Does this give me any cushion for the lsat score

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ryleez

Does this give me any cushion for the lsat score

Postby ryleez » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I am double majoring in Economics and English and have a cumulative GPA a little higher than a 3.9. I am taking the lsat on the 7th of June, and needless to say I'm stressing it. What is the lowest score that I could receive on the lsat and still have a chance at getting into Emory or the University of AL? Also, does playing varsity college football/English Dept. writing tutor and being in honor societies like Phi Kappa Phi help significantly when put into the application?
Any feedback would be much appreciated

Tanicius

Re: Does this give me any cushion for the lsat score

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 27, 2010 8:49 pm

http://emory.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

For Emory, you will need a 166 almost no matter what GPA you have, but the good news is that a 166 pretty much guarantees you admission.

http://alabama.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

For Alabama, you're probably safe at a 164, and definitely safe at a 165.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 pm

ryleez wrote: Also, does playing varsity college football/English Dept. writing tutor and being in honor societies like Phi Kappa Phi help significantly when put into the application?

Most schools will not give much weight weight to your softs. So, no, it will not help much.

Postby 005618502 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Are you kidding me. I say you have a good shot with a 160 on the LSAT for those schools. Especially because you played football. (where do you play football is the real question. Are we talking Alabama/Texas, University of Arizona, or crum state university). If you play for a D1 school that is known it will greatly help you because it will set you apart from 99% of other applicants. The english tutor thing, not so much. But a 160 3.9 will get you close. get a 162 on your LSAT i guarantee you get into both schools. Use the law school predictor also. It doesnt take into account softs, but it pretty helpful.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 pm

jt1341 wrote:Are you kidding me. I say you have a good shot with a 160 on the LSAT for those schools. Especially because you played football. (where do you play football is the real question. Are we talking Alabama/Texas, University of Arizona, or crum state university). If you play for a D1 school that is known it will greatly help you because it will set you apart from 99% of other applicants. The english tutor thing, not so much. But a 160 3.9 will get you close. get a 162 on your LSAT i guarantee you get into both schools. Use the law school predictor also. It doesnt take into account softs, but it pretty helpful.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Dude, look at the graph. Emory let in three people who are not URM's and have LSAT scores under 166. I don't know as much about Alabama, but I have visited Emory and talked with the adcomms there, and they seemed like some of the most holistic folks out there... and still, that LSAT cutoff is one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen. Last year the cutoff was exactly 165, and this year it's a point higher. It is very clear they are attempting to boost their LSAT median at all costs.

[Edit] I realize this whole argument may not seem like the most constructive point of contention out there, but just take it for what it's worth: Emory is a good school, so you'll need a good LSAT to boot. Work hard, and work smart, and you can make it happen.

Postby 005618502 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:49 am

what graph are you talking about. Im hoping your smart enough to not follow a self reporting site such as Law School Numbers

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 am

jt1341 wrote:what graph are you talking about. Im hoping your smart enough to not follow a self reporting site such as Law School Numbers

Yea, he'd be better served by using lawschoolpredictor which is totally not based upon self reporting numbers.... :roll:

Law School Predictor is of far greater use to applicants when applicants can gauge the accuracy of LSP predictions. These results are based off of more than 33,500 Law School Numbers-listed law school admission decisions from the 2008-09 cycle for all ABA schools listed on both LSN and LSP. The version of LSP tested was Version 2.4. A big thanks goes out to TLS forum member CyLaw for compiling the data from LSN; I couldn’t have done it without CyLaw.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri May 28, 2010 3:21 am

jt1341 wrote:what graph are you talking about. Im hoping your smart enough to not follow a self reporting site such as Law School Numbers

Are you really proposing that the giant straight vertical line between green and yellow (scores of 166 and 165) on Emory's graph is almost certainly by accident due to the fact that the data is self reported? I am honest when I ask this: What could possibly account for such a skewed sample of data?

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri May 28, 2010 3:51 am

Ragged wrote:

Yea, he'd be better served by using lawschoolpredictor which is totally not based upon self reporting numbers.... :roll:

Law School Predictor is of far greater use to applicants when applicants can gauge the accuracy of LSP predictions. These results are based off of more than 33,500 Law School Numbers-listed law school admission decisions from the 2008-09 cycle for all ABA schools listed on both LSN and LSP. The version of LSP tested was Version 2.4. A big thanks goes out to TLS forum member CyLaw for compiling the data from LSN; I couldn’t have done it without CyLaw.

Crushed.

Postby 005618502 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 am

haha the fact is that it is all self reporting. I have a friend going to Emory (unless she gets off list for UT) and she had a 3.8 161. So i know for a fact there is no "cut off" this thread is useless because the OP has not responded and i dont think they care anymore. All i was getting at it that if he played D1 football at a school recognized for football it would help because they want interesting people like that who stand out (as long as they have numbers as well). So yes i would say 3.9 D1 football, kickass resume, and a 160-162 your doin well for Emory and def Alabama (which is was over ranked anyways)

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri May 28, 2010 4:49 am

Ignore the self-reported statistics of LSN and have an anecdote about my friend instead.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:53 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Ignore the self-reported statistics of LSN and have an anecdote about my friend instead.

+1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri May 28, 2010 9:05 am

jt1341 wrote:haha the fact is that it is all self reporting. I have a friend going to Emory (unless she gets off list for UT) and she had a 3.8 161. So i know for a fact there is no "cut off" this thread is useless because the OP has not responded and i dont think they care anymore. All i was getting at it that if he played D1 football at a school recognized for football it would help because they want interesting people like that who stand out (as long as they have numbers as well). So yes i would say 3.9 D1 football, kickass resume, and a 160-162 your doin well for Emory and def Alabama (which is was over ranked anyways)

I think you got hit in the head a few too many times playing football.

luckycurl84

Postby luckycurl84 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:29 am

kalvano wrote:
jt1341 wrote:haha the fact is that it is all self reporting. I have a friend going to Emory (unless she gets off list for UT) and she had a 3.8 161. So i know for a fact there is no "cut off" this thread is useless because the OP has not responded and i dont think they care anymore. All i was getting at it that if he played D1 football at a school recognized for football it would help because they want interesting people like that who stand out (as long as they have numbers as well). So yes i would say 3.9 D1 football, kickass resume, and a 160-162 your doin well for Emory and def Alabama (which is was over ranked anyways)

I think you got hit in the head a few too many times playing football.

+1 Emory doesn't give two shits about football. :roll: They don't have a team. Alabama might care, but not enough to make up for a below median LSAT.

Is your 'friend' a URM perchance?

ryleez

Postby ryleez » Fri May 28, 2010 7:04 pm

It seems as though I have started a battle royale haha. Naw it was a 1AA school that had a great program, but not comparable to Bama. I'm pretty new to the whole law school deal because I never had much time to do research while playing. I appreciate the optimism I got from a few of you, but I believe that general consensus tells me that I need a solid lsat score. Thanks

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri May 28, 2010 9:53 pm

ryleez wrote:It seems as though I have started a battle royale haha. Naw it was a 1AA school that had a great program, but not comparable to Bama. I'm pretty new to the whole law school deal because I never had much time to do research while playing. I appreciate the optimism I got from a few of you, but I believe that general consensus tells me that I need a solid lsat score. Thanks

Right. There's no sense shooting for something less than a median score at any rate.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri May 28, 2010 9:59 pm

I heard Saban got into U of A Law with a 158, so you know that it can be done.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 pm

jt1341 wrote:If you play for a D1 school that is known it will greatly help you because it will set you apart from 99% of other applicants...The english tutor thing, not so much.

So...let me get this straight...

You're claiming that law schools, institutions which specialize in teaching people to sift through incredible amounts of dense, complicated reading, are going to look more favorably upon throwing a ball around than actual experience working with writing and language?

Not everyone holds ball-fondling to such a high degree as you do.

inmans

Postby inmans » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:40 pm

I was a D1 athlete as well... Schools definitely look favorably upon this (THEY KNOW that it is a huge commitment, and that it is evidence of a great amount of discipline, work ethic, leadership, teamwork, etc)... Interviews with adcomms confirm that participation in athletics is a strong "soft factor". To say that that admissions would not give "two shits" about your having been a student athlete is BS.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm

inmans wrote:I was a D1 athlete as well... Schools definitely look favorably upon this (THEY KNOW that it is a huge commitment, and that it is evidence of a great amount of discipline, work ethic, leadership, teamwork, etc)... Interviews with adcomms confirm that participation in athletics is a strong "soft factor". To say that that admissions would not give "two shits" about your having been a student athlete is BS.

Thanks for misquoting me.

Do you enjoy putting words in other peoples' mouths?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:42 pm

mb88 wrote:Not everyone holds ball-fondling to such a high degree as you do.

Pure win.

scgoaliface32

Postby scgoaliface32 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I think the extent to which playing a varsity sport helps depends on if you can make it part of a great personal statement and maybe even a theme in your applications/LORs/"Why X School" essays. It won't help as much as a mid-high 160s+ LSAT score but it could be a decent soft if it makes you stand out in the eyes of the adcomm. I did D1 track but I couldn't spin it into a PS that was stronger than the one I ended up using so it ended up being just another soft. It depends on what you do with it, really. Good luck!

Postby 005618502 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm

mb88 wrote:
jt1341 wrote:If you play for a D1 school that is known it will greatly help you because it will set you apart from 99% of other applicants...The english tutor thing, not so much.

So...let me get this straight...

You're claiming that law schools, institutions which specialize in teaching people to sift through incredible amounts of dense, complicated reading, are going to look more favorably upon throwing a ball around than actual experience working with writing and language?

Not everyone holds ball-fondling to such a high degree as you do.

Wow you are retarded. They dont care about you playing football because you are a good football player. They care about it because they can put it into their bullshit diversity statistics. And yes it does greatly set you apart from the vast majority of applicants.

So yes it would help you to gain an edge on law school admissions. Because obviously he wasnt just sitting in the library studying the whole time he was in undergrad. He had other HUGE time concerns that show he can take on many challenges at once.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm

jt1341 wrote:Wow you are retarded. They dont care about you playing football because you are a good football player. They care about it because they can put it into their bullshit diversity statistics. And yes it does greatly set you apart from the vast majority of applicants.

So yes it would help you to gain an edge on law school admissions. Because obviously he wasnt just sitting in the library studying the whole time he was in undergrad. He had other HUGE time concerns that show he can take on many challenges at once.

This is how you think the world should work. This is not how the world actually works. HTH

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:34 pm

According to Emory's LSAC profile you have a good possibility as low as 160 and still a possibility all the way down to 150. I am sure there may only be 3-5 people in the 150-159 range, but still a possibility.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... AC5187.pdf

Return to “What are my chances?”