3.2 GPA, 174 LSAT, PhD in Genetics Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ocean

New

3.2 GPA, 174 LSAT, PhD in Genetics

Post by ocean » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi, all, those are my numbers.

There is no such thing as GPA in China, every test is 100 points and some of them can be very hard (you can score 75 and be number 1 in class). It was only during recent years, people started to transform them into 4 points GPA scale as follows: >85 is A, between 75 and 85 is B, 60 to 75 is C, lower than 60 is F. Class ranking is not reflected by our scoring system. I actually ranked top 10 out of 109 in my class (No proof on paper :( , but I was selected into the Basic Sciences Training Unit of Department of Education based on 3.0 GPA of the freshman and sophomore GPA, this is just showing you how ludicrously the arbitrary GPA transformation works and I was the secretary of academic affairs in student council in my junior year).

I have a PhD in molecular genetics (from one of the top 3 US public University) and have a 3.8 GPA (which doesn't count, I know), I also have three scientific publications (one second authorship and 2 first authorship). The two recommendation letters from my PhD adviser and the chairman of my thesis committee will both be very strong, not only because of good rapport and my work ethics, but also because they are both stand-up guys, very very supportive of me.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated, my dream school is Columbia and I would be thrilled if I can get into Michigan, lower than UVa would be a huge disappointment. The UG GPA really bugs me, I will definitely write an addendum. Although I like the fact that this will give me a chance to argue a case for myself, the 3.2 bugs me hugely.
Last edited by ocean on Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Silver

Re: 3.2 GPA, 174 LSAT, PhD in Genetics

Post by $1.99 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:19 pm

i can understand how unfair the lsac gpa conversion may seem but unfortunately the top schools follow it very strictly. your softs are pretty impressive to me but i think you have barely a slim shot at columbia. your best bet is to ED and pray to whatever religion you follow because they never dip below a 3.4 GPA and your LSAT is not above their 75th percentile.

I think you will break the top 14 if you write a good addendum since you seem like a well rounded applicant but that gpa is screwing you over big time.

on_ne_sait_jamais

New

Post by on_ne_sait_jamais » Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 pm

$1.99 wrote:i can understand how unfair the lsac gpa conversion may seem but unfortunately the top schools follow it very strictly. your softs are pretty impressive to me but i think you have barely a slim shot at columbia. your best bet is to ED and pray to whatever religion you follow because they never dip below a 3.4 GPA and your LSAT is not above their 75th percentile.

I think you will break the top 14 if you write a good addendum since you seem like a well rounded applicant but that gpa is screwing you over big time.
A guy with 278 posts, telling a Doctor of Molecular Genetics, where he can and can't get in... hilarious

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i can understand how unfair the lsac gpa conversion may seem but unfortunately the top schools follow it very strictly. your softs are pretty impressive to me but i think you have barely a slim shot at columbia. your best bet is to ED and pray to whatever religion you follow because they never dip below a 3.4 GPA and your LSAT is not above their 75th percentile.

A guy with 278 posts, telling a Doctor of Molecular Genetics, where he can and can't get in... hilarious
Why would a doctor of molecular genetics know anything about law admissions?

That being said if that GPA is from China, it doesn't count, and OP should apply everywhere.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I think a more pertinent question is why on Earth do you want to go to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:

That being said if that GPA is from China, it doesn't count, and OP should apply everywhere.
Yeah I think if you -don't- have a GPA, they just assume you're at the median or something, right?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:27 pm

icydash wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:

Yeah I think if you -don't- have a GPA, they just assume you're at the median or something, right?
No, the schools considers whatever they want. It just doesn't hurt the schools median.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Tue May 11, 2010 11:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote: No, the schools considers whatever they want. It just doesn't hurt the schools median.
Right. So since he can't bring down the GPA median (which is all they care about for the most part -- their GPA/LSAT medians) since he doesn't have a real GPA (at least not one that's usable coming from China), then they'll most likely focus on his LSAT / softs, which seem great. I think he should apply everywhere.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:

a guy about to go to northwesTTTern making snide comments on TLS...hilarious

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RockyLovesEmily

New

Post by RockyLovesEmily » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am

kalvano wrote:I think a more pertinent question is why on Earth do you want to go to law school?
+1,000,000

I'm not sure if you got the memo, but the legal market is bloated and genetics is the FUTURE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 am

Seriously, in the time you spend at law school, you could probably just clone your own lawyer.

ocean

New

Post by ocean » Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 am

RockyLovesEmily wrote:
kalvano wrote:I think a more pertinent question is why on Earth do you want to go to law school?
+1,000,000

I'm not sure if you got the memo, but the legal market is bloated and genetics is the FUTURE!
Nah, man. It's very hard to make a living as a foreign scientist. I am working 10 to 12 hours a day, no weekends as a graduate student before and as a post-doc right now, get paid like 40,000/ year, I love science, but it's very demoralizing. Science is a profession filled with failures, that's just the way it is, because we are on the frontier bordering with the unknown, but the highly competitive environment of science has lower and lower tolerance of failures. This incompatibility/discrepancy creates widespread miserable feelings across the whole field.

I am not really turned down by the current market, law weaves the society together and with the society continues progressing, lawyers are needed. Scientists, on the other hand, are way overproduced.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 am

icydash wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: No, the schools considers whatever they want. It just doesn't hurt the schools median.
Right. So since he can't bring down the GPA median (which is all they care about for the most part -- their GPA/LSAT medians) since he doesn't have a real GPA (at least not one that's usable coming from China), then they'll most likely focus on his LSAT / softs, which seem great. I think he should apply everywhere.
Agreed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 am

ocean wrote:
RockyLovesEmily wrote:
+1,000,000

Nah, man. It's very hard to make a living as a foreign scientist. I am working 10 to 12 hours a day, no weekends as a graduate student before and as a post-doc right now, get paid like 40,000/ year, I love science, but it's very demoralizing. Science is a profession filled with failures, that's just the way it is, because we are on the frontier bordering with the unknown, but the highly competitive environment of science has lower and lower tolerance of failures. This incompatibility/discrepancy creates widespread miserable feelings across the whole field.

I am not really turned down by the current market, law weaves the society together and with the society continues progressing, lawyers are needed. Scientists, on the other hand, are way overproduced.
The legal field is a wee bit saturated. Don't be discouraged I don't mean to talk you out of law school, I mean I'm going after all, just be sure and do your research on the legal market and the schools you are inevitably going to get into. From what I've read being a fresh JD is not easy but if you enjoy law by all means join the JD club. Also, PhD in molecular genetics? That's pretty impressive, you should be proud.

TobiasFunke

New

Post by TobiasFunke » Wed May 12, 2010 12:41 am

Last edited by TobiasFunke on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 am

don't call yourself a scientist dude, you're not a real scientist, you're a wannabe, well I guess you're a don't wannabe no more because I can't make it guy "in science", definitely not a "scientist"

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 am

tbo123123 wrote:don't call yourself a scientist dude, you're not a real scientist, you're a wannabe, well I guess you're a don't wannabe no more because I can't make it guy "in science", definitely not a "scientist"
Was that English?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tbo123123

New

Post by tbo123123 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 am

on another note, how'd you pass your qualifiers after a 3.2 GPA? Most graduate programs in science/engineering don't let you in without a 3.5, unless you're in one of those state schools, something doesn't add up.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 12, 2010 1:02 am

Please tell me English is a third or fourth language for you.

UFmark

New

Post by UFmark » Wed May 12, 2010 1:18 am

kalvano wrote:Please tell me English is a third or fourth language for you.
I was seriously about to say the same thing haha...

ocean

New

Post by ocean » Wed May 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Yeah I think if you -don't- have a GPA, they just assume you're at the median or something, right?[/quote]

No, the schools considers whatever they want. It just doesn't hurt the schools median.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for that information. If that's a matter of fact, I am very much relieved.
Last edited by ocean on Wed May 12, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ocean

New

Post by ocean » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm

TobiasFunke wrote:I have similar numbers (lower LSAT, slightly higher GPA) and was accepted to Columbia. Though I'm a URM, my softs were NOWHERE NEAR being a doctor in genetics.

If you don't get in, NOBODY deserves to get in. Though again, while I understand that science is a damn hard and underpaid profession, you're absurdly overqualified for law school. If pay sucks, hit up venture capitalists and start your own company, then sell it for billions. But you'd be completely wasted in this profession.

Edit: But if you do get into Columbia, let's get a beer.
I really appreciate your kind words. Although still uneasy about the GPA, I will definitely apply Columbia and am looking forward to buy you a beer in the future.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Law schools care about two main things when admitting people: Their USNWR #s, and admitting people who will do good and do well to boost the school's reputation. You'll contribute to the former with your high LSAT (I don't think they have to report foreign GPAs to USNWR, but contact your interest schools to get a clear picture ... that will help you understand your situation A LOT!). Your potential to do the later seems higher than most people that even the most elite schools admit. The majority of people going to T5 law school haven't done anything with their lives besides school (granted, they did it VERY well). You're going to have schools tossing money at you, man. That is especially if you want to get into IP and go to a top IP school (Berkeley, BU, etc).

My main advice: contact the schools because you have a super specific situation and need information that only they can provide.

ocean

New

Post by ocean » Wed May 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Mattalones wrote:Law schools care about two main things when admitting people: Their USNWR #s, and admitting people who will do good and do well to boost the school's reputation. You'll contribute to the former with your high LSAT (I don't think they have to report foreign GPAs to USNWR, but contact your interest schools to get a clear picture ... that will help you understand your situation A LOT!). Your potential to do the later seems higher than most people that even the most elite schools admit. The majority of people going to T5 law school haven't done anything with their lives besides school (granted, they did it VERY well). You're going to have schools tossing money at you, man. That is especially if you want to get into IP and go to a top IP school (Berkeley, BU, etc).

My main advice: contact the schools because you have a super specific situation and need information that only they can provide.
Thank you so much for the thorough reply. Getting a PhD doesn't really single me out as someone who has done sth besides school though :)

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 15, 2010 6:27 pm

You're probably in Michigan/Duke/Cornell/Georgetown.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”