Swiss Student...needing assistance

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stiss87

Swiss Student...needing assistance

Postby stiss87 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:53 am

Last edited by stiss87 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bolshoi

Re: Swiss Student...needing assistance

Postby Bolshoi » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 am

Law schools will NOT translate grades from your foreign degree into a GPA. All they get is a report stating whether your grades are poor, average, above average and so on. I think there were only like 5 categories on my report. As long as you're grades are good it won't be a problem. Pass/fails won't make any difference. Soft factors such as model UN and languages probably won't help that much either. Frankly, I don't think schools care that much about oversees grades since they don't have to report your GPA. But if you know your rank it can be a good idea to state it in your application, particularly if you're in the top 10% or so.

Since you're an international student with no US grades, the most important thing in your application will be your LSAT. Take it seriously, it will determine where you will be able to go. Check the LSAT section of TLS, it can be really helpful. I think some schools genuinely like to get people from abroad, but you need to be competitive. I'm an international applicant and my LSAT got taken at face value, don't expect schools to cut you any slack just because your first language isn't english.

At any rate, sounds like you can put together a solid application. Get a 170+ and you're set on Gtown, ~175 and Yale may be a possibility.

Good luck!

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm

You want to do an MA at the Walsh SFS? Me from ~6 years ago wants to shake your hand.

stiss87

Postby stiss87 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:51 pm

NayBoer wrote:You want to do an MA at the Walsh SFS? Me from ~6 years ago wants to shake your hand.

Yes I'd like to do a MA at the Edmund Walsh School of Foreign Service. It's my goal right now, but I might consider other MA's in the future. Why would you from about 6 years ago shake my hand?

stiss87

Postby stiss87 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Bolshoi wrote:Law schools will NOT translate grades from your foreign degree into a GPA. All they get is a report stating whether your grades are poor, average, above average and so on. I think there were only like 5 categories on my report. As long as you're grades are good it won't be a problem. Pass/fails won't make any difference. Soft factors such as model UN and languages probably won't help that much either. Frankly, I don't think schools care that much about oversees grades since they don't have to report your GPA. But if you know your rank it can be a good idea to state it in your application, particularly if you're in the top 10% or so.

Since you're an international student with no US grades, the most important thing in your application will be your LSAT. Take it seriously, it will determine where you will be able to go. Check the LSAT section of TLS, it can be really helpful. I think some schools genuinely like to get people from abroad, but you need to be competitive. I'm an international applicant and my LSAT got taken at face value, don't expect schools to cut you any slack just because your first language isn't english.

At any rate, sounds like you can put together a solid application. Get a 170+ and you're set on Gtown, ~175 and Yale may be a possibility.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help! I'm definitely taking the LSAT seriously. I'm taking it in October and, believe me, I will study all summer long! I didn't expect that schools would cut me any slack because my first language isn't English, but I'm used to it. My first language is Italian and I'm currently attending University in Zurich where all my classes are taught in German.
We don't have ranks at our University, and I'm pretty sure that me guessing isn't going to do any good.
May I ask where are you from and which Universities did you get in?

Bolshoi

Postby Bolshoi » Wed May 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Nessuno problema. Even if you don't know your overall rank maybe you can get a prof. to say you were in the top 10% of that class or something to help put your grades in context. But it's no big deal. In my case it seems that admissions committees just disregarded my foreign grades, which sort of makes sense.

Ho scritto un messaggio anche.

Return to “What are my chances?”