Question from someone just begining the process...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TKAM89

Question from someone just begining the process...

Postby TKAM89 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:12 pm

Hello!

I don't really have any specific questions yet, but I thought I would try and see if I could gain some general information as I begin the process of preparing for the LSAT, the application process and beyond...

I am currently a senior at USC undergrad. My GPA right now is 3.97 and I have yet to take the LSAT -- I am planning on taking it in December and am planning on using Testmasters courses, then have a tutor once a week for one-on-on time and I have the Powerscore Logic Games/Logical Reasoning Bibles (does this sound like a solid plan?) I just feel so lost at this early point in the process of things, and am trying to get any info I can...and look forward to discovering as much info as I can on this forum!

More specifically, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insights into the difficulty of getting into USC Law and if they have any parts of the application they tend to add more emphasis on than others (i.e. GPA vs. LSAT score, etc.)

ANY tips, pieces of info, or anything of the like is most welcome and appreciated. Also, since this if my first post, if I am violating any rules/repeating a question that's been asked, etc. then a mod feel free to delete this!

Thanks for reading this!!

Dr. Strangelove

Re: Question from someone just begining the process...

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:01 am

Congrats on the 3.97! Depending on what you get on the LSAT- you may want to shoot higher.
If you know you want to work in California.. try for UCLA & UC-Berkeley.

Minimum LSAT Needed
USC: 163
UCLA: 163
UC-Berkeley: 165

The California schools love high GPA applicants- so if that's where you want to go for law school- you're in luck!

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:05 am

Cali schools love GPA, so you're in a very good position. You're probably a lock at USC with a 167, but with that GPA you should aim for the stars. Stanford, Boalt, and UCLA (I'm sure you'd prefer USC as they're basically peer schools, but I thought I'd mention it) would all be possible with the right LSAT. Other than Stanford, you could potentially get any one of them with a 165, possibly lower. The higher your score, the better the chances, and more scholly money. All I can say is you're probably a smart kid, so aim for 180 and see what happens.

As for the preparation, the bibles are great. I would see where your score is at before you drop $$$ on a course and tutor. Self study is held in high regard around here. Basically LG is the most learnable, LR is next, and RC is the toughest to improve. Focus your studying in that order and read dense material when you have time.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:07 am

In terms of California, with that GPA Stanford should start to become a target school at around a 169 LSAT I would think.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:34 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Congrats on the 3.97! Depending on what you get on the LSAT- you may want to shoot higher.
If you know you want to work in California.. try for UCLA & UC-Berkeley.

Minimum LSAT Needed
USC: 163
UCLA: 163
UC-Berkeley: 165

The California schools love high GPA applicants- so if that's where you want to go for law school- you're in luck!

http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Judging by LSN from this cycle, there was a wall that kept out an assload of applicants with sub-167s. Only two guys with 164s and similar GPAs got in. Admittedly LSN isn't the complete applicant pool but it's still something worth noting.

EDIT: I know you said needed and were just establishing a necessary (not sufficient) floor for OP. Just pointing out some relevant data.

OP, it seems like you have a good plan and mazel tov on the wicked GPA. Bust your butt, get a 167+, and win at life.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:02 am

TKAM89 wrote:Hello!

I am planning on taking it in December and am planning on using Testmasters courses, then have a tutor once a week for one-on-on time and I have the Powerscore Logic Games/Logical Reasoning Bibles (does this sound like a solid plan?)

When are you planning on applying/starting law school? I'm just asking because the December LSAT is kind of late if you want to start the following fall.

TKAM89

Postby TKAM89 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:22 am

Wow, thanks everyone for the thoughtful input, it is much appreciated!

It was nice to hear that CA schools tend to like the higher GPA, I really worked for that during college and am confident I will maintain it for my senior year.

I will definitely look into other schools in California, like some of you stated in your replies...I just need to start gathering more information, its daunting with all that's out there!

In terms of when I am planning to apply/start Law school...I still need to figure out what the process of applying is--I heard that most schools do rolling admission, which I am assuming means they take applications year-round, or is it that the applications are accepted anytime between a designated start and end date?

Anyway, I am torn at the moment as to whether I should try and work for a year between UG and applying to law school. I am currently interning at a company that I have been with for two semesters and have made a great impression at--yet the possibility of being hired is still a total gamble...

I also read somewhere that the sooner you turn in an application the better, but I wasn't sure.

If I wanted to start Fall 2011, then do you guys think the Dec. LSAT is too late? Would I be better off taking the Dec. LSAT, then applying for Fall 2012? I'm not able to take the Testmasters course prep for the Oct. test because it runs on a Tues/Thurs and I have class on those days and one of them is from 7-11PM that I need to fulfill a graduation requirement...the way I was thinking about it was one hurdle at a time. Tackle the LSAT first, work my butt off, get a great score, then focus my energy on applications, personal statement, reqs, etc. Oh boy, so many options...

Wow..this turned into an essay, I am sorry. Like I said, really appreciate the time taken to respond to my post!

I feel like such a newbie! Ah...it's like college apps/the SAT all over again, but on steroids, lol.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:20 am

You have to do a cost/benefit analysis.
Law schools have rolling admissions, so it's better to apply early.
However, if you don't think you'll do well on the LSAT in October but a much better shot of doing well on it in December- it may be better to wait.

170 who applies around October>170 who applies around December>160 who applies around October>160 who applies around December.
Applying early is important- but having the higher LSAT score is even more important.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:56 am

I might be wrong, but it seems that most law students have a few years in between UG graduation and 1L. If you have a great oppotunity to make some cash and study, that can work out great.

I'm seeing more and more that the LSAT is something to master. The more time, the better... Take a diagnostic and see where you match up and then determine how much studying you need.

If you just want to be a lawyer asap and you're super-driven, then there's nothing stopping you now. But, if you're torn and want to enjoy ($$$) a little of the work you've put forth so far then take a year or so.

I wish I had a 3.97. :( I'm not jealous at all...Congrats!

TKAM89

Postby TKAM89 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks again for the responses!

I have a lot of decision making to do--if I end up taking it in December (and I get a good score), I may apply for admission for the Fall of 2012 and potentially work after I graduate from college. My main focus right now is getting as much LSAT prep as I can to do well on the test. During this coming semester I am also going to try and do some community service to help with the "soft" portion of my application--which is a whole nother area I need to think about (I am in numerous honor societies (Phi Kappa Phi being one of them), always been on the Dean's List, studied abroad in France one summer and this past semester studied abroad in London...do things such as these have a large impact on the application process? Another thing I could do in my time before I apply is try to boost these aspects more by doing more volunteer work in the community etc. I just don't want the fact that I worked so hard academically to bite me in the butt by putting all my time and energy into that and not into community service, which I read somewhere is important to have (am I mistaken?)

At least in terms of USC I am going to try and make an excellent impression on my upcoming Argumentation and Advocacy professor, because I know she is a lawyer and attended USC Law, and I'll hopefully be able to ask h her about her experiences and form productive relationship with her to get more information and advice.

This forum is so great...it is like therapy, lol.

As usual..thanks for reading :)

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I am also wondering how the October LSAT stacks up considering rolling admissions at almost all schools... But I guess a great LSAT score in October beats a mediocre LSAT score in June? (162-164).

Return to “What are my chances?”