T14 with no soft factors?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ghostgirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:40 pm

T14 with no soft factors?

Postby ghostgirl » Mon May 24, 2010 6:03 pm

I have a 4.0 GPA from a not-so-great state university. According to the practice LSATs I have taken, I am looking at a score of 176-180. However, I have done almost nothing---no extracurriculars, no volunteer work. I work for my dad in our family business and help take care of my mother who has serious health problems, which takes up the majority of my free time. I have done a little bit of tutoring and some freelance proofreading and editing for grad students, but nothing substantial.

My question is, how much does a T14 school care about things apart from GPA and LSAT score? If I have a 4.0/178 will I have a realistic chance at any (or more than one) T14 schools?

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby MURPH » Mon May 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Congrats, enjoy Harvard.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 pm

MURPH wrote:Congrats, enjoy [strike]Harvard.[/strike] Yale

people want what
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby people want what » Mon May 24, 2010 6:12 pm

ghostgirl wrote:I have a 4.0 GPA from a not-so-great state university. According to the practice LSATs I have taken, I am looking at a score of 176-180. However, I have done almost nothing---no extracurriculars, no volunteer work. I work for my dad in our family business and help take care of my mother who has serious health problems, which takes up the majority of my free time. I have done a little bit of tutoring and some freelance proofreading and editing for grad students, but nothing substantial.

My question is, how much does a T14 school care about things apart from GPA and LSAT score? If I have a 4.0/178 will I have a realistic chance at any (or more than one) T14 schools?



straaaaaight fuck softs.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon May 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Oversimplified:

Yale, Stanford, UCB care about softs

Every other T14 school whores for numbers.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby Grizz » Mon May 24, 2010 6:15 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Oversimplified:

Yale, Stanford, UCB care about softs

Every other T14 school whores for numbers.


This.

ghostgirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby ghostgirl » Mon May 24, 2010 6:34 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Oversimplified:

Yale, Stanford, UCB care about softs

Every other T14 school whores for numbers.


Thanks for the feedback. This is sort of what I figured. Thankfully, I don't care for Stanford or Berkeley and I had assumed Yale was out of my reach anyway.

I wish more schools published their actual number of applications/admissions for each GPA/LSAT bracket. It looks like Yale and Duke are the only ones that do.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby jks289 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm

You would be silly to exclude any school with those numbers. HYS is a crapshoot with any numbers (H less so) but you'd have as good a shot as anyone. If you cover the T10 you'd see a full ride somewhere, assuming you actually pull at 176+ on the real LSAT. Good luck!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Also you can stretch anything into a good story. Help your dad with business? You comanage a small business.

I don't know what the Yale app, but most apps, you just kind of list things you did. Your Personal Statement is where you shine. Just focus on things you are strong in. Nobody has to know you didn't do much in college.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby Moxie » Mon May 24, 2010 6:46 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Oversimplified:

Yale, Stanford, UCB care about softs

Every other T14 school whores for numbers.


This. Now focus on getting a LSAT score within that range.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby Grizz » Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Also you can stretch anything into a good story. Help your dad with business? You comanage a small business.

I don't know what the Yale app, but most apps, you just kind of list things you did. Your Personal Statement is where you shine. Just focus on things you are strong in. Nobody has to know you didn't do much in college.


Agreed. It's not like you don't have any softs. Nothing wrong with tutoring and copy editing. That's pretty cool actually. It sounds cooler than "waitress at Chili's."

User avatar
Remnantofisrael
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby Remnantofisrael » Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 pm

I agree with the idea that you should still apply to yale. Note the importance/effect of taking care of your mother in your PS.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: T14 with no soft factors?

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:04 pm

There is a difference between having no softs and not having great softs. You may not have great softs, but you don't have "no softs," like you claim. As long as you have SOMETHING to put on your resume and application to make it look like you've done something in your life other than go to school, you should be in at most T14 schools with those numbers.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mcmand and 5 guests