What would you do??? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BenFLaw22

New

What would you do???

Post by BenFLaw22 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Giving the current economic environment, (more specifically low to average demand for lawyers). If you had the GPA and LSAT score to get into a top 15 law school with little to no scholarship, meaning you will be in some serious debt after graduation...

- Would you go to the top 15 school knowing you will be in serious debt after graduation and knowing before law school that in order to get a substantial starting salary, you would have to finish in the top 3rd of your class (very tough at top schools due to competition)

OR

- Would you go to a lesser school, top 20-60 on a substantial scholarship, (little to NO debt upon gradation) also knowing that the you will probably start at a lower salary even if you finish in top 3rd of class

Additional comments: Thank you for your feedback

megaTTTron

Silver

Re: What would you do???

Post by megaTTTron » Fri May 28, 2010 12:21 pm

BenFLaw22 wrote:Giving the current economic environment, (more specifically low to average demand for lawyers). If you had the GPA and LSAT score to get into a top 15 law school with little to no scholarship, meaning you will be in some serious debt after graduation...

- Would you go to the top 15 school knowing you will be in serious debt after graduation and knowing before law school that in order to get a substantial starting salary, you would have to finish in the top 3rd of your class (very tough at top schools due to competition)

OR

- Would you go to a lesser school, top 20-60 on a substantial scholarship, (little to NO debt upon gradation) also knowing that the you will probably start at a lower salary even if you finish in top 3rd of class

Additional comments: Thank you for your feedback
depends on the t15 and depends on the t20-60.

then it depends on exactly how much scholarship money.

there is no hard and fast answer.

BenFLaw22

New

Post by BenFLaw22 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Well then create an example...and elaborate...

Thank you again

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:15 pm

If you really want to be a lawyer option B.

Which school are we talking about, GULC, Texas, UCLA, USC or Vandy.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

You really need to just list the schools and the terms (i.e. 1L gpa strings) of the scholarship at the lower ranked one if you want any kind of meaningful advice.

If you don't want to go into debt, and a high salary is mandatory no matter what, then I would suggest that you forget about law school altogether.
Last edited by yabbadabbado on Fri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

--ImageRemoved--

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri May 28, 2010 3:28 pm

yabbadabbado wrote:You really need to just list the schools and the terms (i.e. 1L gpa strings) of the scholarship at the lower ranked one if you want any kind of meaningful advice.

If you don't want to go into debt, and a high salary is mandatory no matter what, then I would suggest that you forget about law school altogether.

No no no. Yabba, listen -- he wants us to come on his thread, create a bunch of examples and elaborate all the possible options for him. Why would he give us the specifics, that would make toooooo much sense.

BenFLaw22

New

Post by BenFLaw22 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Love the klondike bar joke, haha

Figured I would see if somebody has had to make a similar decision...I want to apologize if I did not satisfy your thread requirements.

Thank you for your sarcasm and your time...

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri May 28, 2010 3:44 pm

BenFLaw22 wrote:Love the klondike bar joke, haha

Figured I would see if somebody has had to make a similar decision...I want to apologize if I did not satisfy your thread requirements.

Thank you for your sarcasm and your time...

Look . . . bro. It's just a super generalized question that depends upon a TON of other factors. The answer would depends on soooo many things! For me to make up a situation would help no body. If you're having an actual dilemma put it out there and you'll get more responses. Also make a poll, we LOVE polls.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but it was toooo easy. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArthurEdens

New

Post by ArthurEdens » Fri May 28, 2010 3:51 pm

OP, don't pay sticker unless HYS. Total cost of attendance would be $200k+.

Your second option was T20-T60. This is a huge range. I would suggest T20-T30 with half scholarship or better without any strings attached (other than not failing out of school, of course).

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 pm

JordynAsh wrote:--ImageRemoved--

http://jb5353.tripod.com/familyguy/klondike.wav

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri May 28, 2010 4:10 pm

+1 to Mega. OP, you will get far more meaningful responses if you actually

Yes, TONS of people take option B in this hypothetical situation. This is a classic question on TLS: Go to the best school or go to the cheapest school, or compromise between those two factors? But in order to determine what is actually right for you, you need to give TLS some basic info. We need to know:

-What the schools are
-What your numbers are
-What your goals are
-How big the scholarships are
-What your general background is

Stop worrying so much about anonymity. There should no fear of repercussions... you are anonymous on here. Hell, I'm not even anonymous! Probably 30 or so people next fall will know who I am on TLS, and one of the deans at WUSTL knows my handle on here. I am not always PC on TLS, and it hasn't affected a thing. Just be respectful and use common sense about what you say, and you'll be fine.

If you don't want to provide that info, then you should just leave. No one will respond to you, and if they do, the information will likely be useless.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”