Transfer question Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ENGINEERD

Bronze

Transfer question

Post by ENGINEERD » Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Disclaimer: I know I shouldn't attend a school with the intention of transferring

I am pretty sure I will be attending a school in the 19-22 range for the fall. I am curious how well I will have to do at my future school to transfer to GTown EA. Some forums I have read imply that if you are transferring from a school 10-15 rankings away from GTown the Top 20-30% of your class might be good enough.

I would guess that your chances do not increase linearly the closer you are in ranking to the school your trying to transfer to. I am curious however, if the would have better chances transferring to georgetown from a school ranked 19 instead of 22. I know it sounds stupid but 19 is only 5 rankings spots where as 22 is 8. That seems a little bit significant.

On a side note, I am happy graduating from either of the institutions I will attend in the fall if transferring does not work. The way I see it, there is no down side to attempting to transfer (as long as I am content with graduating from my initial institution).
Please save me the don't go to school with the intention to transfer response. I am aware that graduating from a T22 at top of my class might be better than graduating from Gtown at median but I would rather try and have the option and I don't think the extra motivation to do well 1L will hurt.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Re: Transfer question

Post by ENGINEERD » Tue May 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Bump...

sixburgher

New

Post by sixburgher » Tue May 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Have you seen this?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Should give you a good idea of who transfers up

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 am

I don't think that people with identical class rank from WUSTL and BU will be looked at differently.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Wed May 19, 2010 5:16 pm

bk187 wrote:I don't think that people with identical class rank from WUSTL and BU will be looked at differently.
That is what I was hoping/thinking, thanks for the response.

Do you think top 30% is the cut off for transfers <10 rankings away? Could I get away with top 40% on a PT/FT application (I am not sure if they even accept pt transfers)?

sixburgher thanks for the info, I have been lurking on that site. It seems like it will be a great resource when I start applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Wed May 19, 2010 5:37 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:
bk187 wrote:I don't think that people with identical class rank from WUSTL and BU will be looked at differently.
That is what I was hoping/thinking, thanks for the response.

Do you think top 30% is the cut off for transfers <10 rankings away? Could I get away with top 40% on a PT/FT application (I am not sure if they even accept pt transfers)?

sixburgher thanks for the info, I have been lurking on that site. It seems like it will be a great resource when I start applying.
I'd like to know the answer to this question too. Is top 30% or so with good reasons to transfer, generally enough to transfer to a school less than 10 spots away in the rankings. Going from Wustl or GW to UVA, NU or Duke is a decent jump. Similarly, i'm not sure top 30% at UVA or Duke is enough to transfer to YHS, another 10 spots away.

I think going from BU or Wustl to G-twon is not a big deal, but anything past Gtown seems like it might be.

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:01 pm

I just wen't through this exact process. I currently go to a t20 school, but was interested in getting into georgetown early action from the beginning. Did really well my first semester (top 5%+), applied and got in. One of my friends was probably in the top 15% (again, a t20 school) and he was deferred.

I suggest checking out the yahoo transferapps page and also the thread for this years georgetown EA cycle to gauge your chances:
rossmca wrote:Updated data (throwing myself on the list):

accepted
newyorker69 (#1 @ T4)
bkthunder (Top 5%+ @ T2; complete 02/26)
JR00576 (Top 4% @ T30; complete 03/02)
XM3045 (T3, submitted early)
confused111 (complete late)
mardimar (top 5% at T50)
journeybound (top 3% @ T80; complete 3/15)
bkthunders friend (top 6% @ T70)
shmoo597 (top 5% @ t20)
facelessman (top 5% at T25)

deferred
transferhopeful12 (top 15% @ 15-17)
A’nold (Top 4% @ T3)
Kings84_wr (Top 4% @ T25; applied late)
Stinger35 (top 1% @ T2)
megaTTTron (top 12% @ T30; applied early)
t14orelse (top 3% @ T50; applied late)
thexfactor (top 15% @ T50)
JPU (#1 @ t4)
Big Shrimpin (top 15% @ T2)
XferAlt (top 6% @ T2)
zizou (top 5-10% @ T25)
DeweyWins (top 1% @ T60)
Pharmacien (top 10% @ T30)
rossmca (T10% @ T50) - and to all those in my section who will read this non-inconspicuous author name: "hi"
I think applying from WUSTL over BU might give you a tiny advantage, but either way, I think you have to be top 10% to be an autoadmit. PM me if you have any other questions.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Wed May 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Wow thanks for the data! That makes me think that being at top 30% at a t20 is far from good enough...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Wow thanks for the data! That makes me think that being at top 30% at a t20 is far from good enough...
I would probably say that this is an accurate assessment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Wow thanks for the data! That makes me think that being at top 30% at a t20 is far from good enough...
the data above is just for EA

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 pm

From that data it seems like from t2 and up there is no special consideration given to your schools ranking. In other words, given the same class ranking there is no special consideration given to a student from a t20 school over a student from a t80 school.

Also this is a noob question but is it harder to get in ea?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”