Aight ppl, shoot it straight. where do I stand?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
holydonkey

Re: Aight ppl, shoot it straight. where do I stand?

Postby holydonkey » Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 pm

KingJames6 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Duke looks tough with that gpa.
Even with a good upward trend? Would a school ever wait and watch my last year and see if I can get my gpa higher throughout my sr year after I've applied?
3.45 seems like their floor.

Postby 06132010 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:30 pm

KingJames6 wrote:

Even with a good upward trend? Would a school ever wait and watch my last year and see if I can get my gpa higher throughout my sr year after I've applied?

upward trends are essentially a soft factor. your upward trend is equivalent to being president of the privileged, white douchebag organization/X University Libertarian Club, or some other extracurricular club.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Fri May 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Moving on from the cries of racist...

Looks like you'll have to own the LSAT to have a shot for the T14. It won't be a lock because you'll be a splitter, but if you could manage a 172-3+, you'd probably get a bite or two in the T10. Saw a white male with a 172/3.3 get accepted to Michigan and UVA is supposed to be splitter friendly. Duke doesn't sound likely because they tend to emphasize GPA.

But that's if you can get that kind of a score. And then you HAVE to apply early. For splitters and borderline applicants, this seems to make all the difference. Send them in ASAP next fall.

KingJames6

Postby KingJames6 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:31 pm

holydonkey wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:

At the time of the app? or by graduation?

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Fri May 14, 2010 1:33 pm

No one cares about your grade trends. It's sad but it's true. It just doesn't really matter.

You're going to need to do very well on the LSAT. Hopefully intelligence was included when your parents "gave you everything in life".

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 pm

KingJames6 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:
At the time of the app? or by graduation?
Well, if you have the LSAT #s and are close to a 3.45, but not quite there, I imagine they would hold your app for Spring grades. Maybe put you on priority reserve or straight waitlist. You can follow up with the new grades in your final transcript/loci and who knows? This is all assuming you have around a 171-173 and about a 3.3+ at time of application.

I think bees mentioned UVA. If you have a 171-173, you may want to consider EDing to UVA. They're more splitter friendly than Duke.

KingJames6

Postby KingJames6 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

beesknees wrote:Moving on from the cries of racist...

Looks like you'll have to own the LSAT to have a shot for the T14. It won't be a lock because you'll be a splitter, but if you could manage a 172-3+, you'd probably get a bite or two in the T10. Saw a white male with a 172/3.3 get accepted to Michigan and UVA is supposed to be splitter friendly. Duke doesn't sound likely because they tend to emphasize GPA.

But that's if you can get that kind of a score. And then you HAVE to apply early. For splitters and borderline applicants, this seems to make all the difference. Send them in ASAP next fall.

Quality advice. If I get waitlisted at a school that I applied early to, would it help if I included grade updates at the end of terms in my LOCI?

Ok you just answered that.

KingJames6

Postby KingJames6 » Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:No one cares about your grade trends. It's sad but it's true. It just doesn't really matter.

You're going to need to do very well on the LSAT. Hopefully intelligence was included when your parents "gave you everything in life".

lol I guess I'll find out

lawyerhopefull

Postby lawyerhopefull » Fri May 14, 2010 8:01 pm

why couldnt a racist ace the lsat? :|

acadec

Postby acadec » Wed May 19, 2010 11:03 am

KingJames6 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
KingJames6 wrote:woah didnt realize how racist I sounded there...sorry: What I meant was, I'm white (as in I am not a minority that had to overcome any difficulties or serious adversities), my parents are affluent and I had everything given to me in life, thus, I theoretically have no excuse not to do well. Yikes, certainly not that much of a douchebag, promise.

This didn't help, IMO.

I didn't think this came off bad. At least he's admitting he's priveledged. That's like the step where you at least admit you have an addiction. Most people don't get that far.

This. Thank you! I am absolutely NOT racist. I understand the importance of diversity and I personally love to broaden my horizons. All that I was trying to say is that I had a lot given to me and I took a lot of it for granted and I regret it.

ok, but the implication is still that non-whites do have an excuse not to do well, as a virtue of their being non-white. which is kinda racist.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 am

--ImageRemoved--

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 am

IMO I don't find what he said to be racist. Here's a clear example of racism: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=117807

KingJames6

Postby KingJames6 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 pm

acadec wrote:ok, but the implication is still that non-whites do have an excuse not to do well, as a virtue of their being non-white. which is kinda racist.

False. Maybe excuse is the wrong word, but they are certainly more likely to have a reason to not do as well, and that reason has nothing to do with God-given ability or virtues of being non-white. Ever read A Hope in the Unseen? Kinda like that. The ratio of blacks to whites in inner-city schools is staggering. The quality of the institutions/environment is a proven problem. Couple this with the discrimination that URMs are likely to have faced/overcome, and you have reasons for poorer results in school that (percentage-wise) whites often do not have. Am I saying that there aren't plenty of white individuals who grow up in similar situations? Of course not, and there are certainly plenty of affluent minorities that had every opportunity to do well. But I was speaking (perhaps unwisely) on percentages. URM scholarships and benefits exist for these exact reasons. It is a factual analysis, having no hint of racism.

Return to “What are my chances?”