URM 4.0/168 Mexican-American

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dondiego

URM 4.0/168 Mexican-American

Postby dondiego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Hey guys long time lurker. Basically I wanted to see some input on what you guys think my chances are at HYS. I have checked law school predictor, but I heard that it is unreliable when it comes to URMs.

Thanks for the input.

Core

Re: URM 4.0/168 Mexican-American

Postby Core » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:15 pm

dondiego wrote:Hey guys long time lurker. Basically I wanted to see some input on what you guys think my chances are at HYS. I have checked law school predictor, but I heard that it is unreliable when it comes to URMs.

Thanks for the input.

Idk how helpful this is to ya, but I'm a 3.94 and 168 PR. I was rejected by Yale, and waitlisted at Stanford and Harvard (I received a JR1 interview back in November, but no JR2).

lmarie81

Postby lmarie81 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Are there any details you can add? Work experience, etc?

dondiego

Postby dondiego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:21 pm

Wow.Thanks for the fast response. I graduated this year from a state university. I am applying for Fall 2011, I have average softs. I have no work experience that will impress someone( admissions). What do you think are my chances at CCN.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:24 pm

dondiego wrote:Wow.Thanks for the fast response. I graduated this year from a state university. I am applying for Fall 2011, I have average softs. I have no work experience that will impress someone( admissions). What do you think are my chances at CCN.

You will probably break into CCN. This past cycle was incredibly competitive (relative to past cycles) so you might fare better than I did. Just apply early and prepare a strong statement.

dondiego

Postby dondiego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Core, if you don't mind me asking when did you send your applications? Also, given the probable competitiveness of this coming year's cycle do you see someone with my stats getting into H (assuming I send applications early and solid PS)?

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Don, do any of your activities deal with the Mexican-American community? I've noticed that URMs who are involved in their ethnic community seem to be better off in the application cycle then URMs who do not.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm

My advice to you is to apply early. Have a good personal statement that is error free -- I cannot stress this enough. Realize that you are not that much of a URM as compared to African-Americans, so don't expect to get into places where you do not have a chance. Also, don't milk your URM status too much. As far as I'm concerned, Mexican-Americans don't qualify as URMs, but that's just me (I milked my URM status for all I could and it back-fired at some places, lol).

Also, don't apply to schools where you are not above the median numbers or else you'll get wait-listed. Even if you are one point below the median LSAT, you will get wait-listed.

Rely on your numbers, and then tell them that you just happened to be Mexican-American.

Good luck!

dondiego

Postby dondiego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Yea I have done some volunteer work in my community, although I would say that the volunteer work was not specifically geared toward the Mexican- American community but rather toward the Hispanic/Latino community overall. This is because that part of NJ where I live there are much more Hispanics(non-Mexican American) relative to Mexican-Americans.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm

dondiego wrote:Core, if you don't mind me asking when did you send your applications? Also, given the probable competitiveness of this coming year's cycle do you see someone with my stats getting into H (assuming I send applications early and solid PS)?

I applied in mid-October. Click the link for my LSN in my profile.
I think you have a great shot. I obviously had a shot because I was interviewed. As mentioned above, your role within the Hispanic community (and any hardships you've faced) will play a big role in your application.
I think that for non-AA URMS, law school predictor is worthless. PR's and MX do not receive as nearly as huge a boost that AA's do. You'll see a lot of AA's get into HYS with low/mid-160's. You will not see that for Hispanic URMs, save for a few special cases.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Core wrote:
dondiego wrote:Core, if you don't mind me asking when did you send your applications? Also, given the probable competitiveness of this coming year's cycle do you see someone with my stats getting into H (assuming I send applications early and solid PS)?

I applied in mid-October. Click the link for my LSN in my profile.
I think you have a great shot. I obviously had a shot because I was interviewed. As mentioned above, your role within the Hispanic community (and any hardships you've faced) will play a big role in your application.
I think that for non-AA URMS, law school predictor is worthless. PR's and MX do not receive as nearly as huge a boost that AA's do. You'll see a lot of AA's get into HYS with low/mid-160's. You will not see that for Hispanic URMs, save for a few special cases.

Exactly! Your best bet is to pretend that you are not a URM when you apply. It's rather unfortunate that we don't get the boost that AA applicants receive, but that's life I guess. Rely on your numbers and save all your softs for matter-of-fact conversations.

mbw

Postby mbw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:47 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:My advice to you is to apply early. Have a good personal statement that is error free -- I cannot stress this enough. Realize that you are not that much of a URM as compared to African-Americans, so don't expect to get into places where you do not have a chance. Also, don't milk your URM status too much. As far as I'm concerned, Mexican-Americans don't qualify as URMs, but that's just me (I milked my URM status for all I could and it back-fired at some places, lol).

Also, don't apply to schools where you are not above the median numbers or else you'll get wait-listed. Even if you are one point below the median LSAT, you will get wait-listed.

Do not follow this advice, especially with your GPA.

Apply to everywhere, including HYS. Everything will depend upon the number of applications next cycle and strength of your application, but your numbers are excellent for a URM and there is no reason for you not to aim high.

Good luck.

Core

Postby Core » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:51 pm

mbw wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:My advice to you is to apply early. Have a good personal statement that is error free -- I cannot stress this enough. Realize that you are not that much of a URM as compared to African-Americans, so don't expect to get into places where you do not have a chance. Also, don't milk your URM status too much. As far as I'm concerned, Mexican-Americans don't qualify as URMs, but that's just me (I milked my URM status for all I could and it back-fired at some places, lol).

Apply to everywhere, including HYS. Everything will depend upon the number of applications next cycle and strength of your application, but your numbers are excellent for a URM and there is no reason for you not to aim high.

Good luck.

Yes! Definitely. Apply widely. Solicit fee waivers if you can't get an LSAC fee waiver, too.

dondiego

Postby dondiego » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks I will def be applying to the T-5.

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 pm

mbw wrote:

Apply [strike]to[/strike] everywhere, including HYS. Everything will depend upon the number of applications next cycle and strength of your application, but your numbers are excellent for a URM and there is no reason for you not to aim high.

Good luck.

Never was it stated for the OP to not aim high.
Don't apply everywhere if you are not on a fee waiver. Applications cost money. If the OP can afford to apply all over the place, then so be it. Don't rely on your URM status. Instead, rely on your numbers.

Secondly, if you don't know how many people will apply next cycle, don't dwell on it or try to gauge it for your chances at admissions. This is the stupidest thing ever.

Worry about yourself and rely on your numbers.

My advice stands.

One last thing, begin the fee waiver process as soon as possible. Don't wait until you are applying to begin the process.

Cheers and good luck!

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:06 pm

dondiego wrote:Hey guys long time lurker. Basically I wanted to see some input on what you guys think my chances are at HYS. I have checked law school predictor, but I heard that it is unreliable when it comes to URMs.

Thanks for the input.

Congrats on the numbers you'll get in at a lot of great places.

I am also Mexican-American, with numbers similar to yours (ok lower that yours) 3.9 166. However my 3.9 is from HYP and I also have a Rhodes/Marshall/Truman under my belt so our results may differ but I applied in late September and was accepted at HYS.

I think you have a great chance, but I wouldn't say you are a sure thing. If you were black I'd say you were in for sure, but it doesn't work that way for us. Apply to every school in the T-13 but I'd bet that out of HYS you are most likely in at Stanford.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you next year!

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:50 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Don, do any of your activities deal with the Mexican-American community? I've noticed that URMs who are involved in their ethnic community seem to be better off in the application cycle then URMs who do not.

Don't listen to this, it"s complete speculation.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:57 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Also, don't apply to schools where you are not above the median numbers or else you'll get wait-listed. Even if you are one point below the median LSAT, you will get wait-listed.

SwollenMonkey wrote:Exactly! Your best bet is to pretend that you are not a URM when you apply. It's rather unfortunate that we don't get the boost that AA applicants receive, but that's life I guess. Rely on your numbers and save all your softs for matter-of-fact conversations.

SwollenMonkey wrote:Don't apply everywhere if you are not on a fee waiver. Applications cost money. If the OP can afford to apply all over the place, then so be it. Don't rely on your URM status. Instead, rely on your numbers.

Do you get paid to offer such bad advice on such a regular basis? I don't think I've ever seen you say anything credited.

The OP is a URM with a 4.0 and a 168, for Christ's sake. He has an outside shot at HYS, a good shot at CCN, and is near lock from there on down. $70 is a small price to pay when we're talking about scholarship money at elite law schools.

dondiego

Postby dondiego » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks for the great advice.I must admit that I am kind of skeptical on some of monkey's advice. Nonetheless, I am def. applying to HYS, whether or not I receive a fee waiver.Elmagic, hopefully I will see you next year!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 pm

dondiego wrote:Thanks for the great advice.I must admit that I am kind of skeptical on some of monkey's advice. Nonetheless, I am def. applying to HYS, whether or not I receive a fee waiver.Elmagic, hopefully I will see you next year!

I'd apply to HYSCC and two or three schools schools that sound appealing to you. Definitely the T5 though.

Ask for fee waivers at all schools you apply to. The worse they can say is no, and I'll bet you'll get them at about half of the schools you apply to. I know swollenmonkey may disagree, but I think spending $200-300 on the most important career move of your life to this point is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And if you qualify for an LSAC fee waiver, all of this is moot.

You're in great shape. Good luck.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:34 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Don't apply everywhere if you are not on a fee waiver. Applications cost money. If the OP can afford to apply all over the place, then so be it. Don't rely on your URM status. Instead, rely on your numbers.

This is completely and flatly terrible advice; do not listen to it. Mexican-Americans are definitely URMs and you will see acceptances significantly above your numbers. It is worth the application fee to apply to the entire T6, and probably a couple lower T14 schools as safeties (though they should definitely be giving you fee waivers, E-mail and ask and you'll get some!).

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
mbw wrote:

Apply [strike]to[/strike] everywhere, including HYS. Everything will depend upon the number of applications next cycle and strength of your application, but your numbers are excellent for a URM and there is no reason for you not to aim high.

Good luck.
Never was it stated for the OP to not aim high.
Don't apply everywhere if you are not on a fee waiver. Applications cost money. If the OP can afford to apply all over the place, then so be it. Don't rely on your URM status. Instead, rely on your numbers.

Secondly, if you don't know how many people will apply next cycle, don't dwell on it or try to gauge it for your chances at admissions. This is the stupidest thing ever.

Worry about yourself and rely on your numbers.

My advice stands.

One last thing, begin the fee waiver process as soon as possible. Don't wait until you are applying to begin the process.

Cheers and good luck!
It might stand, but it still sucks. Anecdote: my good friend, a Mexican-American, applied to NYU with a 3.97/164, was accepted within three weeks of applying, and proceeded to get one of the named scholarships. Granted, she had done TFA beforehand, which is a big help. But 164 is waaaaaay below median at NYU. Keep in mind she was waitlisted at Y, H, C and P, so your results may vary widely. But jesus not applying anywhere where you're below the LSAT median is dumb.

romothesavior wrote:
dondiego wrote:Thanks for the great advice.I must admit that I am kind of skeptical on some of monkey's advice. Nonetheless, I am def. applying to HYS, whether or not I receive a fee waiver.Elmagic, hopefully I will see you next year!
I'd apply to HYSCC and two or three schools schools that sound appealing to you. Definitely the T5 though.

Ask for fee waivers at all schools you apply to. The worse they can say is no, and I'll bet you'll get them at about half of the schools you apply to. I know swollenmonkey may disagree, but I think spending $200-300 on the most important career move of your life to this point is really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And if you qualify for an LSAC fee waiver, all of this is moot.

Anti-my-beloved NYU trolling :x

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:26 am

romothesavior wrote:

Anti-my-beloved NYU trolling :x[/quote]

I won't even deny it...

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:32 am

Well, now you either have a fucked up quote tag or an ugly edit bar in your post. So there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:34 am

clintonius wrote:Well, now you either have a fucked up quote tag or an ugly edit bar in your post. So there.

Yeah that's why I'm going to a TTTT like WashingTTTTon University instead of TTT like New York UniversiTTTy. I suck.

Return to “What are my chances?”