What can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thecalifornialife

What can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

Postby thecalifornialife » Sun May 02, 2010 2:29 am

To simplify the information to make it easier for you:

Alma Mater: UCSB
B.A. degree: Political Science
Conservative estimate GPA: 2.8
Extracurriculars:
- Community College Honors Program Graduate
- Community College Political Science Club founding member
- CC Associated Student Body Senator
- CC Associated Student Body Treasurer
- Executive Member of the Republican Club at UCSB
- Worked at Albertsons for 1 year

I have to take a class over the summer at a CC to finish off my degree. I might take 2 to boast my grades some more.

I want to get into Pepperdine. It is my dream law school. If I could, I would sign whatever paperwork I needed to assure Pepperdine that I would officially go to their school. I'm trying to think of things I can do to improve my chances of getting accepted into Pepperdine. I don't plan on taking the LSAT unless my practice scores are 165 or higher. I'm also taking a year off to intern at either a law firm or some political association. During that time I will also be assisting my family run their business. What can I do to improve my chances? What other schools should I look into to applying?

MrKappus

Re: What can I do to improve my chances of getting in?

Postby MrKappus » Sun May 02, 2010 2:34 am

thecalifornialife wrote:To simplify the information to make it easier for you:

Extracurriculars:

I have to take a class over the summer at a CC to finish off my degree. I might take 2 to boast my grades some more.

I want to get into Pepperdine. It is my dream law school. If I could, I would sign whatever paperwork I needed to assure Pepperdine that I would officially go to their school. I'm trying to think of things I can do to improve my chances of getting accepted into Pepperdine. I don't plan on taking the LSAT unless my practice scores are 165 or higher. I'm also taking a year off to intern at either a law firm or some political association. During that time I will also be assisting my family run their business. What can I do to improve my chances? What other schools should I look into to applying?

I'm not sure I understand. Your "dream law school" is Pepperdine, but if you don't get a certain score on LSAT PT's, you're going to scrap law school entirely? As I imagine most on this board will be quick to tell you, your LSAT will be everything, especially w/ a lackluster GPA. Isn't Pepperdine religious? Maybe you could get really involved in your church.

thecalifornialife

Postby thecalifornialife » Sun May 02, 2010 2:43 am

MrKappus wrote:
thecalifornialife wrote:To simplify the information to make it easier for you:

Extracurriculars:

I'm not sure I understand. Your "dream law school" is Pepperdine, but if you don't get a certain score on LSAT PT's, you're going to scrap law school entirely? As I imagine most on this board will be quick to tell you, your LSAT will be everything, especially w/ a lackluster GPA. Isn't Pepperdine religious? Maybe you could get really involved in your church.

I meant, I am not going to take the test till I get a 165 or higher. If I don't reach it on my own, I'm going to take a KAPLAN class. I'm basically stating that l will only apply if I get a 165 or higher as a way to give an LSAT estimate.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun May 02, 2010 2:46 am

Oh. Gotcha. Good luck.

colemf

Postby colemf » Sun May 02, 2010 2:46 am

You can forget everything you have done or will do, the only two things that are going to matter are your GPA and LSAT, since your GPA is subpar you need to focus on nothing but your LSAT.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:51 am

"I want to get into Pepperdine. It is my dream law school. I don't plan on taking the LSAT unless my practice scores are 165 or higher."

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

with a 2.8 and a 165 your only a 36% consider at Pepperdine.

are you a URM? have you taken a practice LSAT?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I do not believe taking one extra class is going to boost your GPA significantly. I would think those hours would be better spent on LSAT prep.

Return to “What are my chances?”