advice for a pre-law sophomore?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thinktank1990

advice for a pre-law sophomore?

Postby thinktank1990 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm a history major at a fairly small liberal arts college (Grove City College) and just finished my freshman year with a 3.03 (The low GPA was mostly due to low motivation from my old major, economics. I was able to bring the grades in several of my classes up a full letter grade after midterms this semester, and have no doubt that I can bring my GPA up significantly over the coming semesters). I'm trying to maximize my chances of getting into law school as well, as give myself a better chance of backup career I could enjoy if law doesn't work out for whatever reason, so I'm thinking about adding a second major in physics. So, hypothetically speaking, if I can get my GPA up to 3.5 or 3.6, and get a around a 170 on the LSAT (apparently the average for physics majors), what would people here say about my chances for getting into a decent law school?

Cupidity

Re: advice for a pre-law sophomore?

Postby Cupidity » Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 pm

1. The words "170" and "average for" don't belong in the same sentence.

2. /thread

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri May 21, 2010 11:29 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Try 157.6

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Fri May 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Wait, what? You're going to add a physics major to pad your history degree GPA?

Also, 170 is not the average for physics majors. And the fact that math/physics/philosophy students tend to do well on the LSAT probably has a lot to do with the kind of intellectual work/problems such students are attracted to; so only take physics if it is something you want to do in itself.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 pm

170 is the "average for" students in the 98th percentile of LSAT takers.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri May 21, 2010 11:32 pm

:cry: you have shamed me
februaryftw wrote:170 is the "average for" students in the 98th percentile of LSAT takers.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri May 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Nevermind.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Invest every fiber of your being in LSAT studying, maintain that upward grade trend, and find some extracurriculars or volunteer opportunities that you can consistently remain involved with. The LSAT's easily the most important of the three.

thinktank1990

Postby thinktank1990 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Cupidity wrote:http://www.uic.edu/cba/cba-depts/economics/undergrad/table.htm

Try 157.6

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... e_average/

According to this (more recent) survey, it's 170...

And as far as the history/physics double major, my line of thinking is that the history degree will help me get the necessary research/writing skills, and the physics degree will help with IP law, which I'm interested in, as well as providing a back up I could enjoy

EDIT: okay wow, I don't know how I saw 170. That says 160... *shame* Still, physics majors have the highest average LSATs
Last edited by thinktank1990 on Fri May 21, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 21, 2010 11:48 pm

thinktank1990 wrote:

Try 157.6

And as far as the history/physics double major, my line of thinking is that the history degree will help me get the necessary research/writing skills, and the physics degree will help with IP law, which I'm interested in, as well as providing a back up I could enjoy

A hard science degree may open up IP law doors for you, but it could also weigh down your GPA. Consider if the tradeoff is really worth it. I don't know a whole lot about IP law, but isn't engineering a better path for IP law?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 21, 2010 11:50 pm

thinktank1990 wrote:

Try 157.6

Sorry kid. I think you better start studying for the LSAT a little harder than you had in mind. Pay particular attention to the reading comprehension portion...

ABA Journal wrote: 1) Physics/math majors, with an average LSAT of 160.

Edit: Thanks for editing. Now I'll answer your question. If you think you'll like physics and you think you'll do well in physics then major in physics. Do not do it because you think that it will automatically increase your LSAT score. Practicing the LSAT will give you an idea of where you are and what you need, and you're still a little ways away from that part of the game. Try to get your GPA up now and then deal with the LSAT later.

If you get to the end of your college experience and you find you need a few more LSAT points, you can probably study yourself into a good score. If you find you need a few more GPA points, you're out of luck. Act accordingly.
Last edited by blurbz on Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri May 21, 2010 11:53 pm

The article says 160. Maybe you should work on your RC instead of adding another major.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri May 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Okay, the kid made an embarrassing RC mistake. Give him a break :P

thinktank1990

Postby thinktank1990 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:58 pm

MoS wrote:The article says 160. Maybe you should work on your RC instead of adding another major.

Yeah yeah, I know. I read that article earlier, and had 170 in my head from something else I was reading. It was an honest mistake

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri May 21, 2010 11:59 pm

I edited my post to give you some more advice but I just realized that I never actually answered your original question. If you can get your GPA up and you do manage to do well on the LSAT, you'll get into good schools. It's just a matter of doing it! Good luck.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat May 22, 2010 12:01 am

Fair enough. My advice would be major in something you enjoy not something you think will pad your resume. You already saw the effect on your GPA that having a major you don't enjoy has and Physics is not a joke of a major. Also I saw a study somewhere about Music Theory majors actually having a the highest LSAT average, and because the relatively low number of them taking the test they are often left out of other studies. I think this and even physics and math majors doing so well is that they feel as if they need to study more because they didn't take a "traditional" pre-law path, so they end up doing better. Plus some people just get it. I know a girl who took it cold and got a 178, no joke the real test. Don't rely on how others did when predicting your performance.

thinktank1990

Postby thinktank1990 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks for the advice guys. :) I'll definitely take all that into consideration

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:22 am

The other posters have given great advice but one more thing to add: If you are interested in IP Engineering is a better major, if you plan to go into IP with a Physics background you better have some kind of advanced degree.

Return to “What are my chances?”