UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thisismynewalt
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am

UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby thisismynewalt » Sun May 09, 2010 10:41 am

Every time someone with a 3.1/172 asks about chances people invariably say they can't get UCLA because of GPA. Actually people like that do get in because I know two (anecdotal, but I don't know more than a handful of people's scores so take that for what it's worth.) In both cases they have been out for a few years, but that's the only mitigating factor. No great softs, no URM, and straight up admitted, not WL.

Adjust conventional wisdom accordingly.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby Cupidity » Sun May 09, 2010 10:50 am

:shock:

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby redsox » Sun May 09, 2010 10:56 am

What?

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby FuManChusco » Sun May 09, 2010 4:13 pm

http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

UCLA is pretty much red and yellow below 3.5. Your friends are an exception not the rule.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun May 09, 2010 4:16 pm

yes i will call your two friends and raise w/ my hundreds of data points that prove otherwise

lol of course it can still happen, but it is "conventional wisdom" because generally, UCLA isnt very nice towards low GPA applicants relative to other similar schools

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby flyingpanda » Sun May 09, 2010 4:43 pm

thisismynewalt wrote:Every time someone with a 3.1/172 asks about chances people invariably say they can't get UCLA because of GPA. Actually people like that do get in because I know two (anecdotal, but I don't know more than a handful of people's scores so take that for what it's worth.) In both cases they have been out for a few years, but that's the only mitigating factor. No great softs, no URM, and straight up admitted, not WL.

Adjust conventional wisdom accordingly.


Hey... alts are frowned upon. Reported

Also...anecdotes ftl.

thisismynewalt
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby thisismynewalt » Mon May 10, 2010 10:09 am

DoubleChecks wrote:yes i will call your two friends and raise w/ my hundreds of data points that prove otherwise

lol of course it can still happen, but it is "conventional wisdom" because generally, UCLA isnt very nice towards low GPA applicants relative to other similar schools


I posted this because I saw a thread in which a splitter was told not to apply to UCLA because of low GPA. I think it's fair to tell someone not to bother applying to Boalt with a 3.1 and no great softs, especially because I heard Dean Tom actually say that the lowest GPA they accepted out of all applicants for the class of 2011 was a 3.3. But to tell someone not to apply to UCLA because they're a splitter seems over the top and could possibly result in a missed opportunity. It's also possible the Dean Schill started admitting more splitters, since I'm sure one of his top goals for UCLA was T14dom. Last thing anyone would want is for someone not to get into the best school for them because of TLS. I realize you are not the person making this recommendation - I just want to put this out there so that people don't lose out.

Edit: said Dean Tom twice, second time meant Schill
Last edited by thisismynewalt on Mon May 10, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon May 10, 2010 12:44 pm

thisismynewalt wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:yes i will call your two friends and raise w/ my hundreds of data points that prove otherwise

lol of course it can still happen, but it is "conventional wisdom" because generally, UCLA isnt very nice towards low GPA applicants relative to other similar schools


I posted this because I saw a thread in which a splitter was told not to apply to UCLA because of low GPA. I think it's fair to tell someone not to bother applying to Boalt with a 3.1 and no great softs, especially because I heard Dean Tom actually say that the lowest GPA they accepted out of all applicants for the class of 2011 was a 3.3. But to tell someone not to apply to UCLA because they're a splitter seems over the top and could possibly result in a missed opportunity. It's also possible the Dean Tom started admitting more splitters, since I'm sure one of his top goals for UCLA was T14dom. Last thing anyone would want is for someone not to get into the best school for them because of TLS. I realize you are not the person making this recommendation - I just want to put this out there so that people don't lose out.


well someone w/ a 3.1/172 who wanted to stay in Cali or go to UCLA i would say yeah throw an app over. it isnt insane or anything. i wouldnt call it a good shot or probable, but possible.

if the poster, however, was really strapped for money and was only applying to x schools...well no, even then i guess UCLA could be his reach if he wanted to stay in cali haha.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:48 pm

While low GPA at UCLA is a longshot, it's not as much of a long shot as it used to be. They seem to be open to some splitters recently.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon May 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:While low GPA at UCLA is a longshot, it's not as much of a long shot as it used to be. They seem to be open to some splitters recently.


They also seem to pay attention to quality of UG a little more than their peers, particularly when it comes to splitters.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby flyingpanda » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:While low GPA at UCLA is a longshot, it's not as much of a long shot as it used to be. They seem to be open to some splitters recently.


They also seem to pay attention to quality of UG a little more than their peers, particularly when it comes to splitters.


F... U...

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby im_blue » Mon May 10, 2010 7:31 pm

thisismynewalt wrote:I think it's fair to tell someone not to bother applying to Boalt with a 3.1 and no great softs, especially because I heard Dean Tom actually say that the lowest GPA they accepted out of all applicants for the class of 2011 was a 3.3.


As long as we're using anecdotes, I know an AA female with a sub-3.0 GPA who is attending Boalt (not class of 2011 though).

SHANbangs
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 am

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby SHANbangs » Mon May 10, 2010 9:59 pm

This is a classic LSAT logic reasoning fallacy. LSAT studying for the winnnnnnnn! :lol:

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue May 11, 2010 12:35 am

I don't think UCLA is that big of a GPA whore.
It's probably easier for a splitter to get into UCLA than most of the T14.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I don't think UCLA is that big of a GPA whore.
It's probably easier for a splitter to get into UCLA than most of the T14.


Based on past numbers, no it's not (in terms of the lower T-14, no argument about T6+berkeley not being that splitter friendly)

From the last few years off LSN, ppl with 3.0-3.3 and 170-180:

University of Pennsylvania 40.87% 47 - 68
New York University 18.58% 21 - 92
University of Michigan Ann Arbor 40.57% 43 - 63
University of Virginia 30.2% 45 - 104
Duke University 17.07% 14 - 68
Georgetown University 60.22% 112 - 74
Northwestern University 60% 72 - 48
Cornell University 35% 21 - 39
University of California Los Angeles 26.73% 27 - 74

http://www.hourumd.com/?lsat=170-180&gp ... o&range=no

User avatar
kitt kat
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby kitt kat » Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm

I don't know what to say more ---

FUCLA for being so pretentiously stupid

or

FUSC for giving me a shit-for-brains, non-well rounded education and a useless BFA that brought down my GPA

woooo.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: UCLA takes people with low UG GPAs

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 12, 2010 9:51 pm

kitt kat wrote:I don't know what to say more ---

FUCLA for being so pretentiously stupid

or

FUSC for giving me a shit-for-brains, non-well rounded education and a useless BFA that brought down my GPA

woooo.


I think this is all a conspiracy so that the only lawyers in the state of California are hard-working idiots.. :roll:




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests