LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SHANbangs
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am

LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby SHANbangs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:48 pm

So I have been freaking out for an eternity over my D+ in first year calc, which brings my GPA down to a 3.23. However, I've read on LSDAS that they only count grades for courses that have received credit. No credit, grade does not count. My school (University of Toronto, for anybody who is familiar with its grading system) does not count my calc course as a credit because I had 2.5 AP credits in first year. Anyways, if my data is correct, I have three courses in total that received no credit and are thus not going to be factored into the LSDAS gpa, and the exclusion of those three courses brings my LSDAS GPA to a 3.44. This is just a long-winded question of asking: does LSDAS exclude from their calculations grades from courses that were not used for credit towards your degree? Am I right in my interpretation? Somebody please confirm this for me because it would make my day!!!

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:51 pm

I took a math class as a freshman, jacked around, and got a C. I took it again my next semester and made an A. I just looked at my LSAC transcript and there is no record or a C being counted toward my GPA. I think you might be right.

User avatar
smov_operator
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby smov_operator » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:53 pm

LSDAS will factor them in your gpa calculation if:

1) the course grades show up on your transcripts, and

2)you would have received credit for the courses if you had passed them.

Is that what you're asking?

SHANbangs
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby SHANbangs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm

This from the LSDAS website. Grades withdrawn from conversion:

"Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the academic summary, even if the issuing institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA."

Basically, for it to be considered in the LSDAS GPA, it is required that the course 1) have a grade and 2) be assigned credit if passed. If ONE of the two are not met, contrapositive for the win, and we get NOT considered in the LSDAS GPA. I got a D+ in calc, so I met one of the necessary conditions, but the calc course is assigned no credit by my school despite the fact that I passed, so I don't meet the other condition. Therefore, the calc grade is NOT factored into LSDAS GPA.

I apologize for the anal retentiveness, but I REALLY, REALLY want to make sure this is correct, because it is such a game changer (basically going from 19-30 to a legitimate shot at Cornell and Georgetown).

BTW, I am e-mailing LSDAS as we speak, but I was just hoping someone would have an answer on the quick.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby jeremydc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:35 pm

This could help me, I failed a class my 2nd semester and retook it the next semester and got an A. Would that mean the first F isnt counted?


If that is true, my gpa could be raised :P

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby im_blue » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 am

SHANbangs wrote:does LSDAS exclude from their calculations grades from courses that were not used for credit towards your degree? Am I right in my interpretation? Somebody please confirm this for me because it would make my day!!!

I suspect you're confusing "credit on transcript" with "credit toward graduation." When you say U of T does not give credit for your D+ calc course, that can mean either:
1) Your D+ and number of credits appear on the transcript, but U of T ignores it because it doesn't count for graduation. In this case, LSDAS will count it.
2) Your D+ appears on the transcript, but for 0 credits. In this case, LSDAS won't count it.

Take a look at your official transcript and see if it says 0 credits or something else next to that D+. LSDAS does not care if your classes/grades count for graduation credit - as long as you got nonzero credits of any kind showing on the transcript, they will count.

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby jms1987 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 pm

I had one F a couple semesters ago from a pass/fail math class. I screwed on the final (passed EVERYTHING ELSE) and in turn they failed me. I took it again next semester and got a C+ (sucky, but still passed) Will the F be counted towards my final LSDAS GPA?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:22 pm

jeremydc wrote:This could help me, I failed a class my 2nd semester and retook it the next semester and got an A. Would that mean the first F isnt counted?


If that is true, my gpa could be raised :P


Your LSDAS GPA will reflect both grades, unless the original was totally wiped from the transcript.


jms1987 wrote:I had one F a couple semesters ago from a pass/fail math class. I screwed on the final (passed EVERYTHING ELSE) and in turn they failed me. I took it again next semester and got a C+ (sucky, but still passed) Will the F be counted towards my final LSDAS GPA?


Your LSDAS GPA will reflect both grades, unless the original was totally wiped from the transcript.

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby jms1987 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
jeremydc wrote:This could help me, I failed a class my 2nd semester and retook it the next semester and got an A. Would that mean the first F isnt counted?


If that is true, my gpa could be raised :P


Your LSDAS GPA will reflect both grades, unless the original was totally wiped from the transcript.


jms1987 wrote:I had one F a couple semesters ago from a pass/fail math class. I screwed on the final (passed EVERYTHING ELSE) and in turn they failed me. I took it again next semester and got a C+ (sucky, but still passed) Will the F be counted towards my final LSDAS GPA?


Your LSDAS GPA will reflect both grades, unless the original was totally wiped from the transcript.


Thats what I figured. :| Oh well.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Someone posted this in another thread and I found it really helpful... you can look up your school and see how LSAC interprets the grades on your transcript.

--LinkRemoved--

SHANbangs
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am

Re: LSDAS Saving My Ass?

Postby SHANbangs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Hmmm, well there's an EXT next to my D+, which = "extra course, not for credit towards degree". I checked on the link above. From 1999 it says that grades omitted by both school and LSDAS includes courses with the code EX and XTR. EX= exempted, XTR=extra course not for credit. I'm guessing my EXT falls in the latter and that U of T changed the XTR code to EXT after 1999. Anyways, I will call LSDAS some time in the future because their e-mail response was dismissive and unhelpful. I'm still crossing my fingers, though for a moment there I was in serious FML mode.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malysh, trooper10538 and 3 guests