How high to aim? : )

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gumaerdu

How high to aim? : )

Postby gumaerdu » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks for the advice!
Last edited by gumaerdu on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigMediocre

Re: How high to aim? : )

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:29 am

Is your UG prestigious? (As in, HYP prestigious). If so, throw apps into HY. Otherwise, just H and even then it'll be a shot in the dark.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 am

Aim high.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Just apply everywhere! Is 150 dollars to NOT apply at HYS worth giving up the chance at going to 3 of the best law schools in the world? And you stand a good chance. BTW, really hope this thread isn't a flame.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:43 pm

just apply everywhere -- your gpa isn't THAT low, and with a perfect lsat you never know. i expect you'll get some fee waivers, so it may not end up being as expensive as you think.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Ask for fee waivers.
Apply to every school in the T14.
Make selection.
Profit.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Two ways to save money:
1. Unless you want to fish for scholarship money there is no need to apply to any school ranked lower than NYU.
2. Don't apply to Yale or Stanford. You won't get into either. HLS is possible. Unlikely, but you have a very very small chance.

So, apply to NYU, Chicago, Columbia, and Harvard.
You'll get merit fee waivers automatically from a bunch of schools ranked between 12 and 6 so applying to any of them will only cost $12 (lsac fee). Don't bother applying to UVA because you'll get YP (most likely the same at Penn) but if you want money apply to Michigan and Duke. Apply to northwestern (especially if you have work experience) as you'll likely get a bunch of money there.

So, if you aren't looking for big scholarships at lower ranked schools (no reason to think you won't get grants at ccn anyways) then just apply to HCCN. If you're looking for a full-ride or a 50% or whatever scholarship apply to Duke, Michigan, and Northwestern (assuming you get fee-waivers).

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:15 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Two ways to save money:
1. Unless you want to fish for scholarship money there is no need to apply to any school ranked lower than NYU.
2. Don't apply to Yale or Stanford. You won't get into either. HLS is possible. Unlikely, but you have a very very small chance.

Didn't work out so well for this guy (shut out of HCCNMVP):
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/zero256

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:Two ways to save money:

Didn't work out so well for this guy (shut out of HCCNMVP):
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/zero256

Wow that blows, but I'm assuming he applied late in the cycle??

I wouldn't think the OP needs to apply below T10, and I think it's definitely worth it to apply to Harvard (even though the odds are slim). I think applying to Yale is a tough decision, since his odds are almost zero, but it's probably worth the $70 for some piece of mind...

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm

With a lowly 168 and a GPA around yours, I was WL'd as high as Columbia. I'll be attending Cornell. If you apply early, you're golden for the T14, and you should expect at least one if not multiple T6 offers. Good luck, and 'grats on that 180!

Return to “What are my chances?”