2.75, URM, Elite Engineering degree, 3 yrs work experience

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jgatz

2.75, URM, Elite Engineering degree, 3 yrs work experience

Postby jgatz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 pm

I wanted to hear opinions on where I could potentially get in based on my stats.
I am leaving out some details for privacy

Undergrad - Top Ivy League Engineering program 2.75 GPA
leadership in minority engineering organization
3 years work experience in public health with awards for both accomplishments and work with the office diversity board
currently testing between 160-165 on LSAT wih 4 months before the October LSAT
I am currently aiming for a 170+ which should be doable
where should I be considering applying?
LSP gave me Georgetown as a consider if I get my LSAT high enough
I really want the top 20 for obvious reasons and eventually going into patent law
what are your opinions and what are your reccomendations for improving my application between now and then.
what will be most important. I applying for Fall 2011 start
thanks

merichard87

Re: 2.75, URM, Elite Engineering degree, 3 yrs work experience

Postby merichard87 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:18 am

Get a 170+ and ED to NU. Other than that what are your geographic preferences?

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:36 am

Just out of curiosity did you graduate from Cornell or Princeton? The Ivies don't usually rank to high in engineering.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:32 am

pu_golf88 wrote:Just out of curiosity did you graduate from Cornell or Princeton? The Ivies don't usually rank to high in engineering.

I was just going to say the Ivies aren't really known as being leet engineering degrees :P

As others have said, aim for that 170. You'll likely get into Northwestern with that, but any higher will probably depend on what kind of minority.

jgatz

Postby jgatz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 am

I took a look at the accepted data for undergrads at my alma matter and it seems to be a bit below the schools medians in terms of lsat and gpa which leads to believe there is some additional component which the straight lsat/gpa does not convey. It should also be noted that according to our pre-law advisor only about 1-2 engineers apply each year which is a tiny fraction of the all pre-law applicants. I am hoping this uniquity provides some boost.

Which miniority status gets the most significant boost?

According to law school predictor, I would stand a decent shot at a lot of the top 30 with a 170+
does that seem reasonable? Given a solid LSAT score, i think GULC night ED will be my top choice
I think LSpredictor gives too much weight to the 170+ scores since they use a formula giving increasing weight whereas most law schools will look at them more similarly since statistically they are very difficult to distinguish and the standard error of the testing instrument is most likely higher at the extremes of the dataset.

geographically I would consider NY, DC, Boston, Chicago in that order, however I would go to WUSTL if not accepted anywhere better in the larger legal markets. To be honest, I will probably go to the best school I can get accepted to.
I would say California, but I dont think I have a very good shot at the "splitter unfriendly" UCal system.
Other than that maybe a Florida school and university of Hawaii just because a regional degree would atleast lock me into a region with pleasant weather.

I am hoping that my strong engineering background, minority program involvement, and work experience would give me a boost over your average URM splitter if such a thing exists.
Last edited by jgatz on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbw

Postby mbw » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 am

jgatz wrote:Cornell Engineering

I took a look at the accepted data for cornell undergrads as well and it seems to be a bit below the schools medians in terms of lsat and gpa which leads to believe there is some additional component which the straight lsat/gpa does not convey. It should also be noted that according to our pre-law advisor only about 1-2 engineers apply each year which is a tiny fraction of the all pre-law applicants

Which miniority status gets the most significant boost?

AA male, NA/IA (both), AA female, Mexican-American/PR (both), all other Latino. In that general order.

However, if you're an engineer and female, you might get a small boost for that.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I am going to be an AA female double engineering splitter with a 170 LSAT(hopefully higher with he the LSAT re-take) and pretty nice softs so I definitely feel your confusion but my plan is to apply to schools according my LSAT and not my GPA. So if you hit 170 I would apply to T25 - T30 and up just to give yourself some wiggle room.

The T14 supposedly has a 3.0 cutoff though so that might hurt. ED to NW if you hit 170+.

Goodluck.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:48 pm

No Ivy engineering is elite. Ivy engineering is TTT, unless its Cornell, but even then there are many better public schools.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:49 pm

merichard87 wrote:Get a 170+ and ED to NU. Other than that what are your geographic preferences?

Don't ED if you get 170. It won't be necessary.

NR, tls's token Indian moderator, got into NU with similar numbers.

mbw

Postby mbw » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:09 pm

merichard87 wrote:I am going to be an AA female double engineering splitter with a 170 LSAT(hopefully higher with he the LSAT re-take) and pretty nice softs so I definitely feel your confusion but my plan is to apply to schools according my LSAT and not my GPA. So if you hit 170 I would apply to T25 - T30 and up just to give yourself some wiggle room.

The T14 supposedly has a 3.0 cutoff though so that might hurt.

Goodluck.

Not always true (see my numbers.) It doesn't hurt to apply, especially if you have an upward trend and can give some explanation for earlier poor grades.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:30 pm

mbw wrote:
merichard87 wrote:I am going to be an AA female double engineering splitter with a 170 LSAT(hopefully higher with he the LSAT re-take) and pretty nice softs so I definitely feel your confusion but my plan is to apply to schools according my LSAT and not my GPA. So if you hit 170 I would apply to T25 - T30 and up just to give yourself some wiggle room.

The T14 supposedly has a 3.0 cutoff though so that might hurt.

Goodluck.

Not always true (see my numbers.) It doesn't hurt to apply, especially if you have an upward trend and can give some explanation for earlier poor grades.

Damn girl. U got Cornell. I want to be you when I grow up lol

Return to “What are my chances?”