164 / 3.98 (numerous softs) - chances for T30? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Re: 164 / 3.98 (numerous softs) - chances for T30?

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:57 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Maybe it's my own non-trad status coming out, but I encourage you to make yourself known to the admissions office at your desired schools. Go in for a tour and meet with the director this summer so when your app comes in it has the chance to "jump off the page" with an associated face. It can't hurt to let hem know your intentions and desires, and based on your dynamism through these posts, I'm sure you'll come across as a diamond. Kick some ass on the LSAT, but also remember, your softs are almost "hards." while schools aren't required to give veterans' preference like the government, it speaks volumes to your leadership, work ethic, perspective, experience...etc. Let's just say I'd love to be reading your emails in January when the admissions accolades start coming in droves!
Thank you for your kind words! You have no idea how much it means to me - Honestly. This is such a crazy, stressful time (Even moreso, I think, than getting on the bird for my first time in the desert) that it is just amazing that a place like TLS exists with people like those that have taken their time to help me and write replies like yours.

Your advice about meeting with / otherwise getting to know admissions people is awesome. I am kind of concerned that, since law schools don't hold summer classes, there won't be anyone there! However, since I am applying in October (After the Oct LSAT, of course), and classes begin in August, I was planning to sit in on a couple of classes that I found interesting while browsing schools' curricula. That would give me the opportunity to discuss them in the final draft of my personal statement, right? That's how I see it, anyway.

Specifically about the admissions office, would you recommend shooting e-mails to Berkeley and Stanford via their admissions@law.berkeley.edu in order to schedule a time? I have spoken via e-mail with a professor of law from both Stanford and Berkeley but it certainly could not hurt to, as you said, connect a face to the name to the application! Do you personally have any experience with e-mailing admissions folks? At this risk of sounding really redundant, I do worry that summer, being as it is, I will be mostly out of luck until August.

Thanks again and I am looking forward to your reply!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Done it 2x and was successful 2x. Wouldn't have traded te experiences for anything a guidebook could show. Yes, it's summer, but that can be even better, just be flexible (and humble) to their timelines. I'm happy to pm you (tomorrow) the emails I sent, but, like I said, I've been successful 2x and intend to send a few more over the summer. Last Friday I was able to chat for 90 minutes wih a prof in a coffee shop ratherhan in her offce. How cool is that??

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Done it 2x and was successful 2x. Wouldn't have traded te experiences for anything a guidebook could show. Yes, it's summer, but that can be even better, just be flexible (and humble) to their timelines. I'm happy to pm you (tomorrow) the emails I sent, but, like I said, I've been successful 2x and intend to send a few more over the summer. Last Friday I was able to chat for 90 minutes wih a prof in a coffee shop ratherhan in her offce. How cool is that??
That is actually quite beyond cool, if you ask me, and would be perfect for what I want to do.

I always kind of thought of law professors as distant, held in an ivory tower of their own awesomeness, and while some probably are, I guess not all are!

If you would please PM the e-mails, at your convenience, I would be much obliged.

It isn't what you know, it is really who you know these days, and this idea sounds like an amazing opportunity. Very much looking forward to getting some ideas from your e-mails.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey everyone - Just updating this!

After going through both bibles and starting Prep Tests, I can't believe I have been doing LG without the bibles!! My very first PT after the LG bible (I did a PT after both bibles) was a 169, with only a -4 in LG! I'm so thrilled... and have any more PTs and other practice materials... woot!

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 am

If you love UVA, ED. Someone just got in UVA ED with a 4/160.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”