GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT! UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
namicnivad

GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT! UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES!

Postby namicnivad » Sat May 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I am currently finishing my junior year at a CUNY college (civil engineering) and I plan on transferring to a private school. When I transfer though, the new school will be taking away a year's worth of credits and thus I will be starting my junior year all over due to credits (in other words I will complete 64 credits in my new school to earn my BS in Civil). Here is the problem though. Since I recently found out that LSAC counts all credits, I will have 93 credits (with a 3.1 GPA overall) and even if I 3.7(64 credits), my GPA will be only 3.3 in the end. I score about a 170-174 on my diagnostics and thus let's say that is what I'll receive on the test for real(lets just say 172-ish).

I would like to be competing (aka attending) for schools in the 4-6 range with Penn and Northwestern as well (live in NYC so that's my market) and I'm afraid the GPA thing will scar me badly and an addendum has been done by many previous applicants in a similar position and so, reviewers at these schools could care less about my argument. I have won a scholarship from the american society of civil engineers, I represented my school at conferences, I'm a LEED AP consultant, LOR'S from former Navy Seal(did voluntary training with Seals) and Senior Traffic Engineer. A paid internship for 1 year and I'll be a EIT(engineer in training certified by application time). Let's say a good-great essay (diving experience that less than 1 percent of the world has witnessed and then I transition to wanting to be a public lawyer) to complete the picture.

Any observations/help is much appreciated and thus I will be looking for some guidance from all you fellow TLS members.
Last edited by namicnivad on Sat May 22, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Re: GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT! HONEST TRUTH WITH ADVICE WELCOME!

Postby romothesavior » Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Two years off with work experience + 170 or higher LSAT + Early Decision = Northwestern Acceptance

Grizz

Re: GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT! HONEST TRUTH WITH ADVICE WELCOME!

Postby Grizz » Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Just be an engineer.

Haribo

Re: GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT! UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES!

Postby Haribo » Sat May 22, 2010 3:36 pm

namicnivad wrote: Let's say a good-great essay (diving experience that less than 1 percent of the world has witnessed and then I transition to wanting to be a public lawyer) to complete the picture.

A diving experience that less than 1 percent of the world has witnessed? Isn't that basically any diving experience? Assuming you mean scuba diving.

Anyway to answer your question, yes, your 3.3 will be a problem at schools ranked 4-6. To maximize your application potential you should bring that GPA up as much as you can, and maybe aim for some real-world work experience before applying.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Why are you transferring to a private school? I hope you aren't paying for it.

namicnivad

Postby namicnivad » Sat May 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Yes, actually any diving experience is already an experience that only 2 percent of the world experiences in their lifetime. I dived in south africa with great white sharks without a cage in the wild as well as 1700' below surface level in a one of a kind submersible to view the whale shark in person.

Yes, I am also paying for the private school(50k total cost) because the school produces winners, makes employment in the industry much easier due to alumni (my professors in CUNY rec. I go there to do the BS and many go onto Stanford etc. from this school so it does something right).

Unfortunately, 3.3 is as high as its going to go but I'm hoping for a holistic approach by any admissions counsel that looks for a well rounded individual rather than a few digits.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:06 pm

namicnivad wrote:Yes, actually any diving experience is already an experience that only 2 percent of the world experiences in their lifetime. I dived in south africa with great white sharks without a cage in the wild as well as 1700' below surface level in a one of a kind submersible to view the whale shark in person.

Yes, I am also paying for the private school(50k total cost) because the school produces winners, makes employment in the industry much easier due to alumni (my professors in CUNY rec. I go there to do the BS and many go onto Stanford etc. from this school so it does something right).

Unfortunately, 3.3 is as high as its going to go but I'm hoping for a holistic approach by any admissions counsel that looks for a well rounded individual rather than a few digits.

You're transferring to a private school just to go to law schools that could care less about where your undergrad was?

Stay an extra year at undergrad without graduating and just take a bunch of easy courses you can get an A in.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 pm

namicnivad wrote:Yes, actually any diving experience is already an experience that only 2 percent of the world experiences in their lifetime. I dived in south africa with great white sharks without a cage in the wild as well as 1700' below surface level in a one of a kind submersible to view the whale shark in person.

Are you going into law or engineering? If you are going into engineering, then yes transfer. For law it doesn't matter, at all.

Get a 172+ and ED to Penn.

Why do you think going on vacation will matter in law school. Yes swimming with sharks is cool, but this is law school admissions, not convincing a sorority girl to blow you.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Are you going into law or engineering? If you are going into engineering, then yes transfer. For law it doesn't matter, at all.

Get a 172+ and ED to Penn.

Why do you think going on vacation will matter in law school. Yes swimming with sharks is cool, but this is law school admissions, not convincing a sorority girl to blow you.

However, keep that story around for just such an occasion DURING law school.

namicnivad

Postby namicnivad » Sat May 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Getting blown by a girl is not an issue I have, getting blown by the admissions committee is something that's not cool lol. It wasn't vacation btw, it was official research (vacation for me though because I love it).

I have interest in engineering and I wish to work a year of two in the field so its all relevant for an amount of time. Don't know whether to go into patent law or public sector because I just don't know enough to warrant a decision. Why law over engineering? The shallow answer is that engineers start at 60k, max out at 160k and the work is really interesting, rewarding and not 70 hours a week for sure.

Law is interesting, starts at 160k (leaving afta a couple years in biglaw), and I really don't know why I really want it other than financial reasons. Prestige I can care less about because it doesn't pay bills but idk, surveying options. Maybe construction law is where my heart is at!?
Last edited by namicnivad on Sat May 22, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 22, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm really not sure why you think this makes for a good personal statement? The admissions committee doesn't care that you went on vacation somewhere cool that no one else has been; they want something that shows you're a leader, you'll help people, you have some kind of connection that's rare and valuable (presidents kid), etc. Swimming with great white sharks doesn't in any way show maturity, or your ability to succeed in law school (or beyond). Rethink this essay.

EDIT: i posted this before you gave your response saying it was official research. Still, a lot of this statement applies.

namicnivad wrote:Yes, I am also paying for the private school(50k total cost) because the school produces winners, makes employment in the industry much easier due to alumni (my professors in CUNY rec. I go there to do the BS and many go onto Stanford etc. from this school so it does something right).

Someone else I think said this but -- where you go to undergrad matters literally like 1% on your application when applying to law school. If you're gunna be an engineer, then transfer. If not, you're wasting money and time.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Also prestige isn't nearly as important in engineering. It sounds like you already have good research and good internships.

Plus what kind of decent engineering school is going to take a 3.1 transfer?

namicnivad

Postby namicnivad » Sat May 22, 2010 4:24 pm

My essay would start off with, amazing experience,then how I reflected on it and changed my ways (explains poor gpa start maybe), how its more than about myself and rather take a grand scheme approach, helping public is what truly garners my attention and I wan to dedicate my professional life to it. Something of that nature. Not just look, I dived with sharks, aint I a badass.

The kind of school where they appreciate students doing top-notch stuff and beating out columbia/cooper union students in the real world of engineering, thus stuff not mentioned on this posting.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 22, 2010 4:27 pm

To swim unharmed with killer sharks is deemed to be a professional courtesy for lawyers.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 22, 2010 4:28 pm

namicnivad wrote:My essay would start off with, amazing experience,then how I reflected on it and changed my ways (explains poor gpa start maybe), how its more than about myself and rather take a grand scheme approach, helping public is what truly garners my attention and I wan to dedicate my professional life to it. Something of that nature. Not just look, I dived with sharks, aint I a badass.

The kind of school where they appreciate students doing top-notch stuff and beating out columbia/cooper union students in the real world of engineering, thus stuff not mentioned on this posting.

It sounds like you're an engineer, not a lawyer...and possibly thinking about law school for the wrong reasons. Go get a PhD.

namicnivad

Postby namicnivad » Sat May 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Icydash I'd say your right on but for some reason, I'm looking for the right reasons. I am genuinely interested in law but the elitism,long hours with no family time and 200k in debt is not appealing. The partner salary is much appealing but just wondering if wasting my life in the wrong type of law for salary reasons it worth it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat May 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Go do something else. If you have to wonder about it on a message board like this, it's not the career for you.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:37 pm

namicnivad wrote:Icydash I'd say your right on but for some reason, I'm looking for the right reasons. I am genuinely interested in law but the elitism,long hours with no family time and 200k in debt is not appealing. The partner salary is much appealing but just wondering if wasting my life in the wrong type of law for salary reasons it worth it.

Who says you are going to get big law anyway? You'll need to get into a t13 law school to even have a half way decent shot. That means a 170+ on the LSAT. What was your SAT?

Odds are if you go to law school, you are looking at 60 hour work weeks for 60K, not 160K a year.

Engineering is probably the more lucrative career for you, and it's the one you seemingly enjoy.

Return to “What are my chances?”