flame.
Actually, most schools look at the highest score. Only a few schools average anymore, and "taking a holistic view of multiple scores" is just what law schools say when they want to pretend they aren't number whores (but still are).

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Actually, most schools look at the highest score. Only a few schools average anymore, and "taking a holistic view of multiple scores" is just what law schools say when they want to pretend they aren't number whores (but still are).
Ehh I disagree. I think a one-time taker with a 170 is no doubt better then a two-time taker with a 170 and 167 -- and I think adcoms really do look at this.

Although I do agree there are a number of situations where retaking to get you over the hump at some schools is clearly the right move to make, I wouldn't recommend it to the OP here unless he was consistently scoring much higher

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Cilent21 wrote:

Also: If your not flame, then why not just explain to us what you mean by "finishing up undergrad?"
Outed as dumb.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Actually, most schools look at the highest score. Only a few schools average anymore, and "taking a holistic view of multiple scores" is just what law schools say when they want to pretend they aren't number whores (but still are).
Ehh I disagree. I think a one-time taker with a 170 is no doubt better then a two-time taker with a 170 and 167 -- and I think adcoms really do look at this.

Although I do agree there are a number of situations where retaking to get you over the hump at some schools is clearly the right move to make, I wouldn't recommend it to the OP here unless he was consistently scoring much higher
If by most schools you mean: HYS only

then yes, "most" schools still seriously factor in your lower scores....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

upwardtrend

New

Post by upwardtrend » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:58 pm

1. This kid isnt a flame, it makes perfect sense for him to say "hes about to finish up his undergrad" if it is the summer after his junior year. He probably said so to show that he doesnt have to much time to raise the GPA and will be applying during his senior year.

2. I think he has a good shot at Penn. Going to Harvard undergrad DOES matter, just not as much as GPA/LSAT obviously. Penn tends to favor kids from elite schools too. Its obvious that he can handle law school with a 170/Harvard degree, just put forth a good application and hope for the best.

Veritaffle

New

Post by Veritaffle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:07 pm

If this kid were at Harvard he wouldn't be coming to TLS for advice because he'd have his HOUSE PRE-LAW TUTORS as well as THE GRIDS AT OCS whose job it is to give him the scoop on everything. But we don't know who his tutors are because we don't know what House he's in because...he doesn't go to Harvard.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:28 am

Veritaffle wrote:If this kid were at Harvard he wouldn't be coming to TLS for advice because he'd have his HOUSE PRE-LAW TUTORS as well as THE GRIDS AT OCS whose job it is to give him the scoop on everything. But we don't know who his tutors are because we don't know what House he's in because...he doesn't go to Harvard.
TITCR. No one from Harvard UG has ever asked for advice on this forum. :roll:

Kochel

Bronze

Post by Kochel » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 am

Veritaffle wrote:If this kid were at Harvard he wouldn't be coming to TLS for advice because he'd have his HOUSE PRE-LAW TUTORS as well as THE GRIDS AT OCS whose job it is to give him the scoop on everything. But we don't know who his tutors are because we don't know what House he's in because...he doesn't go to Harvard.
When I was at HLS, a few of my good friends were pre-law tutors. If I'd been an undergrad then, I certainly would not have gone to them for advice. :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:04 pm

pilawpcv

New

Post by pilawpcv » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 pm

My prelaw tutors were very nice, but our conversations went like this:

Him: You want to go to law school?
Me: Yes.
Him: So here's the best schools for biglaw * talks a lot *
Me: Well, actually I want to do public interest. Maybe a joint degree?
Him: Hm. I think I may have a paper on that somewhere...

(Fear the tree!)

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 am

pilawpcv wrote:My prelaw tutors were very nice, but our conversations went like this:

Him: You want to go to law school?
Me: Yes.
Him: So here's the best schools for biglaw * talks a lot *
Me: Well, actually I want to do public interest. Maybe a joint degree?
Him: Hm. I think I may have a paper on that somewhere...

(Fear the tree!)
the best schools for corporate law or almost always the best schools for PI too, so...

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:Retake that 170. Get 173+, and you've got a shot at NYU.
Even coming from Harvard, I think this is incorrect. A 3.3/176+ would have a shot. A 173 (75th percentile) is very likely not going to cut it, even ED.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”