3.39/152 Non-trad, URM, UCONN, help please! Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sergissimo

New

3.39/152 Non-trad, URM, UCONN, help please!

Post by sergissimo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:15 pm

I have scored around 152 on practice tests, and wanted to get any feedback you can give me. I am only applying to a couple of schools and UConn is my top choice, for its ranking and low in-state tuition (I can't relocate... wife, kids, etc.)
I have a ton of softs including 7 years of volunteer community service, missionary trips, promoted several benefit events, speak english, portuguese, and spanish. Grew up in Brazil and have had a lot of hardship to be able to get through college. (Father almost died in my sophomore year and did not qualify for any loans or financial aid with my student visa, having to work full-time throughout college) I am a US citizen now.
I called UConn and they told me I would be considered URM, but I would not assume that my URM status would be as good as PR, AA, or Mexican. They said I would fall under latino/hispanic.
I have been working as a family therapist/counselor for non-profit organizations for the past 7 years. I have taken some graduate classes but never got a graduate degree.
I am a Connecticut resident and I would be applying to the part-time program.

Any chances with this score?
Thanks in advance!

KMaine

Silver

Re: 3.39/152 Non-trad, URM, UCONN, help please!

Post by KMaine » Sun May 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Law school predictor has you at 17% with your current grades. If you could find a way to bring your LSAT to 160, you increase your chances to 54%. With your experience and quasi-URM status, you may be likely to be one of the chosen. If you really want UCONN, I would go back and study that LSAT. I am a father too, and I was able to get my score up with only taking 1 practice section most days (2-3 on weekend days). Good luck.

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Sun May 23, 2010 8:22 pm

We have similar softs, except I am AA, 158 / 3.8 - got accepted to most of the schools I applied to, and got a full scholarship at a school ranked just above UCONN. My best advise would be to raise your LSAT score as much as possible to give yourself the best shot - your URM (quasi though it may be), and your expereinece will definately work in your favor. I know I was offered many scholarships that other AAs with similar grades to mine were nto offered. My many years of work/volunteer experience was helpful, I presume. I'm also married with a 19 month old son, and did a masters in clicnical psyshoclogy, so have to therapy experience as well.

I studied for the LSAT in less than 5 weeks, and though a 154 isnt the best score in teh world, it was good enought to get me where I want to go ....You can do it, work your butt off and raise your score ... it can help you get a near-free education :)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 am

melyanair wrote:I am AA, 158 / 3.8
melyanair wrote:I studied for the LSAT in less than 5 weeks, and though a 154 isnt the best score in teh world,

:?:

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks Kalvano .. I seriously may need a professional proofreader even for my TSL posts :) ... my stats are actually 154/3.8 ... I typed 158 by accident. Thanks for pointing that out.

sergissimo

New

Post by sergissimo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, my June LSAT score came in and I was able to increase it to 158! I'm pretty happy since the highest score I was able to get on a PT was a 159. What do you all think are my chances now?

I am planning to apply in september... and in case you think I am a shoe in, should I retake in order to bargain for some scholarship money? If so, should I take the Sept LSAT or the Dec. one?

Thanks for the response guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”