What LSAT do I need for...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rsd765

What LSAT do I need for...

Postby rsd765 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a few months here and finally decided to join. Just finished my junior year and registered for the June LSAT.

Some basic info:
-My GPA is a 3.47 according to law pad. Upward trend since freshman year with a 3.7 average my junior year. Factoring in next fall's GPA I would have the chance of ~3.55. My pre-law advisor claims schools will see my fall 2010 GPA but I am skeptical if I am applying early in the cycle like I'm planning. Thoughts?
-What I would consider to be strong softs (President of 2 large student orgs, Dean's Advisory Board, etc)
-Strong LOR's
-Summer work and internship experience in the field (1 summer for public defender, next year during school year for circuit court judge)

I'm mainly interested in midwest schools, targeting on WUSTL and Notre Dame. A far reach would be Michigan. Hopefully, safeties ranging from IUB, DePaul, Loyola, etc. Any other recommendations for schools would be appreciated.

I realize that my GPA is nothing spectacular and is below the median at my target schools. Realistically, what do you think I need to pull on the LSAT to get the green light? My main focus is on Notre Dame, however, I'm not catholic. How much do you think this would hold me back?

I realize I threw out a lot of questions, so any help or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

cardinalandgold

Re: What LSAT do I need for...

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue May 11, 2010 7:07 pm

I have a 3.5/169 and got into Michigan with $, ND with $$, and WUSTL with $. Just my experience.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 11, 2010 7:10 pm

LSAT, aim for mid 160s. 170+ for $$$.

One thing I can tell you is definitely apply as early as possible. Don't wait for your fall grades to come in. The boost from an early app versus .1 GPA boost is much better IMO. Plus if next years cycle is anything like this one you'll probably get waitlisted or put on hold at plenty of schools. Then when you send in your LOCI you can mention your fall grades. But look at the difference on LSN between early and late apps. You need to apply early.

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue May 11, 2010 7:13 pm

I am not so sure loyola or Depaul are good fallback schools if you goal is ND WashU. I would add Illinois to the list, Minn or Iowa. Wisconsin places ok in Chicago.
But to answer you question I think high 160s.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue May 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rsd765

Postby rsd765 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks for the quick answers.

Rock Chalk- I've looked at those websites before, but thank you. My goal of this thread was to get input with all things considered, not just limited to numbers. But I get your point.

Ultimately I would like to work in Chicago out of law school, so that is why my main focus was on midwest schools with decent/strong reps and safeties placed right in Chicago for ease of recruitment into firms. Thank you for bringing up the other schools.

Is there anyone that is getting as hung up on my GPA as I am? I know my main focus at this point should be LSAT, but it is hard for me to ignore what I consider to be my biggest weakness.

One other question to add to the mix-- I'm taking the June LSAT with relatively minimal prep. Here are some of my thoughts:
1.) Continue to prep for the June LSAT and take it if my PT's are steady in the upper 160's
2.) Forget the June LSAT and put all of my marbles in the October LSAT and spend more time prepping

Feedback? Thanks again for the input.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 pm

A great LSAT (175+, or over a school's 75th) score can give you a shot at any school minus HYS, so do the best you can. It is more important than your GPA, so don't get too hung up on the sub-median GPA.

I second the advice that an early application will be more important than any GPA boost.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
rsd765 wrote:Rock Chalk- I've looked at those websites before, but thank you. My goal of this thread was to get input with all things considered, not just limited to numbers. But I get your point.

Honestly, "all things considered" only comes into play if you have the numbers first, for tie-breakers and scholarship allocation. Sure, there are anomalies, but you shouldn't expect to be one of them, as many of them have ridiculous softs and others are plain lucky.
rsd765 wrote:One other question to add to the mix-- I'm taking the June LSAT with relatively minimal prep. Here are some of my thoughts:
1.) Continue to prep for the June LSAT and take it if my PT's are steady in the upper 160's
2.) Forget the June LSAT and put all of my marbles in the October LSAT and spend more time prepping

There's no harm in doing both. Very few schools care about multiple scores, and if you can get a good score in June it might outweigh not applying as early as possible.

If OP isn't near what he wants his score to be around come close to the June test, it would definitely not be a good idea to take it and just hope. Most schools won't average and 2 scores isn't that uncommon, but why have a negative soft hoping to get lucky?

I have 3 scores and I am fairly confident that those scores were one of the biggest negatives in my app.

Return to “What are my chances?”