Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Sub 3.0 GPA and 180 LSAT? Where would he/she get in?

Poll ended at Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Michigan only
0
No votes
Penn only
1
5%
UVA only
5
23%
Michigan/Penn
0
No votes
Michigan/UVA
5
23%
Penn/UVA
1
5%
Michigan/Penn/UVA
1
5%
None of them
9
41%
 
Total votes: 22

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Would an applicant with a 180 LSAT but with a GPA slightly below 3.0 NOT get into Michigan/Virginia/Penn ED?
Would he or she get into some but not others?

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby thickfreakness » Sat May 01, 2010 2:44 pm

None. NW would probably be your only taker.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby im_blue » Sat May 01, 2010 6:45 pm

thickfreakness wrote:None. NW would probably be your only taker.

TITCR

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 01, 2010 7:47 pm

thickfreakness wrote:None. NW would probably be your only taker.


I disagree.
Maybe Michigan/Penn ED is near impossible but not UVA.
I think it matters by when you apply.

Here are two sub 3.0 applicants who applied to UVA ED.. one who got in and one who didn't.
There is one huge difference between their applications.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sdedalus
(174/2.95): Applied Early Decision to UVA on September 24 and was accepted.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/encyclopediabrown
(177/2.95): Initially applied Regular Decision to UVA sometime in November and then switched his application to Early Decision on January 8 and then was denied.

I think timing plays a huge role.
I think if encyclopediabrown applied to UVA Early Decision at the same time sdedalus did, he would have likely gotten in..

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby whitman » Sat May 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Dude, enough masturbatory threads already. Focus on taking the LSAT and worry about the rest later. I will be shocked if you get a 180.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Applying really early will make a huge difference. I'm currently at UVA with a 3.0/170. It's possible (though getting harder every year). What matters is getting your app in as early as possible. Once seats fill up they fill up.

memaha
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby memaha » Sat May 01, 2010 11:14 pm

whitman wrote:Dude, enough masturbatory threads already. Focus on taking the LSAT and worry about the rest later. I will be shocked if you get a 180.


+180
Stop trying to analyze every possible hypothetical. Get an LSAT score and then freak out about it. But until then, this is pointless for you and not going to do anything besides make you think and worry about your law school future even more than you probably already are.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 02, 2010 12:29 am

memaha wrote:
whitman wrote:Dude, enough masturbatory threads already. Focus on taking the LSAT and worry about the rest later. I will be shocked if you get a 180.


+180
Stop trying to analyze every possible hypothetical. Get an LSAT score and then freak out about it. But until then, this is pointless for you and not going to do anything besides make you think and worry about your law school future even more than you probably already are.


I know.. given my situation, it's hard not to worry about this.
I hate how my freshman year is going to send me to a TTT.
I know I can do really well on the LSAT.
And if worse comes to worse, I think I can break 3.0 by the end of my senior year.. it's just that this "GPA floor" doesn't exist and I have evidence of its lack of existence.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby im_blue » Sun May 02, 2010 12:42 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
memaha wrote:
whitman wrote:Dude, enough masturbatory threads already. Focus on taking the LSAT and worry about the rest later. I will be shocked if you get a 180.


+180
Stop trying to analyze every possible hypothetical. Get an LSAT score and then freak out about it. But until then, this is pointless for you and not going to do anything besides make you think and worry about your law school future even more than you probably already are.


I know.. given my situation, it's hard not to worry about this.
I hate how my freshman year is going to send me to a TTT.
I know I can do really well on the LSAT.
And if worse comes to worse, I think I can break 3.0 by the end of my senior year.. it's just that this "GPA floor" doesn't exist and I have evidence of its lack of existence.

Unless you're planning to take a year off, you'll need that 3.0 by the end of junior year to apply ED.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 02, 2010 12:47 am

im_blue wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:
memaha wrote:
whitman wrote:Dude, enough masturbatory threads already. Focus on taking the LSAT and worry about the rest later. I will be shocked if you get a 180.


+180
Stop trying to analyze every possible hypothetical. Get an LSAT score and then freak out about it. But until then, this is pointless for you and not going to do anything besides make you think and worry about your law school future even more than you probably already are.


I know.. given my situation, it's hard not to worry about this.
I hate how my freshman year is going to send me to a TTT.
I know I can do really well on the LSAT.
And if worse comes to worse, I think I can break 3.0 by the end of my senior year.. it's just that this "GPA floor" doesn't exist and I have evidence of its lack of existence.

Unless you're planning to take a year off, you'll need that 3.0 by the end of junior year to apply ED.


I don't think getting my GPA up to 3.0 is going to happen but I'll take my chances.
I've already seen evidence that sub 3.0's are getting into these places or does work experience actually matter here?
I just have a hard time believing that many lower T14 schools will completely throw away a 180 even if the GPA is a few tenths of a point below 3.0.
I think applying ED to UVA on September 1 with a high enough LSAT would give me a pretty good chance of getting in. I really do.

I haven't seen evidence to the contrary yet. If someone can show me a case in which a sub 3.0 with a 175+ LSAT applied to UVA Early Decision in September and didn't get in.. great! (Trujillo, UVA's Dean of Admissions explicitly says it's to one's advantage to apply early...) If not, you're not going to convince me otherwise.
Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Sun May 02, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby im_blue » Sun May 02, 2010 12:53 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I don't think getting my GPA up to 3.0 is going to happen but I'll take my chances.
I've already seen evidence that sub 3.0's are getting into these places or does work experience actually matter here?
I just have a hard time believing that many lower T14 schools will completely throw away a 180 even if the GPA is a few tenths of a point below 3.0.
I think applying ED to UVA on September 1 with a high enough LSAT would give me a pretty good chance of getting in. I really do.
I haven't seen evidence to the contrary yet.

If you apply on September 1 with a 170+, then you've got a shot. Sub 3.0's can be mitigated by a top UG, a grade-deflated major (science, engineering, etc), or work experience. Do you have any of these?
Last edited by im_blue on Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 am

im_blue wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I don't think getting my GPA up to 3.0 is going to happen but I'll take my chances.
I've already seen evidence that sub 3.0's are getting into these places or does work experience actually matter here?
I just have a hard time believing that many lower T14 schools will completely throw away a 180 even if the GPA is a few tenths of a point below 3.0.
I think applying ED to UVA on September 1 with a high enough LSAT would give me a pretty good chance of getting in. I really do.
I haven't seen evidence to the contrary yet.

Sub 3.0's can be mitigated by a top UG, a grade-deflated major (science, engineering, etc), or work experience. Do you have any of these?


Yes. An UG ranked in the top 10 by US News and a math major.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby im_blue » Sun May 02, 2010 12:55 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I don't think getting my GPA up to 3.0 is going to happen but I'll take my chances.
I've already seen evidence that sub 3.0's are getting into these places or does work experience actually matter here?
I just have a hard time believing that many lower T14 schools will completely throw away a 180 even if the GPA is a few tenths of a point below 3.0.
I think applying ED to UVA on September 1 with a high enough LSAT would give me a pretty good chance of getting in. I really do.
I haven't seen evidence to the contrary yet.

Sub 3.0's can be mitigated by a top UG, a grade-deflated major (science, engineering, etc), or work experience. Do you have any of these?


Yes. An UG ranked in the top 10 by US News and a math major.

Then you've got a decent shot with a high enough June LSAT. Good luck!

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun May 02, 2010 12:58 am

im_blue wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:I don't think getting my GPA up to 3.0 is going to happen but I'll take my chances.
I've already seen evidence that sub 3.0's are getting into these places or does work experience actually matter here?
I just have a hard time believing that many lower T14 schools will completely throw away a 180 even if the GPA is a few tenths of a point below 3.0.
I think applying ED to UVA on September 1 with a high enough LSAT would give me a pretty good chance of getting in. I really do.
I haven't seen evidence to the contrary yet.

Sub 3.0's can be mitigated by a top UG, a grade-deflated major (science, engineering, etc), or work experience. Do you have any of these?


Yes. An UG ranked in the top 10 by US News and a math major.

Then you've got a decent shot with a high enough June LSAT. Good luck!


Thanks im blue!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Michigan, Virginia, Penn ED?

Postby Helmholtz » Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 am

Congrats on the 180, dude, that's a huge accomplishment!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests