Recommend a law school for me?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
luckytiger

Recommend a law school for me?

Postby luckytiger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:27 am

Hey all,

I've ran the numbers a few times and I'm looking for some input on schools I should consider applying to in the fall.

LSAT: 163
GPA: (split between two schools, one high GPA and one low): 3.4

I've spent about a year and a half cumulatively working in the legal field that I want to practice in, about a year of that at a fairly prestigious office. The two most important factors of choosing a law school for me are likelihood of getting some sort of scholarship (since my field is not particularly financially rewarding) and a strong reputation for public interest law. Of course, the higher ranked the better but I don't have my head in the clouds here. And finally, I would prefer to live on one of the coasts - the northwest if at all possible.

I've already made my own tentative list but I just want to make sure I'm not kidding myself about where I should be looking. 8)

Thanks for your help!

LT

blurbz

Re: Recommend a law school for me?

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:30 am

What is the field you're talking about?

How debt averse are you (Are you willing to take a lower ranked school with more scholarship money than a higher ranked school at sticker?)?

What region is important to you?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 am

With your stats & for PNW: Lewis & Clark, U. of Oregon. Should be OK for both, probably some money. And both boast about their public-interest programs.

Both offered me a little (emphasis on little) $, and I was: 3.72/161.
Last edited by ozarkhack on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckytiger

Postby luckytiger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 am

blurbz wrote:What is the field you're talking about?

How debt averse are you (Are you willing to take a lower ranked school with more scholarship money than a higher ranked school at sticker?)?

I want to be a public defender.

Definitely willing to exchange ranking for scholarship money.

Like I said, either of the coasts, north or south are good with me. Northwest is my preference. With that said, I am willing to settle for the midwest as well since that's where I'm from.

Basically, what is important to me is scholarship money and a strong public interest reputation. The other things are wants but not needs.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 am

Retake, get 1 point higher and you have a chance at University of Washington, get 5 points higher and you'll likely get in.

EDIT: Since you just said midwest is ok, I think OSU would be a great choice.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:44 am

luckytiger wrote:
blurbz wrote:What is the field you're talking about?

I want to be a public defender.

Definitely willing to exchange ranking for scholarship money.

Like I said, either of the coasts, north or south are good with me. Northwest is my preference. With that said, I am willing to settle for the midwest as well since that's where I'm from.

Basically, what is important to me is scholarship money and a strong public interest reputation. The other things are wants but not needs.

I agree with the above poster about Oregon and etc.

That being said, if you're willing to consider the east coast, there are a number of higher ranking schools you would have a good shot at (like American) but probably with less money. For your job goals and with IBR, L&C, Oregon, Seattle, etc sound like good options!

What schools did you have on your list already?

Return to “What are my chances?”