T-14, I'm a dreamer but I ain't the only one... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: T-14, I'm a dreamer but I ain't the only one...

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Definitely. OP only mentioned Harvard out of the top 3, so I think chances are good there with a qualifying LSAT score. However, someone from my UG swept HYS this cycle and will be at Yale in the fall, so I wouldn't say that a degree from a middle or lower tier state school necessarily or even probably prevents you from gaining admission to HYS. Particularly for Y and S I think your application needs to be cohesive and interesting.
Jesus goes to your UG? :lol:

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Definitely. OP only mentioned Harvard out of the top 3, so I think chances are good there with a qualifying LSAT score. However, someone from my UG swept HYS this cycle and will be at Yale in the fall, so I wouldn't say that a degree from a middle or lower tier state school necessarily or even probably prevents you from gaining admission to HYS. Particularly for Y and S I think your application needs to be cohesive and interesting.
Jesus goes to your UG? :lol:
Nope, but Thomas Hobbes does, and that's pretty close.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Sat May 22, 2010 12:33 pm

LoL you post is kinda poetic... That's cute... Good luck with your LSAT studies =)

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sat May 22, 2010 12:36 pm

thickfreakness wrote: Nope, but Thomas Hobbes does, and that's pretty close.
It is. Is it true that he can walk on water?

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sat May 22, 2010 12:38 pm

How did one A- bring your GPA down so far over 2 years?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sat May 22, 2010 12:40 pm

BlueCivic wrote:The stars are way above the moon. If you miss the moon you'll end up orbiting around the moon, floating in space, or falling back to earth, depending on how close you come.
Yeah, this was my initial reaction to the whole post. If you miss the moon, you're fucked.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sat May 22, 2010 12:41 pm

redsox wrote:How did one A- bring your GPA down so far over 2 years?
She said it was a math class, so probably 4 to 5 credit hours. 4-5 hours out of 60 hours (15/semester, she could even be at 48 if she did 12/semester) is pretty substantial.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sat May 22, 2010 12:55 pm

To bring her GPA down to a 3.963, 11% of her credits would need to be A-.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sat May 22, 2010 1:07 pm

redsox wrote:To bring her GPA down to a 3.963, 11% of her credits would need to be A-.
Touché.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wonderer

New

Post by wonderer » Sat May 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Wow, I'm sorry guys. I didn't realize I didn't clarify this.
I've only been in college for 3 semesters and now I'm in advanced standing because of some AP credit. My new GPA is not yet officially updated on my transcript so I just went off the old one, so it probably will be slightly higher. And our system doesn't use the A+ so an A = 4.0. I believe my LSAC GPA is a 3.97. I'm not usually a stickler. The only reason an A- bothers me is because had I been allowed to make up a quiz it would have easily been an A. It's just those little if only's that are agitating.

And thanks for the responses. It's relieving to know my undergrad won't have much of a role if I can do well on the LSAT.

Yeah, I know my softs won't matter much but I can try explaining my situation. AM I considered an URM? Surely underrepresented but I thought Arabs were considered Caucasian (by definition, persons from the Middle East), and seeing Arab alone was never an option on forms, I never knew what to put. Ugh, so confusing...

LSAT...LSAT...LSAT...who knew a single test could have so much impact? I appreciate the advice. And the reason I considered taking the February test (before someone mentioned it wasn't disclosed) is because I thought I wouldn't have time for a retake if I wanted to apply early. It doesn't sound as if that is the case anymore...

And yeah, of the top three I only seriously looked at Harvard but may try for Stanford (though Cali is likely too far). I don't think I Yale is the school for me, for a number of reasons, even if it is #1...we'll see.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat May 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Not certain, but you might have URM status at Yeshiva Cardozo School of Law. Other than an attempt at humor, my point is that you may have to ask each law school to which you apply regarding your URM status.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Sat May 22, 2010 6:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Not certain, but you might have URM status at Yeshiva Cardozo School of Law. Other than an attempt at humor, my point is that you may have to ask each law school to which you apply regarding your URM status.
Don't actually ask the school, OP. Check any boxes, write a diversity statement, and then let them decide.

kenson

New

Post by kenson » Sun May 23, 2010 2:04 am

First of all, The Painted Veil? Ugh :(

Haha. You sound like you'll do fine as long as you nail the lsat in the lower 170s. My school also kind of bones us in regards to the lsac gpa (no a+ for us overachievers). I had 18 credits for ap scores, but they counted them all as just "pass" even though they were all 5s :(

Anyways good luck and let us know the results of your eventual cycle

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wonderer

New

Post by wonderer » Sun May 23, 2010 1:34 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Not certain, but you might have URM status at Yeshiva Cardozo School of Law. Other than an attempt at humor, my point is that you may have to ask each law school to which you apply regarding your URM status.
Don't actually ask the school, OP. Check any boxes, write a diversity statement, and then let them decide.
Will do. Thank you both.
kenson wrote:First of all, The Painted Veil? Ugh :(
Yeah, it's a real tearjerker, but it's one of my favorites! :D

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”