164 / 3.98 (numerous softs) - chances for T30?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JOThompson

Re: 164 / 3.98 (numerous softs) - chances for T30?

Postby JOThompson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 am

I expect you'll receive acceptances at Davis, BC, and BU at the very least. A Berkeley waitlist isn't out of the question either. I wouldnt be surprised if you landed solid acceptances at the lower T14 as well. Thanks for your service and good luck with the applications.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am

Logic games is the section of the lsat that is most conducive to learning if practiced. I'd say you have a very significant chance of getting into Berkeley as it stands, two years ago they accepted a 4.0, 161 from this board, though I won't say who. Anyways, military experience is the best soft outside of URM, and I'd say you have a stellar chance of a w/l > accept or even outright acceptance from Berkeley. But, to be honest, if I were in your situation I'd retake the lsat and see if I couldn't break a 170, because that would make you a lock for significant scholarships at many T14 schools in addition to giving you a chance at HYS.

Just saying.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Kretzy wrote:A 164/3.89 wounded combat vet (with an extraordinary story, mind you) got into both Boalt and SLS this year. It's not by any means out of the question, though it's far from a guarantee.

Best of luck. That's an impressive GPA (no matter the UG). If you really want to guarantee a T10, I'd ED to UVA. If you take your chances, I think a few schools above might bite, particularly due to your combat experience.

As a military kid (Ft. Carson, Colorado Springs, CO), I wish you the best!

Thank you for your reply - I was not wounded, and therefore I was not a recipient of the P.H., but I do have several commendations and awards for valor and of course the Combat Action Badge (As I was not infantry, I wasn't authorized to receive the CIB).

As other posters have gathered, I'm pretty skewed to the west coast, and there are numerous reasons for it, the premiere of which is that my husband is currently attending pharmacy school in Northern California, and splitting the country would be quite challenging (not that we already didn't make it through the military being married, but why go through it more than it was necessary for our country?) That said, the schools in NY and Boston would offer him a transfer directly, while the pharmacy school in Virginia will not, so UVA is out of the question. I'm more concerned about quality of life issues than straight away ranking (Hence why I am O.K. with UCD).

And thanks again for the support. Often, I think it was one of the worst decisions of my life, but also one of the best. Hopefully, in the long run, it turns out to be more "good" than "bad."

My advice to you is to be better safe than sorry. If you plan on taking the testmasters course with the expectation of improving your score, I don't see why you would risk keeping a less admirable score on your record. You already don't seem like you are in the right mindset to perform optimally on Monday. If you think about it logically, three months of further study can ONLY increase your chances of doing better, even if it's just a 2 or 3 pt increase. With your softs, a 167 will make Berkeley much more of a possibility that it is now.

You could sit for exam familiarity, but I suggest you CANCEL. Just my $0.02.
My advice to you is to be better safe than sorry. If you plan on taking the testmasters course with the expectation of improving your score, I don't see why you would risk keeping a less admirable score on your record. You already don't seem like you are in the right mindset to perform optimally on Monday. If you think about it logically, three months of further study can ONLY increase your chances of doing better, even if it's just a 2 or 3 pt increase. With your softs, a 167 will make Berkeley much more of a possibility that it is now.

You could sit for exam familiarity, but I suggest you CANCEL. Just my $0.02.

I agree with you. After a lot of rumination, I am going to take the test tomorrow and then cancel, and not risk the lower score to throw off my applications. I've been reading the LSAT Blog (What a GODSEND!) and have learned quite a lot. I honestly had NO idea about several things, including the "10 Actual" LSAC testbook I was using contained obsolete, irrelevant logic games questions (As the blog says) from 1992-1995! It's unconscionable to me that it could even still be sold, but that's beside the point. I have printed out and "calendarized" the 3 month study plan and will hit it as routinely as I exercise. Go to the gym, come home, LSAT studying. My light(er) summer load will allow me more leverage in LSAT prep, I believe (8 units vs. 16+, and no honors credits for summer).

I had no idea, prior to really delving into T.L.S, that the LSAT was so incredibly "learnable." My other experience with entrance exams (When my husband took pharmacy's PCAT, specifically) were that you either knew it, or you didn't know it, and studying is only marginally beneficial. This website should be required damn reading for anyone who is in UG with plans for law.

@ Dr. Strangelove (don't want to quote the list): Thanks for the predictions, for posterity, I printed them and will save them (yeah, I'm a pack-rat and a lister!). It'll be interested next spring when/if admissions roll in to see if they were correct. Hopefully, between now and then, my LSAT will increase to a more palatable point.

I expect you'll receive acceptances at Davis, BC, and BU at the very least. A Berkeley waitlist isn't out of the question either. I wouldnt be surprised if you landed solid acceptances at the lower T14 as well. Thanks for your service and good luck with the applications.

For Pharmacy, "wait-list" is the kiss of death, while for law, it seems to be something that schools do to "test your mettle" and see, since you're on the cusp of admissions, whether you REALLY want to go to the school or not (Hence the LOCI?). Is that more or less accurate?

Logic games is the section of the lsat that is most conducive to learning if practiced. I'd say you have a very significant chance of getting into Berkeley as it stands, two years ago they accepted a 4.0, 161 from this board, though I won't say who. Anyways, military experience is the best soft outside of URM, and I'd say you have a stellar chance of a w/l > accept or even outright acceptance from Berkeley. But, to be honest, if I were in your situation I'd retake the lsat and see if I couldn't break a 170, because that would make you a lock for significant scholarships at many T14 schools in addition to giving you a chance at HYS.

Just saying.

Thanks for your input! Everyone says you can "learn" the logic games, but maybe I was just going about it all wrong (Using the SuperPrep book and a super old LSAC book...). Since close-reading this forum (dang near every thread for 20+ pages) and soaking in the LSAT Blog, I have seriously realized I drastically underestimated my enemy. To be honest, school has always come remarkably easy for me. I have papers stacked to the ceiling of short stories published in school newspapers, A+'s plastered all over my "Works in progress" binder, and professors constantly wondering if I would be interested in studying in their group for an English Ph.D. Those are only a couple of reasons why I was flabbergasted when the LSAT wreaked its crazy havoc upon me. Again, I think this site, AND the Blog especially, ought to be required reading. I am going to suggest it to my pre-law advisor.

I am going to take the October LSAT after rigorous, metered preparation (obviously I had the wrong idea going into this the first time). I really do lose almost ALL of my points on the silly LG. If I could improve that even 50%, I'm sure a 168 would be possible.

Thanks everyone again. I feel much more prepared and grounded now than I did 2 weeks ago, that's for sure.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Took the LSAT today, and cancelled (What an ordeal it is to cancel, too)!

I'm glad I did. I definitely need more practice!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Took the LSAT today, and cancelled (What an ordeal it is to cancel, too)!

Good luck in October. :)

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:47 pm

bk1 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Took the LSAT today, and cancelled (What an ordeal it is to cancel, too)!

Good luck in October. :)

Heh, thank you.

I am hoping that these 4 classes I'm taking this summer will not require TOO much of my time.

And my needy husband can be less, erm, needy. =-/

wrichcirw

Postby wrichcirw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:I always hate it when people post on a thread like this and just say "retake" when the OP clearly says that they don't want to.

With that being said, I would really consider it based on your circumstances. If your LSAT doesn't turn out at the upper end of where you are practicing, or you don't get any bites on your apps this time around, I would seriously consider reapplying after taking a LSAT prep course.

The LSAT truly is a learnable test, and for you to even get a 5pt increase would be HUGE. I really think that taking a test would get you into the +5pt territory. I know its a tough thing to think about when you are on the cusp of going to law school, but to spend $1000 on an LSAT course could mean the difference between going to Davis and going to Berkeley. (Not knocking Davis by any means, but in career prospects its a huge distinction.)

I considered the prep courses, but was dissuaded from taking one because I was told that all they amounted to was someone going over what was already in the book that I bought, and I'm a self-starting, ambitious person who doesn't need any hand-holding whatsoever.

Is that really not the case?

In the case of career prospects, looking through the top S.F. law firms, it looks like the split between Hastings and Davis are hedged with Boalt out ahead, indeed... but there seems to be no dearth of opportunities for UCD Law grads. Interesting perspective, though, and thank you. [edited]

Just finished a Kaplan 2 month course and took the LSAT on Monday. I will be cancelling my score and retaking in October. Basically, I went in to Kaplan without reading any books, scored 150 on my diagnostic, and came out with a 163 on my best prep test. After bombing the LG section on the real LSAT (I had aced this section in my last five prep tests - 90-100%), I decided to do some real prep and buy the powerscore bibles. Kaplan is great for anyone looking to get oriented with the LSAT in a classroom environment, but I would not endorse it if you plan on getting into a top 10. ANYONE with $$$ can take a prep course, which means that you're going to get grouped with just about anybody. Some simply do not care to get more than a 160. Kaplan is a business, meaning that they do not want to scare customers with gobs of formal logic or convoluted LR/LG questions...they will refer you to their 'stratosphere' online lessons, which are IMHO a poor substitute for simple book learning. I just looked at the powerscore bibles, and after taking the Kaplan course, I feel enthusiastic in that they look like they will provide everything I found lacking in the Kaplan course. Don't get me wrong...it was great, got me oriented, and increased my score peak-to-trough 13 points...but my goal is a 170, and I think I can get it without more Kaplan at this point.

You seem well-oriented with the LSAT as it is to get a 160+, so I'd recommend buying the bibles and doing more prep tests and self study. At least, that is what I plan to do until October.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:30 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For Pharmacy, "wait-list" is the kiss of death, while for law, it seems to be something that schools do to "test your mettle" and see, since you're on the cusp of admissions, whether you REALLY want to go to the school or not (Hence the LOCI?). Is that more or less accurate?

Not exactly. It is definitely possible to get off wait lists, but the main point of them is so that schools can fill the spots that open up when cross-admits decide to withdraw. While LOCI's won't hurt, a school will generally pull off the best numbers so it can keep its medians despite losing other applicants to other schools. There is also yield protection where schools waitlist applicants that are way above their numbers because they do not expect them to attend anyways and don't want to save a seat for someone who has little intention of going to the school.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:25 am

Best of luck with the prep, and definitely post something in here when you get your Oct. score back!!!

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:17 pm

OP, glad your choice to cancel was an easy one for you and you're okay with it; the decision whether or not to cancel can be really rough on some takers. Best of luck in October.

wrichcirw wrote:Kaplan is great for anyone looking to get oriented with the LSAT in a classroom environment, but I would not endorse it if you plan on getting into a top 10. ANYONE with $$$ can take a prep course, which means that you're going to get grouped with just about anybody.
Not this. At least, not in my Advanced course.

/in before "Kaplan is a waste"/"shoulda used TestMasters"/"u r a idiot"/"have fun in the toilet." It was all that fit my schedule and I absolutely loved the course and improved significantly. I have no idea how good a traditional Kaplan course is (of course conventional wisdom says awful), but my 4 student Advanced class was excellent.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:

Best of luck with the prep, and definitely post something in here when you get your Oct. score back!!!

Thank you... I am quite nervous about being able to prep properly. It feels like there can never be too much practice. The good news is that I didn't feel at all uncomfortable IN the test center itself or with the process. It all felt, actually, quite paramilitary... what with stuff in baggies and "mean" proctors that put other people off. Seemed like another day in the Army to me.

I just bought all of the "Prep Test" 40-59, the two Bibles, and the newest 2 "Another 10..." books.

My husband thinks I'm crazy. He scored 98th percentile on the PCAT with very little studying. Trying to explain to him the difference between an aptitude test and an achievement test is difficult. Anyone else tried to do that?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:25 pm

bk1 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For Pharmacy, "wait-list" is the kiss of death, while for law, it seems to be something that schools do to "test your mettle" and see, since you're on the cusp of admissions, whether you REALLY want to go to the school or not (Hence the LOCI?). Is that more or less accurate?

Not exactly. It is definitely possible to get off wait lists, but the main point of them is so that schools can fill the spots that open up when cross-admits decide to withdraw. While LOCI's won't hurt, a school will generally pull off the best numbers so it can keep its medians despite losing other applicants to other schools. There is also yield protection where schools waitlist applicants that are way above their numbers because they do not expect them to attend anyways and don't want to save a seat for someone who has little intention of going to the school.

Ah, which explains why "Early Decision" binding agreements are the way they are... because that eliminates, to a certain extent, how much "cross-admits" they need to deal with?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Ah, which explains why "Early Decision" binding agreements are the way they are... because that eliminates, to a certain extent, how much "cross-admits" they need to deal with?

Yes. They know for sure that the person will be attending their school and are guaranteeing themselves that they will be able to secure that admit for purposes of tuition, upping their medians, and/or filling their URM spots. They know that they won't have to lure the person with scholarship money either.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 am

bk1 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Ah, which explains why "Early Decision" binding agreements are the way they are... because that eliminates, to a certain extent, how much "cross-admits" they need to deal with?

Yes. They know for sure that the person will be attending their school and are guaranteeing themselves that they will be able to secure that admit for purposes of tuition, upping their medians, and/or filling their URM spots. They know that they won't have to lure the person with scholarship money either.

Makes good sense.

It makes the simplicity and transparency of pharmacy school admissions so nice!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:05 pm

Quick update, and a question (concern):

So I took the last week and some odd days off anything related to do with the LSAT, and took a PrepTest for a baseline diagnostic this morning. My score came out to be a 166. I have no "buyer's remorse" for canceling my June LSAT score, but I sure would kick myself in the butt if that's what I'd gotten! Anyway, my question is this: I am already starting my prep routine (2 hours/day M-Thurs, break Friday, PrepTest Saturday, off Sunday) with the Bibles and some-odd 30 PrepTests + The SuperPrep book. If I improve 4 points, which seems fairly likely as my huge negatives come from LG still (a perfect score in RC, yay!) I am concerned that, in tandem with my GPA, my "hard factors" will be "too good" for UC Hastings or Davis. I've been reading the thread over on acceptances forum, and it seems as though over-qualified people are dangerous due to the need for yield protection. I am concerned, because Hastings has a really great reputation (and is well represented) in the bay area, and barring an acceptance to Stanford or (dreaaam dream dream) Boalt, which I might not be good enough for, that I'll be stuck in between a rock and a hard place; unable to get into the best schools (at, say, 168/3.98) but conversely unable to get into the middle tier schools because of their need for "yield protection."

Any words of wisdom/advice anyone can offer me?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Quick update, and a question (concern):

So I took the last week and some odd days off anything related to do with the LSAT, and took a PrepTest for a baseline diagnostic this morning. My score came out to be a 166. I have no "buyer's remorse" for canceling my June LSAT score, but I sure would kick myself in the butt if that's what I'd gotten! Anyway, my question is this: I am already starting my prep routine (2 hours/day M-Thurs, break Friday, PrepTest Saturday, off Sunday) with the Bibles and some-odd 30 PrepTests + The SuperPrep book. If I improve 4 points, which seems fairly likely as my huge negatives come from LG still (a perfect score in RC, yay!) I am concerned that, in tandem with my GPA, my "hard factors" will be "too good" for UC Hastings or Davis. I've been reading the thread over on acceptances forum, and it seems as though over-qualified people are dangerous due to the need for yield protection. I am concerned, because Hastings has a really great reputation (and is well represented) in the bay area, and barring an acceptance to Stanford or (dreaaam dream dream) Boalt, which I might not be good enough for, that I'll be stuck in between a rock and a hard place; unable to get into the best schools (at, say, 168/3.98) but conversely unable to get into the middle tier schools because of their need for "yield protection."

Apply ED to UVA

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:22 pm

flyingpanda wrote:

Apply ED to UVA

Already covered that - Not an option.

Thanks, though.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:26 pm

You should have no problem getting into BU/BC. My friend actually had the exact same stats and got into GW, although that isn't on your list. Either way, good luck.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:16 pm

If you get yield protected, I've heard that emphatic LOCI's will often get you off the waitlist fairly quickly and easily, though I have no personal experience with this.

baconpuffs

Postby baconpuffs » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:49 pm

bk1 wrote:If you get yield protected, I've heard that emphatic LOCI's will often get you off the waitlist fairly quickly and easily, though I have no personal experience with this.

I was actually wondering about this the other day. If someone gets yield protected by a school they want to attend, would that school offer scholarship money once they take him/her off the waitlist? It seems obvious that they would, though I can't help but laugh thinking of getting a scholarship after being on a school's waitlist.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:40 am

Quick question in case anyone has this on "alert for reply" and sees:

Since I am going to take the October LSAT, I assume I should pay for the Credentialing Service ASAP, and get my letters in. But is there any point where it'd be considered "too early" to do so, since I won't have a reportable LSAT score for some time?

Also, any advice on when I should submit transcripts? I will almost assuredly be receiving 4 As this summer (2 summer session 1, 2 summer session 2) and wouldn't mind those being on the transcript that the school sees right off the bat.

Any recommendations at all? Thanks in advance guys!!

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 pm

Shoot high. Military experience has the possibility of making a huge difference in applications.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:51 am

This is the first time I've seen a claim like numerous softs or good softs, etc etc, actually translate into actual good softs! Good luck OP, I think you'll be competitive, though, consider the (potentially massive) RoI on locking yourself in a room for a few months for 6 more points on the LSAT.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:This is the first time I've seen a claim like numerous softs or good softs, etc etc, actually translate into actual good softs! Good luck OP, I think you'll be competitive, though, consider the (potentially massive) RoI on locking yourself in a room for a few months for 6 more points on the LSAT.

Thank you for the reply, Rockstar! I really did think I have good softs! I'm glad someone else does agree... maybe the Ad Coms at SLS and Berkeley Law will, too!?

And you bet your butt I am studying my brains out, quite literally. While I am stopping just short of locking myself in a room, my husband knows that 3 or 4 times a week + 4 hours on Saturday, I am off limits (Although for the Prep Test simulation I usually go to a busy public place). He usually goes out and fiddles with his car or stays in another area of the apartment and I go through a slightly modified version of PithyPike's LSAT study guide.

I should add that I recently discovered one of my favorite professors is a Stanford alumnus (Ph.D.) and am asking him to write me a targeted letter! So that makes for one targeted Berkeley Law letter (from a Cal alum) and a targeted SLS letter (From a Stanford alum). In conjunction with a 170/171 (Where my recent Prep Tests place me - I did not feel any test anxiety at all on the actual LSAT this June and I am no stranger to standardized testing) from even more diligent, hard core study and practice I really do hope I have a good shot at SLS and/or Berkeley.

Thanks again everyone. =]

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Maybe it's my own non-trad status coming out, but I encourage you to make yourself known to the admissions office at your desired schools. Go in for a tour and meet with the director this summer so when your app comes in it has the chance to "jump off the page" with an associated face. It can't hurt to let hem know your intentions and desires, and based on your dynamism through these posts, I'm sure you'll come across as a diamond. Kick some ass on the LSAT, but also remember, your softs are almost "hards." while schools aren't required to give veterans' preference like the government, it speaks volumes to your leadership, work ethic, perspective, experience...etc. Let's just say I'd love to be reading your emails in January when the admissions accolades start coming in droves!

Return to “What are my chances?”