3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
eleutheria
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby eleutheria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I'm going to be graduating from the University of Chicago (ranked #8 by USNWR) with a 3.4GPA.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on spending the summer studying and then taking the exam in the fall.

I would love to be accepted to UIllinois.

However, I am terrified that my GPA will keep me out, regardless of whatever LSAT score I may get. That said, it isn't by any means considered a "bad" GPA at my school.

Will the fact that I went to the University of Chicago help my case? What kind of LSAT score would I be needing?

In addition, I can get very strong recs from top profs at my school.

Thanks, everyone!

thisguy456
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby thisguy456 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:51 pm

eleutheria wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I'm going to be graduating from the University of Chicago (ranked #8 by USNWR) with a 3.4GPA.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on spending the summer studying and then taking the exam in the fall.

I would love to be accepted to UIllinois.

However, I am terrified that my GPA will keep me out, regardless of whatever LSAT score I may get. That said, it isn't by any means considered a "bad" GPA at my school.

Will the fact that I went to the University of Chicago help my case? What kind of LSAT score would I be needing?

In addition, I can get very strong recs from top profs at my school.

Thanks, everyone!


167-168 should get you there.

http://illinois.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:52 pm

A 3.4 is a respectable GPA. By no means will you be locked out of of UIUC with that GPA. In fact, the only schools you will probably be locked out of with that GPA is Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. With a high enough LSAT, schools from Columbia on down could be possibilities. Focus your energy on the LSAT, and after you get your score you will have a better idea of what schools you should be shooting for. For a better idea of what LSAT scores are necessary for certain schools based on your GPA, take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Good luck!

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 pm

eleutheria wrote:Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I'm going to be graduating from the University of Chicago (ranked #8 by USNWR) with a 3.4GPA.

I haven't taken the LSAT yet but plan on spending the summer studying and then taking the exam in the fall.

I would love to be accepted to UIllinois.

However, I am terrified that my GPA will keep me out, regardless of whatever LSAT score I may get. That said, it isn't by any means considered a "bad" GPA at my school.

Will the fact that I went to the University of Chicago help my case? What kind of LSAT score would I be needing?

In addition, I can get very strong recs from top profs at my school.

Thanks, everyone!

the school you went to for undergrad isn't really going to matter. it just depends on your lsdas gpa and lsat score. for UIUC it would be hard to get in there with anything less than a 166. with your gpa and a 166, it would be considered a target school (a little more than 50/50 shot). with a 167/168 or more, you could consider it to be a strong target ~75% chance of being admitted.

eleutheria
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby eleutheria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Excellent. Thanks, everyone. Looks like I am really going to need to focus on getting a good LSAT score.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm

I got accepted to Illinois with a 3.26 UGPA and a 171 LSAT, with a generous scholarship. I think if your LSAT is good, then 3.4 is definitely competitive.

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby TCScrutinizer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:A 3.4 is a respectable GPA. By no means will you be locked out of of UIUC with that GPA. In fact, the only schools you will probably be locked out of with that GPA is Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. With a high enough LSAT, schools from Columbia on down could be possibilities. Focus your energy on the LSAT, and after you get your score you will have a better idea of what schools you should be shooting for. For a better idea of what LSAT scores are necessary for certain schools based on your GPA, take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Good luck!


There are a couple of other schools in the T14 that aren't very friendly to sub-3.5 GPAs. Boalt comes to mind.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:08 pm

TCS wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:A 3.4 is a respectable GPA. By no means will you be locked out of of UIUC with that GPA. In fact, the only schools you will probably be locked out of with that GPA is Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. With a high enough LSAT, schools from Columbia on down could be possibilities. Focus your energy on the LSAT, and after you get your score you will have a better idea of what schools you should be shooting for. For a better idea of what LSAT scores are necessary for certain schools based on your GPA, take a look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com. Good luck!


There are a couple of other schools in the T14 that aren't very friendly to sub-3.5 GPAs. Boalt comes to mind.

It's true that Boalt likes high GPA's, but with a high enough LSAT score I don't think the OP's GPA would preclude them from Boalt like it would at HYS. Boalt is more of a black box when it comes to admission, and given a great LSAT score it would definitely be worth the app fee to see if Boalt will bite.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I have like a 2.6x and I'm aiming for UIUC as one of my potential schools. They'll take almost anyone with a 170+ and with a 3.4 you're probably good to go with a 167. They are one of the most splitter friendly schools in the nation.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:45 pm

You should get into Illinois with a 166-167 LSAT.

User avatar
Fast_Fingers
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby Fast_Fingers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I have like a 2.6x and I'm aiming for UIUC as one of my potential schools. They'll take almost anyone with a 170+ and with a 3.4 you're probably good to go with a 167. They are one of the most splitter friendly schools in the nation.


QFT. I had a 3.1 but with a 169 I got a really nice scholarship and even a sweet 4GB stainless steel thumb drive.

User avatar
tallboone
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 12:27 am

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby tallboone » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:29 pm

A UofC (and any prestigious) undergrad degree is definitely seen as a soft plus factor in the admissions process, and I think adcomms know about the harsh grading scale in hyde park. Just kill the LSAT and you'll be fine, even if you want to stay at UofC or go to Northwestern.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 pm

tallboone wrote:A UofC (and any prestigious) undergrad degree is definitely seen as a soft plus factor in the admissions process, and I think adcomms know about the harsh grading scale in hyde park. Just kill the LSAT and you'll be fine, even if you want to stay at UofC or go to Northwestern.

Chicago's grade deflation is a pervasive myth - their average GPA was a 3.35 in 2006, which is comparable to or slightly lower than other elite privates, and higher than almost all publics. They probably got that reputation from the 2.5 avg GPA back in the 1960s...
http://www.gradeinflation.com/chicago.html

eleutheria
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby eleutheria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Okay, so basically I just have to kill the LSAT. Hopefully that will help.

I know a lot of people at my school with drastically lower GPAs than mine, and the ones with higher GPAs tend to have "fluffier" majors. Maybe it just depends on one's major. Most people don't talk about it, though.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: 3.4 from the University of Chicago looking into UIllinois

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:33 pm

im_blue wrote:
tallboone wrote:A UofC (and any prestigious) undergrad degree is definitely seen as a soft plus factor in the admissions process, and I think adcomms know about the harsh grading scale in hyde park. Just kill the LSAT and you'll be fine, even if you want to stay at UofC or go to Northwestern.

Chicago's grade deflation is a pervasive myth - their average GPA was a 3.35 in 2006, which is comparable to or slightly lower than other elite privates, and higher than almost all publics. They probably got that reputation from the 2.5 avg GPA back in the 1960s...
http://www.gradeinflation.com/chicago.html


my school's gpa average is a 3.0. that my friends is what you call a harsh grading scale.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawschool2017712 and 2 guests