Where should I be looking?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Montevillian

Where should I be looking?

Postby Montevillian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Hey, I am a sophomore at my undergraduate right now, and I'm looking at where I should be aiming for law school. Specifically, where would be a bit of a stretch right now, but maybe could happen with better softs and a slightly stronger LSAT. I've taken two practice LSATs and scored about a 170 on both. Currently, my GPA is 3.88, though I'm not going to take for granted it will get better. I am a clerk at the district attorney's office near where I live, I've done a decent amount of community work and have helped out with a number of political campaigns. I have a SGA job at my undergraduate and am hoping to clerk at a law firm sometime this year. After that, I'm not sure. Assuming my numbers stay roughly the same (I know what happens with assumptions, but bear with me here), what schools should I be looking into working towards?
I live in Alabama but I would rather not go to UA's law school. I recognize it is a great program and I should be so lucky to go there, but I would rather not for personal reasons. Any help you can offer at all would be wonderful.
Thank you!

EDIT: Yes, I have seen the law school calculators, by the way.
Last edited by Montevillian on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Re: Where should I be looking?

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Flame

richardfitzwell

Postby richardfitzwell » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Don't you still have to go to college after graduating from UA??????????

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:29 pm

richardfitzwell wrote:Don't you still have to go to college after graduating from UA??????????

Probably. I don't go to UA, though, I'm just from Alabama, the state. :wink:

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:35 pm

If you can maintain a 3.7 and increase your score to a solid 170+ (not just about 170) then you should be good for the lower T14. Also add an organization or 2 to your EC just for well roundedness.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:Flame

(what a waste --- good way to just add to your post count though)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 pm

World B. Free wrote:

Agreed.

OP, if you are real... go enjoy college dude. Don't think about the LSAT again until maybe March of your junior year. With your GPA and your PT scores, you'll be fine. Come back to us when you have a real score and are about to apply.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:56 pm

Just keep your good GPA up and take your time w/ the LSAT... then you will not need to worry about much

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
World B. Free wrote:

Agreed.

OP, if you are real... go enjoy college dude. Don't think about the LSAT again until maybe March of your junior year. With your GPA and your PT scores, you'll be fine. Come back to us when you have a real score and are about to apply.

Sorry, I suppose my post count did give the impression I wasn't real? Thanks for the help anyway, though, really. I was really wondering so early mainly to see if there was anything I could do, since I was thinking about it now instead of then, to show something to the effect of commitment to the idea of attending a decent law school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:02 pm

Montevillian wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
World B. Free wrote:

Agreed.

Sorry, I suppose my post count did give the impression I wasn't real? Thanks for the help anyway, though, really. I was really wondering so early mainly to see if there was anything I could do, since I was thinking about it now instead of then, to show something to the effect of commitment to the idea of attending a decent law school.

Your numbers will speak for themselves. Absent a Rhodes Scholarship, a prestigious job, some active duty military experience, etc. you will not have any game-changing resume experience. Just get a little bit involved so you don't look like a total bum, and do whatever you find to be enjoyable. Working at a law firm isn't going to help your resume, but if it pays well and you enjoy it, then go for it.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:22 pm

I started thinking about the LSAT, and law school, in my Sophomore year... so OP might be genuine. :)

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:29 pm

If your first practice test ever was a 170, I'm sure you can score a 175+ with some studying.

If that's the case, and you keep your GPA up around 3.8 you're looking at HYP. Apply to CCN as safeties.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:36 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote: HYP.

?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 pm

WrappedUpInBooks wrote:If your first practice test ever was a 170, I'm sure you can score a 175+ with some studying.

If that's the case, and you keep your GPA up around 3.8 you're looking at HYP. Apply to CCN as safeties.

Egregious Penn trolling!

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 am

Thank you guys very much, I really appreciate all the help!

Return to “What are my chances?”