Downward Trend

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
glitched

Downward Trend

Postby glitched » Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 am

... :)
Last edited by glitched on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Re: Downward Trend

Postby blurbz » Wed May 19, 2010 10:08 am

That's not enough to be considered a downward trend. You'll be just fine. Congratulations.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 am

blurbz wrote:That's not enough to be considered a downward trend. You'll be just fine. Congratulations.

Agree with this. Also, even if it was, trends in GPA are a super minor soft. No one cares. The actual GPA is what matters.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 am

leeronalda wrote:Hello,

First time actually writing on this forum. :) Been reading it though.

Okay - So I have a question about downward trends. I pretty much kicked ass in school during my freshmen/sophomore year cause I didn't really have any other obligations. But Junior/Senior year basically you can see my GPA dropping because I got cocky and just so much stuff started piling on. But I mean in the end - I have been fortunate enough to have a good GPA, but I was just curious how much the downward trend will affect my chances.

So here are my numbers and information to give anyone who is reading this a better understanding of who I am:

School: UC Berkeley
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology (Emphasis in Immunology) - Don't ask, I made a late decision :(( -
Overall UGPA: 3.91 (But here's the trend - Freshmen: 3.94, Sophomore: 4.09, Junior: 3.90, Senior: 3.72)
LSAT: 172

Yeah, senior year was just tough for me - there were a lot of personal reasons that made it hard for me to study.

But yeah - I couldn't really find much information on downward trends, and I wanted something specific for my case anyway. Thank you guys! BTW - you guys rock with the advice. I have been reading this forum ever since I decided to go to law school.

Ronald

Congrats on a great GPA dude. Just to reaffirm that this doesnt matter at all, my grades as an EE were, year-by-year, 3.75 3.7 3.7 2.9. My cycle went even better than expected.

Your overall grades are in the stratosphere and you have hardly a downward trend. Enjoy attending a T6 school :)

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed May 19, 2010 10:19 am

leeronalda wrote:Yeah, senior year was just tough for me - there were a lot of personal reasons that made it hard for me to study.

Must have been tough man, because you did poorly. Sure, the average person might consider 3.7 a good GPA, but when you're talking to law school applicants, they will see you as being on the lower end. The posters above me must just be misinformed. Your 3.9 cumulative will basically be downgraded to 3.7 because of your downward trend.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 19, 2010 10:52 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
leeronalda wrote:Yeah, senior year was just tough for me - there were a lot of personal reasons that made it hard for me to study.

Must have been tough man, because you did poorly. Sure, the average person might consider 3.7 a good GPA, but when you're talking to law school applicants, they will see you as being on the lower end. The posters above me must just be misinformed. Your 3.9 cumulative will basically be downgraded to 3.7 because of your downward trend.

No way. They consider the cumulative GPA most because that's the GPA law schools report to LSAC which is part of the US News data.
There are so many sub 3.7 law school applicants out there.. your GPA is a 3.91.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote:

No way. They consider the cumulative GPA most because that's the GPA law schools report to LSAC which is part of the US News data.
There are so many sub 3.7 law school applicants out there.. your GPA is a 3.91.

Is it that hard to recognize sarcasm?? Jeeeeze

mb88

Postby mb88 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:31 pm

OP, you might seriously consider retaking the LSAT. Your "downward trend" doesn't mean much of anything, and your fantastic overall GPA puts you, potentially, in the HYP league. The only thing holding you back is the 172. Only a few more points and you'd be having a very realistic shot at the fabled three.

If I were in your shoes, I would study study study for a few months, and if (and only if) I could reliably practice test 175+, I would retake for the chance at Top3.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu May 20, 2010 1:41 pm

mb88 wrote:OP, you might seriously consider retaking the LSAT. Your "downward trend" doesn't mean much of anything, and your fantastic overall GPA puts you, potentially, in the HY[strike]P[/strike]S league. The only thing holding you back is the 172. Only a few more points and you'd be having a very realistic shot at the fabled three.

If I were in your shoes, I would study study study for a few months, and if (and only if) I could reliably practice test 175+, I would retake for the chance at Top3.

1) FTFY :wink:
2) No reason OP wouldn't have as good a shot as anyone at Standford. They emphasize GPA over LSAT anyway. S and Berk (along with CCN as all three are essentially auto-admit, probably with $) would be ideal targets so long as OP doesn't have any nasty sub-3.0 community college years lurking for the LSAC to discover.
3) Retake for a swing at H and Y if you like, but if your goals are modest I'd stick with $ from CCN.

mb88

Postby mb88 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 pm

stratocophic wrote:
mb88 wrote:OP, you might seriously consider retaking the LSAT. Your "downward trend" doesn't mean much of anything, and your fantastic overall GPA puts you, potentially, in the HY[strike]P[/strike]S league. The only thing holding you back is the 172. Only a few more points and you'd be having a very realistic shot at the fabled three.

2) No reason OP wouldn't have as good a shot as anyone at Stan[strike]d[/strike]ford. They emphasize GPA over LSAT anyway. S and Berk (along with CCN as all three are essentially auto-admit, probably with $) would be ideal targets so long as OP doesn't have any nasty sub-3.0 community college years lurking for the LSAC to discover.
3) Retake for a swing at H and Y if you like, but if your goals are modest I'd stick with $ from CCN.

2) To each his own, I guess. If the OP is happy with $ at CCN, then he can happily ride out his current numbers. If it was me though, I'd be awake every night wondering: "What if I just got 3 more correct on the LSAT? Would I be at Yale right now?"

I could never live with that, personally.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu May 20, 2010 7:08 pm

With a 3.91 in MCB, I'd personally apply to health science programs like dentistry, optometry, or pharmacy. Much better QOL than lawyers IMO.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Dentists have the highest suicide rate.

teabag

Postby teabag » Thu May 20, 2010 7:27 pm

downward trend looks bad.

glitched

Postby glitched » Sat May 22, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks for all the replies!! There were a lot of acronyms thrown out there, but I think I figured it out. Something about community college GPA - I took classes when i was a junior in HIGH SCHOOL (2 classes) and got a 3.5.... could that actually come back to haunt me?

And as for going in a health profession - mehhhh. I consider it still on rare occasions, but nah. It's not for me. :)

Thanks for the encouragements from some of you! and for the others - thanks for keeping it real too. I don't want to get cocky now. hahaha I'm considering redoing the LSAT now too!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon May 24, 2010 12:59 pm

leeronalda wrote:Thanks for all the replies!! There were a lot of acronyms thrown out there, but I think I figured it out. Something about community college GPA - I took classes when i was a junior in HIGH SCHOOL (2 classes) and got a 3.5.... could that actually come back to haunt me?

And as for going in a health profession - mehhhh. I consider it still on rare occasions, but nah. It's not for me. :)

Thanks for the encouragements from some of you! and for the others - thanks for keeping it real too. I don't want to get cocky now. hahaha I'm considering redoing the LSAT now too!

If you got credit for them, they count - LSAC's pretty heartless in that respect. You only took a few CC classes, so they won't murder your GPA, just bruise it a little. Set against a full 4 years of having a 3.91 GPA you shouldn't be any worse off than a 3.87 or so; don't sweat it.
mb88 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

2) No reason OP wouldn't have as good a shot as anyone at Stan[strike]d[/strike]ford. They emphasize GPA over LSAT anyway. S and Berk (along with CCN as all three are essentially auto-admit, probably with $) would be ideal targets so long as OP doesn't have any nasty sub-3.0 community college years lurking for the LSAC to discover.

2) To each his own, I guess. If the OP is happy with $ at CCN, then he can happily ride out his current numbers. If it was me though, I'd be awake every night wondering: "What if I just got 3 more correct on the LSAT? Would I be at Yale right now?"

I could never live with that, personally.

1) Humiliation :oops:
2) Very true. Depends on OP's performance on practice LSATs. I wouldn't retake if I averaged a 170 with a few high outliers and just happened to step up for the real deal - could be the difference between a Hamilton and a pittance from Columbia if things went badly in Round 2, who knows. If my practice LSATs were more around 173-174, sure, I'd take another swing at it after some hardcore prep...

Return to “What are my chances?”