chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: chances?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Whats your major DoubleChecks?


oh my major was more of a unique case specific to my school lol, so unless you went there, i dont think it'd help/apply haha


lol I wasn't planning on changing majors or anything,, just wondering.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: chances?

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 06, 2010 6:23 pm

merichard87 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
merichard87 wrote:Whats your major DoubleChecks?


oh my major was more of a unique case specific to my school lol, so unless you went there, i dont think it'd help/apply haha


lol I wasn't planning on changing majors or anything,, just wondering.


haha sry, i just didnt feel like completely outing myself :P

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: chances?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Cool. not a biggie.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: chances?

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu May 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Just my 2 cents... Your major doesn't matter

lawbuddha22 you can believe me a engineering major or pineapple guy who made up his own major

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: chances?

Postby merichard87 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:31 pm

lol @ pineapple guy.

If it makes any difference I have asked several deans/admissions officers who all indicated that they do weigh science majors differently. I'm not implying that it would be a huge boost but I imagine if all other things are fairly equal 3.5 poly sci < 3.3 engineering.
Last edited by merichard87 on Thu May 06, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: chances?

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 06, 2010 6:34 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Just my 2 cents... Your major doesn't matter

lawbuddha22 you can believe me a engineering major or pineapple guy who made up his own major


lol you're getting quite defensive, but i suppose? you're entitled to that? i dont want you to take this so personally...esp. since neither of us can definitively prove our stance

that being said, lawbuddha already said he was an international studies/political science major, so it doesnt even apply

besides, like i said, i only think it'd help in some situations, like applicant's w/ near or the exact same GPA's going head to head (all else being equal), which is hardly grounds for anyone to switch majors lol

merichard87 wrote:lol @ pineapple guy.

If it makes any difference I have asked several deans/admissions officers who all indicated that they do weigh science majors differently. I'm not implying that it would be a huge boost I imagine if all other things are fairly equal 3.5 poly sci < 3.3 engineering.


ive heard the same w/ the adcomms ive spoken to. your last bit though, the 3.5 poly sci < 3.3 engineering? i never heard specifics, and that seems to be quite a bump

i always imagined it as a very small positive soft, more reserved for situations like what i described above

wasnt there some TLS thread a few days ago about how certain schools like boalt and SLS want potential IP applicants?
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Thu May 06, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: chances?

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu May 06, 2010 6:36 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:Just my 2 cents... Your major doesn't matter

lawbuddha22 you can believe me a engineering major or pineapple guy who made up his own major


lol you're getting quite defensive, but i suppose? you're entitled to that? i dont want you to take this so personally...esp. since neither of us can definitively prove our stance

that being said, lawbuddha already said he was an international studies/political science major, so it doesnt even apply

besides, like i said, i only think it'd help in some situations, like applicant's w/ near or the exact same GPA's going head to head (all else being equal), which is hardly grounds for anyone to switch majors lol


Lol ok ok i dunno why i care so much agree to disagree!

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: chances?

Postby im_blue » Fri May 07, 2010 4:02 am

LateNight wrote:
im_blue wrote:A 3.0/168 has no shot at T18, but 19-30 might bite (especially splitter-friendly schools like WUSTL and Illinois).


What makes you think that WUSTL is splitter friendly? Their median GPA is 3.7

WUSTL: 3.3-3.7-3.8, 161-167-168
Illinois: 3.2-3.8-3.9, 160-166-167
Notice how the 25th-median difference is much larger than the median-75th difference. This results in a median much higher than the 25th/75th midpoint. You get that by taking splitters and reverse splitters in roughly equal numbers.

LateNight
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 am

Re: chances?

Postby LateNight » Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:LateNight wrote:
im_blue wrote:
A 3.0/168 has no shot at T18, but 19-30 might bite (especially splitter-friendly schools like WUSTL and Illinois).


What makes you think that WUSTL is splitter friendly? Their median GPA is 3.7

WUSTL: 3.3-3.7-3.8, 161-167-168
Illinois: 3.2-3.8-3.9, 160-166-167
Notice how the 25th-median difference is much larger than the median-75th difference. This results in a median much higher than the 25th/75th midpoint. You get that by taking splitters and reverse splitters in roughly equal numbers.
LateNight wrote:
im_blue wrote:A 3.0/168 has no shot at T18, but 19-30 might bite (especially splitter-friendly schools like WUSTL and Illinois).


What makes you think that WUSTL is splitter friendly? Their median GPA is 3.7

WUSTL: 3.3-3.7-3.8, 161-167-168
Illinois: 3.2-3.8-3.9, 160-166-167
Notice how the 25th-median difference is much larger than the median-75th difference. This results in a median much higher than the 25th/75th midpoint. You get that by taking splitters and reverse splitters in roughly equal numbers.


Thank you this makes sense!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawschool2017712 and 2 guests