2 GPA's one US one UK chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FlanAl

2 GPA's one US one UK chances

Postby FlanAl » Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 am

So I went to college for a semester at my local state school and then transfered to my local community college. After a year of college at home i needed to get out of town so I enrolled at a university in the UK. I've also taken some language classes at CC over summer.

Anyways after taking my last final I am not that stoked on what my UK grades are going to be. With the lsdas counting all my years even if I did my absolute worst on this test (ie 0 out of 20) i should get a rating from them of average or possibly below average. Even if it is average my grades the last two years aren't the best.

My GPA from college in the states should be around like a 3.3 but I haven't thought about it in a while and will have to order my transcripts.

So are the numbers really all that matter? Will potentially below average performance in the UK be completely overlooked? Should I apply to law schools like I have a 3.3?

My lsat prep starts today and I know you guys could give me a better idea of my chances at schools when I have that score but my main question is how bad of a blemish could my UK transcript be?

Thanks

MusicNutMeggie

Re: 2 GPA's one US one UK chances

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Tue May 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Okay, I've read this post three or four times, and I'm still confused. Break it down for me: you did a year of college stateside (a semester at a state school and a semester at a CC), then *finished your degree* at a UK uni, plus a couple of language courses at CCs?

That all makes sense, but then there's this sentence: "With the lsdas counting all my years even if I did my absolute worst on this test (ie 0 out of 20) i should get a rating from them of average or possibly below average."

Okay, yes, the LSDAS is going to count all work you did as an undergraduate. What do you mean, "I should get a rating from them of average or possibly below average"? From LSDAS? From your university in the UK? Are you saying you're getting a third?

If you finished your degree in the UK, your UK GPA will absolutely count. It will not be "completely overlooked" -- the only time that foreign transcripts don't need to be submitted is when you did a study abroad program through a US university and your US university gave you credit on their own transcript. LSDAS will convert your UK transcript so that law schools can evaluate you against US peers.

No, numbers are not *all* that matter...but they're most of what matters. Work hard on prepping for the LSAT, and if you end up with a high score, try applying to some splitter-friendly schools. Good luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”