Amherst College Student 3.72 GPA, 170 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LordJeff

Amherst College Student 3.72 GPA, 170 LSAT

Postby LordJeff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, the subject line says it all. I go to Amherst College. I have a 3.72 and a 170 LSAT. I am double majoring in Economics ans Psychology and I will be writing an Honors thesis next year.

I am in state in Texas and I am wondering, would it be dumb to go to a lower top14 for more money? Also, does applying Early action help?

Basically, I am looking at these schools.
What do you think I have a shot at? Money at?

Thanks.

Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
Duke
UC Berkley
Georgetown
UVA
Cornell
Michigan
Texas
Vandy
USC
UCLA

dakatz

Re: Amherst College Student 3.72 GPA, 170 LSAT

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm

I doubt you will get into anything but a lower T-14, since most people with a 170 LSAT don't get into the top 6 or so schools. So its really not a matter of "Top 6 or lower T14 with money?". Your question should most likely be, mid to lower T-14, or T25 with very big money. Anything from Duke down, I think you have a real good shot at, perhaps with the exception of Berkeley.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:55 pm

LordJeff wrote:Well, the subject line says it all. I go to Amherst College. I have a 3.72 and a 170 LSAT. I am double majoring in Economics ans Psychology and I will be writing an Honors thesis next year.

I am in state in Texas and I am wondering, would it be dumb to go to a lower top14 for more money? Also, does applying Early action help?

Basically, I am looking at these schools.
What do you think I have a shot at? Money at?

Thanks.

[strike]Stanford[/strike]
[strike]Columbia[/strike]
[strike]Chicago[/strike]
Duke
UC Berkley
Georgetown
UVA
Cornell
Michigan
Texas
Vandy
USC
UCLA

In bold, out strike, rest is up in the air/WL.

dlac

Postby dlac » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm

I think you have a decent shot at Stanford depending on how impressive your LORs and Personal Statement turn out. I know high 160s that got into Stanford (albeit with a slightly higher GPA, so it's a wash).

Subtle Penn troll?

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm

dakatz wrote:I doubt you will get into anything but a lower T-14, since most people with a 170 LSAT don't get into the top 6 or so schools. So its really not a matter of "Top 6 or lower T14 with money?". Your question should most likely be, mid to lower T-14, or T25 with very big money. Anything from Duke down, I think you have a real good shot at, perhaps with the exception of Berkeley.

I have a 170 and got into all of HYS, etc. It can be done...I wouldn't cross them off your list just yet!

edit: Since you have a year left of school, try to increase that GPA a bit. It will definitely boost your chances at a T10 school.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

(My Predictions.. keep in mind I'm just a 0L)

Stanford: Reject
Columbia: Reject
Chicago: Waitlist
Duke: Accept
UC Berkley: Waitlist
Georgetown: Accept
UVA: Waitlist
Cornell: Accept with $
Michigan: Accept
Texas: Accept with $
Vandy: Accept
USC: Accept with $
UCLA: Accept

wjnahill

Postby wjnahill » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm

First of all, let me just say go Lord Jeffs. Best of luck with your cycle from a fellow alumni of the fairest college. I agree with the poster above in thinking that Michigan is likely you're best bet out of the top 10, although Penn is also a possibility. (any particular reason why you don't list Penn?)

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm

My guesses:

Stanford: Out (GPA is low)
Columbia: Out/WL (LSAT is low)
Chicago: Out/WL (LSAT is low)
UC Berkley: Out (GPA is low)
Georgetown: In
UVA: In/WL
Cornell: In
Michigan: In
Texas: In, maybe with some $
Vandy In, maybe with some $
USC: In, maybe with some $
UCLA: In

If you can raise your LSAT (not sure if this is feasible/an option), you might stand a better shot at Chicago and Columbia.

As far as your other questions, EA at Texas helps slightly, but there's virtually no downside to doing it so you should. If you want to practice in Texas, you should take Texas over lower T14s. If you want to practice elsewhere it's a less compelling option.

MapacheGrande

Postby MapacheGrande » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

I applied in October with a 3.7/170, here's what I got:

Columbia - W/L
Chicago - W/L
Duke - In
Georgetown - In
UVA - W/L
Cornell - In ($$)

I sent applications to 12 schools in total, and basically only got into the ones that were listed as "strong consider" and "admit" on Law School Predictor. Certainly not complaining, they're called "reach" schools for a reason, I guess. Good luck!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:14 pm

In: Duke, Georgetown, Cornell, Michigan, Texas, Vandy, USC, UCLA
Maybe: Berkeley, UVA
Out: Stanford (low GPA), Columbia (low LSAT), Chicago (below both medians)

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Your personal statement may be the biggest determining factor. As an Eph, I can honestly say that being at a high caliber liberal arts school means some schools you'll apply to may add to your GPA. Best of luck the rest of your undergrad career...senior year is likely to be the best one (both in experience and GPA, if you dedicate yourself).

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

dakatz wrote:I doubt you will get into anything but a lower T-14, since most people with a 170 LSAT don't get into the top 6 or so schools. So its really not a matter of "Top 6 or lower T14 with money?". Your question should most likely be, mid to lower T-14, or T25 with very big money. Anything from Duke down, I think you have a real good shot at, perhaps with the exception of Berkeley.

Why would you word it like that? Subtle Berkeley trolling!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 pm

hoopsguy6 wrote:

Because Berkeley is a blatant GPA whore (median 3.83, 25th 3.69).

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:56 pm

im_blue wrote:
hoopsguy6 wrote:

Because Berkeley is a blatant GPA whore (median 3.83, 25th 3.69).

You missed the point.

prelaw10

Postby prelaw10 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Agree with Strangelove. Also, undergrad doesn't matter for admissions. THough a rigorous education at Amherst might help once you're IN law school.

Dr. Strangelove wrote:(My Predictions.. keep in mind I'm just a 0L)

Stanford: Reject
Columbia: Reject
Chicago: Waitlist
UC Berkley: Waitlist
Georgetown: Accept
UVA: Waitlist
Cornell: Accept with $
Michigan: Accept
Texas: Accept with $
Vandy: Accept
USC: Accept with $