Transferring Law Schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
holliebell

New

Transferring Law Schools

Post by holliebell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:35 pm

I start law school in August, but I will be looking to try and transfer after my first semester. Should I retake the LSAT this June (even though I'm already admitted) hoping that it will affect my ability to transfer, or will only first semester grades determine my transfer ability?

TIA!

bconly

New

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by bconly » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:41 pm

If you transfer, it'll almost be 100% about your grades. You could take the LSAT, and if you score much higher than before, withdraw (lose your deposit), and reapply for next year to your target schools.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Do NOT attend a law school based on the notion that you will be able to transfer. This is a poor decision that you will likely end up regretting, since it is extremely difficult to predict how well you will do in law school based on the arbitrariness of law school grading and the presence of a mandatory curve. If you seek to gain acceptance to a better school, retake your LSAT and reapply; do not attend a school where you would not feel comfortable graduating from.

holliebell

New

Post by holliebell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 pm

mistergoft wrote:Do NOT attend a law school based on the notion that you will be able to transfer. This is a poor decision that you will likely end up regretting, since it is extremely difficult to predict how well you will do in law school based on the arbitrariness of law school grading and the presence of a mandatory curve. If you seek to gain acceptance to a better school, retake your LSAT and reapply; do not attend a school where you would not feel comfortable graduating from.
I'm okay graduating where I'm in (I'm actually in one school right now waitlisted at another, lol... damn wait lists are brutal!). I would like to transfer, but I'm not banking on it.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm

mistergoft wrote:Do NOT attend a law school based on the notion that you will be able to transfer. This is a poor decision that you will likely end up regretting, since it is extremely difficult to predict how well you will do in law school based on the arbitrariness of law school grading and the presence of a mandatory curve. If you seek to gain acceptance to a better school, retake your LSAT and reapply; do not attend a school where you would not feel comfortable graduating from.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”