What is the minimum score I need to get on the LSAT?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dlbuhr

What is the minimum score I need to get on the LSAT?

Postby dlbuhr » Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 am

3.375 GPA with the summer and fall semester still to go. Double major in anthropology and biology with a minor in history. Just wondering what I would have to score on the LSAT in order to have a shot at getting into any of these schools. Additionally, I'm looking into either environmental or international law if anyone wants to suggest additional schools.

Georgetown
George Washington
UC-Berkeley
Boston College
NYU
Columbia
Tulane
Colorado
Cornell
Duke
Stanford
Virginia
UCLA

Grad09

Re: What is the minimum score I need to get on the LSAT?

Postby Grad09 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:19 am

dlbuhr wrote:3.375 GPA with the summer and fall semester still to go. Double major in anthropology and biology with a minor in history. Just wondering what I would have to score on the LSAT in order to have a shot at getting into any of these schools. Additionally, I'm looking into either environmental or international law if anyone wants to suggest additional schools.

Georgetown
George Washington
UC-Berkeley
Boston College
NYU
Columbia
Tulane
Colorado
Cornell
Duke
Stanford
Virginia
UCLA

Assuming you finish strong and bump up to a mid 3.4 GPA, I would guess you need a:

175 +good softs for Stanford

173 + good softs for NYU/Columbia

170 and a great PS for Virginia ED

171 + good softs for Duke/Berkeley (still a toss-up)

169/170 for UCLA/Cornell

168 should lock you everywhere else. Don't know much about Tulane or Colorado though.

Aim for 180 from the start. Good Luck.

Postby 20121109 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:23 am

I'd imagine Stanford would be OUT with that GPA, no matter the LSAT score.

You would probably have to ED to have a shot at NYU/Columbia, even with a 173+ and good softs.

<3

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat May 01, 2010 11:25 am

You should really be aiming for 180 so I feel like I shouldn't answer this thread, but here it goes:

Stanford- Unfortunately, no one with a 3.4 gets in here. You would probably need at least a 3.7 to be competitive, and even then you're on the outside looking in.

NYU/Columbia- Need to get to about a 3.5 to feel safe, then 173+.

UVA/UCLA/Berkeley/GULC- 170. The UVA is a hard cutoff while the other three are less so, but all of the UC's weight GPA highly so they are very long shots without a 170.

Duke- 169.

Cornell- 168.

GW/BC- 166. Probably higher to be safe though.

Tulane/Colorado- Somewhere in the neighborhood of 163?

Good luck.

Xptboy

Postby Xptboy » Sat May 01, 2010 11:45 am

above 170 to get into any of the T14 with a 3.4 GPA I'd guess.

Stanford is out, Columbia and NYU are also out unless you get 176+ or you ED, and even then, prolly out

dunno about the others, but I agree with GeePee on a whole

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 01, 2010 12:29 pm

dlbuhr wrote:3.375 GPA with the summer and fall semester still to go. Double major in anthropology and biology with a minor in history. Just wondering what I would have to score on the LSAT in order to have a shot at getting into any of these schools. Additionally, I'm looking into either environmental or international law if anyone wants to suggest additional schools.

Georgetown : 171
George Washington: 167
UC-Berkeley: 178
Boston College: 167
NYU: 175
Columbia: 177
Tulane: 163
Colorado: 165
Cornell: 169
Duke: 172
Stanford: 180
Virginia: 173
UCLA: 170

Overall, I think TLS underestimates how far a high LSAT can take an applicant in the law school admissions process.
Also keep in mind that this is more so what you need to have a decent shot rather than a guarantee of getting in.
Some favor GPA more than others though.. with that said I think Stanford and Berkeley will be the toughest schools for you to get in.
Best of luck!

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 pm

Georgetown - 170+
UC-Berkeley - not happening, maybe with 178+
NYU - 174+
Columbia - 176+
Cornell - 170+
Duke - 172+
Stanford - not happening, even with a 180
Virginia 172+

The rest I don't really know enough to say.

Basically, you are below 25th at pretty much ever T14, so you will have to hit above the 75th LSAT to have a legitimate shot. Exceptions are Stanford and Berkeley which really like high GPAs - you might be out of luck there.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sat May 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Georgetown : 171
George Washington: 167
UC-Berkeley: 178
Boston College: 167
NYU: 175
Columbia: 177
Tulane: 163
Colorado: 165
Cornell: 169
Duke: 172
Stanford: 180
Virginia: 173
UCLA: 170

Overall, I think TLS underestimates how far a high LSAT can take an applicant in the law school admissions process.
Also keep in mind that this is more so what you need to have a decent shot rather than a guarantee of getting in.
Some favor GPA more than others though.. with that said I think Stanford and Berkeley will be the toughest schools for you to get in.
Best of luck!

You've never been in a splitter thread, have you?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Grad09 wrote:

Georgetown
George Washington
UC-Berkeley
Boston College
NYU
Columbia
Tulane
Colorado
Cornell
Duke
Stanford
Virginia
UCLA

Assuming you finish strong and bump up to a mid 3.4 GPA, I would guess you need a:

175 +good softs for Stanford

173 + good softs for NYU/Columbia

170 and a great PS for Virginia ED

171 + good softs for Duke/Berkeley (still a toss-up)

169/170 for UCLA/Cornell

168 should lock you everywhere else. Don't know much about Tulane or Colorado though.

Aim for 180 from the start. Good Luck.

No chance in hell at Stanford or Berkeley, also probably Duke.
179-180 for NYU/CLS.
171+ for Virginia.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Overall, I think TLS underestimates how far a high LSAT can take an applicant in the law school admissions process.
Best of luck!

No. TLS estimates properly. Schools have GPA floors. They look like this:

YHSB: 3.7
CLS/NYU/D: 3.5
MVP: 3.0

Occasionally a 3.4 will get into B, or a 3.6 into YHS, but those are very rare, and are usually the result of strong softs, and not LSAT score.

violinst

Postby violinst » Sat May 01, 2010 2:16 pm

You will need a 170 for Cornell.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat May 01, 2010 2:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Overall, I think TLS underestimates how far a high LSAT can take an applicant in the law school admissions process.
Best of luck!

No. TLS estimates properly. Schools have GPA floors. They look like this:

YHSB: 3.7
CLS/NYU/D: 3.5
MVP: 3.0

Occasionally a 3.4 will get into B, or a 3.6 into YHS, but those are very rare, and are usually the result of strong softs, and not LSAT score.

I've seen a few sub 3.0's with 175+ LSATs get into MVP.. in particular if they apply ED.. and don't apply ED to UVA in the middle of January!!

Return to “What are my chances?”